*Seven* Nights in August

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

rainelde
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: *Seven* Nights in August

Post by rainelde »

Just a FYI !!!!!
Last year we were held on the island for a whole day due to the queen not being able to get out of copper harbor to IR. We had depleated our food supply, and glad we had a few bucks to get a few things to hold us over. We almost got stuck on the island for another night. Boat arrived at 6:30pm. Just be prepared. We pulled into Copper Harbor at almost 11 pm. Good thing the bar was open till past midnight, I think the whole boat went there to eat.
mrgpk
NewbieCake

Re: Six Nights in August

Post by mrgpk »

boks wrote:
fonixmunkee wrote:
mihiker wrote:Plans have changed a little.
Thursday: McCargo to Lane Cove
This is the only part I have a comment on: it's a long, hot trek. Be prepared!
I second that but still doable. One thing to remember is there's no water between chickenbone and lane cove so if it's hot, you might run out. I did this same stretch but in reverse and I was rationing the water gulps the second half of the hike.

If Lane cove is open, it's a great place to spend the night. Site are right on the water and it's a loon haven. We might be stopping by on our canoe through at the end of July but not planning on camping.
I'm planning on hiking this same route. Looking at the Nat. Geog. trail map, I see that 1/2 mile S of the Greenstone it looks like the Daisy Farm trail splits a pond. Is it possible to pull water from there?