Hay Bay

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Hay Bay

Post by MikeT »

Hay Bay is one of the two campsites I have not stayed in on the island (the other being Lake Richie Canoe). After trying to get to both this spring and being stopped due to ice and snow, we are hoping to get to both this September. The question I have is in regards to the space available at Hay Bay. We go with the Dad's in the fall and become a group of 5 and I am wondering if there is enough space to comfortably fit 3 or 4 tents at Hay Bay :?: I have at least passed by Richie so I know what to expect, but I have not seen Hay Bay except from satellite.

Also, we might be doing a backcountry at Point Houghton and a day trip to Fisherman's Home. I've scoped out Point Houghton from the boat many times and it looks hospitable. If anyone can add information on that area, that would also help.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Hay Bay

Post by Damon S »

We camped there several years back and there is definitely enough room. Kinda of a grassy field and we camped there with a couple of canoers...we took the rear tent site and they camped along the trail going back to the dock. Should be no problem.

Damon...
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Hay Bay is popular with boaters, particularly those that come to the island to fish (fishing is good on the SW end of the island). So it's likely you'll find it in use.

I spent a night there. It was okay. There is a large tent area; no shelters. There is a pit toilet and a picnic table.

I think four tents (assuming 2-3 person) would be tight, but you could do it.
emanoh
NewbieCake

Post by emanoh »

I agree with Tampico. You should have room for those tents or spread out if there aren't any visitors. No trails connect to this site, but it is popular with boaters.

I've kayaked IR twice Most recently 3 weeks ago, and this was probably my least favorite near water site. Last time we were circumnavigating IR and didn't have time to explore, but some boaters we talked with said that Hay is a good place to spot Moose, I think there is a marshy creek to the west of the camp to explore.

It was so buggy and we were the only ones camping we lined our tent close to the boat dock to catch some wind.

Emanoh