Itinerary with kids?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

wolverine27
NewbieCake

Itinerary with kids?

Post by wolverine27 »

We are visiting Isle Royale as part of a road trip we're taking this summer with our boys, who are 6 and 9. They've done a fair bit of hiking and camping, but are very excited to try backpacking. (My husband and I used to be avid backpackers, but haven't been since having kids). We're not sure which ferry we're going to take yet- we're coming from Michigan, but are ending up in Duluth before we turn around, so going to Grand Portage isn't that far out of our way (though the MI side would be easier). I was originally thinking it would be nice to base ourselves at Windigo and maybe rent canoes or kayaks for a day, do day hikes, and then spend one night at Huginnin Cove to get the backpacking experience. But we're doing a lot of camping on our trip, and I'm wondering if the kids are going to want to do more true backpacking and stay at a different site every night.

Does anyone have an itinerary to suggest for a 3 night trip with children? I want to stay pretty low with mileage because I'm not sure what they are capable of, but I think one 7-8 mile day would be ok if the other days were shorter. We're also trying not to spend a ton of money, so I'm not sure we'd be up for a water taxi unless there was a compelling reason. OR, do you think we should just do the Windigo/Huginnin plan?

Thanks!
Carrie
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Itinerary with kids?

Post by Ingo »

Welcome to the forums Carrie! I like your idea of Windigo with a night at Huginnin Cove. In fact I did that by myself one year: 1st night at Washington Creek, 2nd night at Huginnin, 3rd night back at Washington Creek. The Washington Creek campground is far enough away from Windigo proper (about 1/4 mile) to be quiet, it's a prime spot for moose, and you have a shelter so it's a little more comfortable than a tent. Huginnin Cove is beautiful and a good distance for the backpacking test for the boys, about 5 miles one way. And if you want to stay 2 nights there you can, and still make the boat in the afternoon. You'll also save on the ferry costs, since Windigo is the cheapest spot to get to. With the option to rent canoes/kayaks, and to day hike towards Feldtman Lake if you want, I think there's more than enough there to keep the boys occupied (and you :) ).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
IRexpat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by IRexpat »

First, absolutely do come to IR, don't let this part of the vaca slip away for minor logistical reasons.

If you're coming from MI, coming to IR via Duluth would mean you'd have to be out of Duluth by oh-dark-thirty to ensure that you'd make the Sea Hunter (not much traffic in the early AM, but it's a long drive), and the return trips get you to the dock in the late afternoon, with a few hours of afternoon/evening driving on 61, which can get sloooow... you'll get back to Duluth in the evening.

I'll say you'll certainly see a moose if you stay overnight at Washington Creek; we've yet to be skunked in 5 straight years, usually a cow and calf tromping through the creek at night. Beautiful creatures, but nosier than heck.

Huginnin Cove is certainly doable for a 6 year old with a sense of adventure, and a short detour will take you to some copper mine ruins (just up Minong).
It's not Heaven, but they can see IR from there...
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

There is a resident camp moose with a calf or 2 every year at Washington Creek, so you should see a moose (hopefully not up close however).

As you mention that you may rent canoes or kayaks, Beaver Island Campground is a short paddle from Windigo. There is adventure potential in paddling to a campground as opposed to hiking to a campground. Like Washington Creek, Beaver Island has shelters.

There are some shorter trails in the Windigo/Washington Creek area which might be interesting for a 6 and 9 year old as well.

Good luck!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

wolverine27, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who could share pictures of a cow (moose) and her twins from 2010 at Washington Creek campground. Hope you take your kids to ISRO. jerry
dbarnes85
NewbieCake

Post by dbarnes85 »

Carrie,

Your kids will have a great time! My dad has been to the island every year at least once since he was 18, he turns 60 this year. So of course my first trip was very young, I was 6 as well.

I would recommend taking the Queen out of Copper Harbor, it is a bigger boat and its a bit smoother ride if the lake is rough. Plus on that side of the Island from Rock harbor you can see a few more places with the few days you have. Also the trails are easy and its typically closer between camp grounds.

If you can, make it head out to Daisy's Farm the first day. It's a pretty easy 7 mile hike with places to refill water if needed. Then Head back to 3 mile the second night, then to Rock Harbour the last night. I would reccomend leaving early in the morning to get to Rock Harbour as it is always busy. But there is always a ton going on that you can explore.

Daisy's has an excellent sun rise if you get up earlier. My dad used to bring us hard candy when we were young too, I remember always loving that.

Good luck and have fun! If you're going in the summer don't forget the deet!

Dylan
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

We just returned from a nine day Minong trip my 5 year old daughter took everything that the hugginin cove loop and Minong ridge trail could throw at her with her full pack! My advice is lots of small snacks....throw your rule book in the trash can! Stop a meltdown before it happens. Don' t forget to take more frequent breaks .....they are taking 2 steps to your 1. All that being said, kids are incredibly resillant.......and nobody knows YOUR kids better that you do. Give them the proper love and attention and you will have an AWESOME and REWARDING experience.This worked for me.....hope it helps!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2