Planning our first visit

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Planning our first visit

Post by DonNewcomb »

Since your GF is a novice, I would suggest that you avoid taking the Rock Harbor trail out of Rock Harbor. While it is scenic, there are some scrambles along this section that had me doubting if I was prepared for the rest of the week and which might just send the GF back to the lodge. Instead, I suggest you cross over and take the Tobin Harbor trail to the Three Mile cross-over. You can take the Rock Harbor trail back into Rock Harbor. Where I suggest you book a night at the lodge. Then when you hit the rough parts of the Rock Harbor trail, you just say, "Hot bath, flush toilet and restaurant dinner are just two miles ahead." Also, since the GF is a novice. I suggest you avoid "peak bagging" (logging as much miles as possible). Take it easy. Stay two nights at Daisy Farm. You want her to remember the experience as pleasant. My wife recalls our one night backpacking in Yellowstone like a "death march".
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

This thread interested me greatly about whether or not to bring a tent. Here are my personal thoughts. In terms of the time of year that the original poster said he was going, I personally feel as though getting a shelter would not be a problem if you are an early riser and are flexible with being willing to hike on to the next campground if the one you were planning on was full. In this particular person's case, going with a first time backpacker does not allow you this flexibility. Therefore, I would not have recommended going without a tent regarding his situation. Now on the note of temperature as some alluded to, on that note alone, if it was looking like it was going to be a chilly week based on looking at the weather reports ahead of time, I definitely would not go without a tent. Long story short...for me personally....I would roll the dice on not bringing a tent in the one or two week window following Labor Day. However, this is only because I tend to hike early in the morning on the east side of the island (more campsite/more shelters) and know that if I don't get a shelter at site A then Ill walk my heiny over to site B...and guess what...if site B does not workout....then on to site C I go. Long story short, you have to consider the time of year, ability of your fellow backpackers along with yourself, location on the island, and temperature.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

so we just got back... and ran into a group of 2 that didnt bring a tent to the west end because their coworkers said "there are shelters everywhere"... They had a rough go making the 12 miles from washington creek to Siskiwit and had to share a shelter with some others as they were all full when they got there. That wasnt the only bad advice they got, they also had quite heavy rented packs that did not fit... long story short do your own research and be prepaired!

Also christmas lights as a luxury item are probably ok... but not on top of an already 60+ pack.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

X mas lights.....say what ;)....you gotta be pullin a leg here? I AM IN TEARS HERE :D....thats funny! Sure hope you directed them here for a little help....if they go back.

I am sorry, its not really funny but I think that may be a little too luxury...or misery!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I think ENO sells a string of battery powered lights that twinkle and change color. They flash when the batteries get low. I think I'll pas. :D
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

tree rattt wrote:X mas lights.....say what ;)....you gotta be pullin a leg here? I AM IN TEARS HERE :D....thats funny! Sure hope you directed them here for a little help....if they go back.
Don't laugh tree. Especially since you're going to be carrying my Christmas lights in August. I like having my shelter environment decked out so that the trail ladies know where it's happening at night. Don't worry, I have this all figured out, you'll be thanking me later :wink:
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

not a joke... and they were the battery powered ones. A bit more preparation and they would have been a lot more comfortable on the trail!

Moral of the story... know what you are getting into, and plan according to your abilities. No use putting yourself through a bunch of pain for no reason.

According to the ranger they made it back and were hitting up the Budweiser in Windigo like it was their job... survival celebration!

I hope they learned from the experience and will help others to not make the same mistakes, would be a shame to loose potential backpackers to poor planning on a single trip.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Rafiki, do you want to bring your disco ball or mine? I do have an ultralight model for just such a happening! ;)