Lake Desor

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Lake Desor

Post by 3MTA3 »

I'm planning a trip this summer with & was wondering if anyone has bushwhacked from North Desor to South Desor. As I remember from my last trip in 2002, it would be extremely difficult to get from the north campground to the south.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Re: Lake Desor

Post by treeplanter »

I have not done this, but I have done some off-trail bushwhacking in the hardwood forests immediately west of Lake Desor. Walking through the hardwood forest is much easier than walking through the boreal forest which makes up much of Isle Royale. No spruce and balsam to fight and you can get a good line of site as to where you want to walk. Based on this, I’d recommend walking around the west portion of the lake, not the east.

BUT, you will also have to cross some large conifer swamps if you take the west route. I’ve ventured partway in a few of these swamps and they can be very wet in spots. Difficult to navigate in too.

If you have the time, a good topo map, know how to read the map, know how to pace, and know how to use a compass, you could probably make this hike. If you aren’t comfortable using any of what I just mentioned, I wouldn’t try this trip.

I spent my entire career in Natural Resources management and am very comfortable doing off-trail hiking. Isle Royale off-trail is a fascinating place.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I remember seeing a trip report where someone did this (a whole day from north to south)... What I remember of the report is it was very wet, and the rangers were reluctant to give them the permit. I dont remember who that was, and can't seem to find it right now, but check out the trip reports page maybe you will have better luck than me.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I've talked with a pair of hikers that attempted it, but turned back from getting whipped in the face with too many understory trees. I think they attempted along the East shore.

In general, I'd say off-trail bushwhacking works best on an "East to West" line vs "North to South." You can pick a ridge and follow it, sometimes fairly open vs the up and down ridge traverse (and trying to find that safe route) going 'across' the Isle.
For those that have never been to Isle Royale, admittedly this looks like a great way to get to hike the Minong and dart over to the Greenstone, for a shortened loop trail on the West side of the Isle. Heck, you could just walk the shore! Unfortunately, the reality is far more harsh, which is why I think the rangers try to caution folks about it.
Could you? Sure. Should you? Depends on your idea of fun... :wink:
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

Thanks for your input. It has been very helpful. I remember the lack of a shoreline on the lake and was curious about what the landscape around it looked like. I'm confident I could make the trip but I'm taking a pair of first-time backpackers & wouldn't want to put them through it. Thanks!