Boy Scout Trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JeffG
NewbieCake

Boy Scout Trip

Post by JeffG »

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some help in planning a 4 night 5 day 30 mile (approx. can go more) backpacking trip. We're planning on taking the Copper Harbor ferry and doing a loop of some sort and returning to Rock Harbor. We've got some younger boys and generally limit ourselves to 9 miles or less per day. We'd like to see some of the mines and other noteworthy sights if possible. Does anyone have a route that they may have done before that they would suggest?

Thanks!

Jeff
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Boy Scout Trip

Post by IncaRoads »

Welcome to the Isle Royale Forums. You made no mention of your group size. In a previous thread, Midwest Ed summed it up nicely.
Midwest Ed wrote:One important note is the size of your group. If it ends up being 7 total that qualifies as an "official group" according to the National Park Service and thus you must adhere to a special set of restrictions regarding camp sites, schedules, reservations and several other things. Also, it's more difficult to keep to schedules with a larger number of people, especially if anyone is less experienced or twists an ankle.
If you haven't already, check out the Isle Royale NPS brochures, especially the ones titled "Group Camping Guide" and "Group Trail Mileage". Not all campsites allow group camping. I believe that all the campsites on the eastern end of Isle Royale allow group camping except for Lane Cove. Here is the link… http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/brochures.htm

A possible route…
Night 1. Daisy Farm
Night 2. McCargoe Cove
Night 3. Moskey Basin
Night 4. Three Mile

An extra night would give you more flexibility in your itinerary.
JeffG
NewbieCake

Post by JeffG »

We're at 6 per group at this point and planning on keeping it that way. I'll have to read up some more. Thanks for the link!
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

One option. Night 1 in Daisy Farm. There is an old mine and some nice scenery on the way. Night 2 lake Ritchie. Night 3 McCargoe Cove. (Check out the mine) Night 4 Daisy Farm. Get up early and back to Rock and the boat.

If Daisy is too far on night 1 you could pull out at 3 mile and go night 2 at Moskey or Lake Ritchie. Then to McCargoe and Daisy.

Remember to pack extra water if you spend much time on the Greenstone Ridge.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Welcome JeffG!
Personally I would go for Three-Mile on day one to see how everyone does. Via the Tobin Harbor Trail.
Day Two: Daisy Farm
Day Three: McCargoe Cove if EVERYONE is up for it or, base camp at Daisy and day hike up the ridge
Day Four: Three-Mile via the Greenstone
Day Five: To Rock Harbor via Rock Harbor Trail

Have fun and enjoy!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

FYI. The Rangers are wise to breaking up your large group into two smaller individual parties of six or less. They will make sure you have two completely independent itineraries such that you are not in the same campground on the same night.

Refer to this old thread… http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 849#p11849
JeffG
NewbieCake

Post by JeffG »

IncaRoads wrote:FYI. The Rangers are wise to breaking up your large group into two smaller individual parties of six or less. They will make sure you have two
completely independent itineraries such that you are not in the same campground on the same night.

Refer to this old thread…
http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 849#p11849
We had 14 people going but at our last meeting two decided not to do it. We will keep this advice in mind when planning though. Thanks!
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

I took a Venturing Crew + one 12 year old Scout there last August. My advice, reserve iteniary and ferry tickets asap.

Our route: first night: 3mile, day 2: Moskey, Day 3 West Chickenbone with a day hike to MCcargoe (not an ideal group site, go directly to Mccargoe if you can). Day 4: Greenstone to Daisy Farm, Day 5 Rock Harbor via Greenstone and Tobin trail. We never had to back track with this hike except for the short section from Mccargoe back to Greenstone trail. Obviously, this was a five night trip so you'd have to alter it to your time constraints....maybe by hitting Daisy Farm on the first day and hiking direct to the Greenstone to reach Mccargoe in a reasonable time frame. All of the group sites were fine except W. Chickenbone, it was high above the lake in a clearing with little breeze and no shade.

Also, if you camp at 3mile your last night, you shouldn't have any problems reaching Rock Harbor in time for ferry departure. We did a sunrise hike to Scotville pt our last day because we were already in Rock Harbor (best moose sighting we had, with one in our camp :-))
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

One other thought: Make sure you pick sites with group campsites. Not all I.R. sites have these. I am more familiar with the west end of the island, so I cannot give much insight to your plans. I have taken scouts from McCargo up to the Greenstone and down to Windigo. We also had to split into two groups with no overlapping itineraries.
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Buckeye »

Hi Jeff,

I led a 5 night - 35 mile scout trip to IR back in 2011. We had 4 adults and 14 boys. We had the same challenges of dividing into groups and staying only in group sites. Here's how we did it. We divided our group into 8 and 10 people and ran the same itinerary 1 day apart. We used canoe fishing in Tobin Harbor as a side activity to stagger the groups.

Here are our itineraries with gps mileages:

Group1:
Day 1 - Arrive Rock Harbor - Hike to Daisy farm - 7.1 miles
Day 2 - Daisy Farm to West Chickenbone via Ojibway Tower - 9.1 miles
Day 3 - West Chickenbone to Moskey Basin with a fishing stop at Lake Richey - 6.0 miles
Day 4 - Moskey to Three Mile - 8.1 miles
Day 5 - Three mile to Rock Harbor Camp via Suzy's cave and Tobin Harbor Trail - 4.4 miles - Rental Canoes in Tobin Harbor in afternoon.
Day 6 - Ferry to Copper

Group2:
Day 1 - Arrive Rock Harbor - Setup camp in Rock Harbor - Rental Canoes in Tobin Harbor in afternoon.
Day 2 - Rock Harbor to Daisy farm - 7.1 miles
Day 3 - Daisy Farm to West Chickenbone via Ojibway Tower - 9.1 miles
Day 4 - West Chickenbone to Moskey Basin with a fishing stop at Lake Richey - 6.0 miles
Day 5 - Moskey to Three Mile - 8.1 miles
Day 6 - Three mile to Rock Harbor - 2.7 miles - Ferry to Copper Harbor

All 18 participants continue to say this is one the best trips ever. (That's with comparisons to backpacking Yellowstone, Philmont and the Smokey's.) My sons and I liked it so much, we have talked my wife into going with us on a family trip this summer.
It's a great trip for scouts of all skill levels. We had several that hadn't been in the backcountry before. Just make sure you have a good conditioning plan. The Rock Harbor Trial doesn't have a level step on it and most other trails are rough too. If you do the Daisy to West Chickenbone hike, take plenty of water. We each had 3 liters and most ran out.
The group sites worked great for us, except for Moskey Basin, which was overbooked. We happily shared one site with 2 other groups.

Other recommendations:
Make sure you do laundry by jumping into Lake Superior. I still hear scouts bragging about swimming in the 53 degree water! (It's easy to setup a safe swim defense area at most campsites.)
I wouldn't waste money on a fishing license to fish Lake Superior. Fishing inland lakes is where the action is. We easily caught fish at Chickenbone and Richey. Bring supplies for a shore lunch and clean more fish then you think you need. Teenage boys will eat more northern pike that anyone will believe!
If you go in later summer, you will find blueberries and thimbleberries everywhere. You can easily add them to breakfasts. We grazed while hiking, especially on the Greenstone Trail.
Camping at Fort Wilkins State park the night before going to the island is a good way to be close to docks for 7:00am loading.
If I can provide any additional info, I would be happy to help.

Enjoy your trip!
Evan
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Buckeye »

Oh, I forgot to add this....

Both of our groups had time to shower, pack up and have a celebration cheese burger in the Greenstone Grill on the day we left the island.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I took a group of Scouts there a few years back, and have gone three times on my own. Do not discount the group sites. One, Scouts are used to them. Two, most are quite nice. Three, boys will be boys and they really won't bother anyone, which will, I am sure, make the leaders more relaxed. I reccomend the group sites for groups like yours.
statsman4
NewbieCake

Post by statsman4 »

We did the Feldtman Loop with 3 adults and 7 scouts last year. The group sites were great and the scouts loved it.
JeffG
NewbieCake

Post by JeffG »

Got home Saturday from our trip. Had a great time. Beautiful weather. We had two groups of 6. Our group ended up going Rock Harbor to Lane Cove, Lane Cove to West Chickenbone, A morning trip W/O packs to McCargo Cove to check out the mines then back to camp and on to Lake Ritchie, Lake Ritchie to Daisy Farm, Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor.
It was more difficult than we thought it would be. The elevation changes and rocks and roots made it a challenge but we did well. I would encourage anyone considering this route to make sure if they have young kids or scouts that they're up to it. My son was the youngest at 13 and by the time we were descending into Lane Cove I was thinking we were making a big mistake but he was a trooper and never complained.

If I do it again in a few years with my younger son we'll probably go the route the other group took. Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm, Daisy Farm to Lake Ritchie, Lake Ritchie to East Chickenbone, East Chickenbone to 3 Mile, 3 Mile to Rock Harbor. It gives some time to relax, go swimming and such.
Donk_67
Trailblazer

Post by Donk_67 »

Glad to hear it was a good trip. How were the thimbleberries?