Advice for living the dream in the big city of Rock Harbor?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Advice for living the dream in the big city of Rock Harbor?

Post by Midwest Ed »

When I posted my upcoming itinerary for staying at the Rock Harbor Lodge, I must admit I was being a little tongue in cheek but I really meant all of it. I'd never seen anyone post such an itinerary for a Lodge stay and I might have raised a few eye brows on some "purists". But recent health issues regarding walking have kept me down a little. The lodge is indeed expensive as hotels go but you certainly can't beat the location. They even cut me a little discount since I'm alone.

Each lodge stay comes with a 1/2 day of canoe rental. As far as reserving a time or additional days, I got the same response as Th3rh did, "Don't worry. It won't be a problem". Since I'm going solo, I think I'll plan to spend most of my canoe time in Tobin Harbor unless it's really calm on Rock Harbor. Making it to Merritt Lane would be cool but the Lookout Louise junction is more like it.

I plan to attempt the hike to the Lookout Louise "summit", a grand total elevation rise of 324 feet I think. Wish me luck.

I have noticed that it is a New Moon the week I'm there so I am really hoping for clear night skies for some sky watching. Not sure how far out from Rock Harbor I'll need to venture to get away from the big city light pollution. How's the Scoville Point trail in the dark? Or where's the closest clear area with a large view of the sky?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Advice for living the dream in the big city of Rock Harb

Post by hooky »

With a headlamp or light, I don't think the trail would be bad at all. If I remember correctly, there a few places along the shoreline with benches off the trail.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Hey Ed, my wife & I stayed 3 nights in the lodge earlier this summer. The Tobin Harbor dock is the best place for star gazing--there's no lights there. We set the alarm and went in the middle of the night hoping for aurora (no luck) but it was still great. You shouldn't have as many skeeters as we did either :). The America Dock gives the widest view, but you have a few lights behind you in the marina--totally open to the south though. If you're in a 1st floor room, the porch is darn nice too to the SE. The deck of the guest house is probably more open if there aren't lights on inside and I think it's pretty well blocked from other lights. I'd want a really good headlamp to venture down the Stoll trail at night, but you'll find an open shoreline quicker there than any other trail--I'd scout it out in the light though.

I did tire a little of the R.H. scene and the same food, but bottom line is I got out there! And out to Passage Island which is great. Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Hey there Ed!

I say get out there, do what you can, listen to your body (i.e., go as slow or as fast as you need to), and HAVE A BALL!!!!

Cheers,

Ernest T.
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

ETB:
I plan to venture out as far as I can without overdoing things. My fear is going too far and then having difficulty returning. I'm walking more and more every day here. No new injuries and things are looking up. I plan to spend a lot of time taking pictures (and eating Lake Trout). I would have loved for my son to come along but he's starting his last year of school.

Ingo:
Thanks for the open sky advice. I have requested a lower level room since the upper ones have no porch, just a bay window. Should I consider taking a folding chair or are there plenty?
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Ed,

I don't know if you have ever seen these, but they make canes that have a folding seat attachment that can be used in a pinch. Might be potentially useful.

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote:I have requested a lower level room since the upper ones have no porch, just a bay window. Should I consider taking a folding chair or are there plenty?
There were 2 plastic Adirondack style chairs on the porch that were plenty comfortable. And keep your window open at night (at least cracked), so the waves lapping on the rocks underneath it can put you to sleep :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote:And keep your window open at night (at least cracked), so the waves lapping on the rocks underneath it can put you to sleep :).
Most definitely. I'm hoping for night time wind and waves and daytime calm.

Any other words of advice will be warmly accepted.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Plan a day renting one of the motorboats and hike/visit Mott, Edison, Rolf's place ect.
Have a great trip, wish I were going!!!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

A motorboat day or half day is in the plans. That is unless my solo canoe skills prove excellent :lol: and the weather is too good to pass up. I would not think of soloing down Rock Harbor and back in one day. I actually plan to stick to Tobin Harbor with the canoe. With a motor boat though, I remember a gravel beach on the outward shore of the islands in Rock Harbor good for Greenstone hunting. Of course that was in the days before the rock hunting restrictions. But a day towards the Daisy Farm/Edison area (maybe even Moskey Basin) sounds good. I just upgraded my VHF radio to the SH HX300.

To change up the menu a little but mostly to pack some fresh trail or shore lunches, I'm thinking about taking a small thermoelectric cooler as the Lodge rooms have no kitchen facilities as the cabins do.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote:To change up the menu a little but mostly to pack some fresh trail or shore lunches, I'm thinking about taking a small thermoelectric cooler as the Lodge rooms have no kitchen facilities as the cabins do.
Sounds like a good idea. Or just drop a dry bag in the lake and tie it to a rock :). It would have been nice to have a little fridge. We brought a bag of our camping snacks (granola bars, cliff bars, nabs, applesauce in a pouch, etc.) and were glad we did. Worked for lunch a day or two while hiking, and
midnight snacks.