End to end trip which direction?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: End to end trip which direction?

Post by Donk_67 »

JR, excellent idea about Daisy to Lane with a side trip to Lookout Lousie. And Rainbow is definitely in my plans (fingers crossed that weather will cooperate). I realize some of this plan is aggressive and although I plan to train with several weekend backpacking trips planned in the LP, I will probably scale back some and slow my pace to enjoy the views more...not to mention time to collect berries. I wanted to be more aggressive than last year's hike, but I might find down time in the camp more enjoyable this year. After some thought, I think I'd rather start out in solitude and ease myself back into civilization with a better meal to be had in Rock Harbor at the end. I also have to consider that while I've manage to lighten my gear some, my trip is longer this year so my food weight will be up unless I arrange for a drop at McCargo.
statsman4
NewbieCake

Post by statsman4 »

Not sure how old your son is.......we took a group of 12 year olds last year on the Feldtman Loop. As you are aware, this loop has some long segments if you are going to bypass Island Mine. Had I had it to do over, we would have started from Rock Harbor with the lower mile days. Also, there are more opportunities to adjust the route. On the second half of the trip the kids get stronger and have less weight to carry. Not sure I would say the same for the adults. ;)

This year we are doing the Greenstone from Rock Harbor with a Hugginin Cove Loop in mid-May. No kids. We planned it this way in case we needed to adjust for whatever reason. Ice and snow was not on our minds then..........but is now. Good luck and have fun!
Donk_67
Trailblazer

Post by Donk_67 »

statsman, my son is 15 and he's a beast. sometimes, it's hard for me to keep up with him. Good luck with your mid-may trip...you might be one of the first vistors this year.