Feedback on 3MTA3's Itinerary

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Feedback on 3MTA3's Itinerary

Post by Lucky Chicken »

3MTA3 wrote:Ryan (MI) 31. My 3rd trip. Canoed in July 2000 & hiked from Rock Harbor to Windigo & back in July/August 2002.
Justyn (GA) 22 & Nate (AZ) 15. Their first ever backpacking trip!

Departing from Copper Harbor.
July 22: On Island to Daisy Farm 7.1 mi
July 23: Daisy Farm to McCargoe Cove 8 mi
July 24: McCargoe Cove to Todd Harbor 6.6 mi
July 25: Todd Harbor to Lake Richie 12.9
July 26: Lake Richie to Chippewa Harbor 4.3 mi
July 27: Chippewa Harbor to Moskey Basin 6.2 mi
July 28: Moskey Basin to Lane Cove 11.1 mi
July 29: Lane Cove to Rock Harbor 6.9 mi
July 30: Take ferry back to mainland. I would like to rent a canoe and visit Lookout Louise in the morning before we go back.

Total mileage: 63.1

Looking for some feedback on this itinerary.
To comment I needed to copy your itinerary from the trip log.

I think you have some pretty long days for "first ever" backpacking trip. You have some time could you go out on a local trip to gage ability and distance? If not I would keep the itinerary very flexable and adjust on the fly as needed. I would also make sure you go through gear with them and help them leave the stuff they dont need, backpacking is more about what you dont bring than what you do.
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Feedback on 3MTA3's Itinerary

Post by 3MTA3 »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm an experienced backpacker and I've taken first timers on trips before. It seems like I'm the one to break in beginners! Short of clothing, I'm outfitting both of the newbies and they have a good sense as to what they're up for. The 15 year old goes on mountainous day hikes with his family in AZ and the 22 year old has an athletic background.

I was really hoping to hear some reviews/ insight on Chippewa Harbor and Lane Cove. I've never been to those two sites and put them in our itinerary to have a few new places to visit. Also, their out-and-back access means they could potentially be removed from our schedule in order to be flexible as you suggested. From what I've read and seen of these two places, I'm really excited to visit them.

Because I haven't been to the island in a dozen years (wow it doesn't seem like that long ago), I'm curious if anything at the places I've mentioned has changed in any way or if there are new things that I should keep an eye out for.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I agree with Lucky Chicken on the high mile days fer new backpackers.Congrats on bringing new faces!Is Hatchet lk an option to slightly level the days? Who wouldn' t want to stay on the big lk though. The trail from the Greenstone to Chippewa we found to be pretty easy trail .....kinda ho- hum as far as scenery goes too.....just an opinion.The trail from Chippewa to Moskey is a quick painless run also.....but we found Moskey to be drop dead gorgeous! Moskey is a great place to take a layover! Great place to take a swim! Chippewa not so much....but still very beautiful! Lucky Chicken is right , do a training run if at all possible!
Keep it light! I was 42 pounds on a 9 day run when we hit the island ....... for me wayyyyy too heavy for enjoyment.This year I will be 34 lbs with my gear and food for 2 for the same amount of time.Still way to heavy in my opinion, but I like to eat!!!!!

Just another guy's opinion! Have fun and good luck!:grin:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

My description of those two campgrounds:
Chippewa Harbor Campground
The Campground is situated on a very calm and protected harbor quite a ways from Lake Superior. The harbor has very nice views ranging from cliff and rock, to lowland areas. The campground has a dock and is frequented by boaters and fishermen quite a bit. However, generators are not allowed, so it is quiet. The Voyageur will stop here on its southern route if reservations are made.
The Shelters are all up on a hill, overlooking the dock, 150' up from the dock. Shelters #1 & 2 are right next to each other on one side, and Shelters #3 & 4 are next to each other on the other side. The views of the harbor from the shelters are very nice. If they weren't so close to each other and open, they would be nice to stay in. If you had the campground to yourself, they might be the place to stay, but boaters could show up at any time. There are standing grills in front of the shelters.
The Tent Sites sit back far from the harbor, dock and everything else and do not offer very good views. It is a long walk to water from these sites.
Tent #5 is a very pretty site, but doesn’t offer a view of the harbor.
Tent #6 has the best view of the two, but is a long ways from the harbor.
The Group Site is south of the shelters, and quite a distance from the dock. It is 300' from the campground sign and 250' from Shelter #1. It offers a very nice view of the harbor, if you walk a short distance. It is semi-well protected from the winds, and offers relatively good water access. There are 3 to 4 tent pads and a fire ring. This is one of my favorite sites to stay.
Lane Cove Campground
The Campground was relocated from an area further east a few years ago. This is noticeable, as the campground seems newer and less used. It is very private and not used as much as most, because it is a "dead end" at the end of Lane Cove Trail. The area is quite wooded and along Lake Superior. The trail descends a total of, around 550', from the Greenstone Ridge Trail to the campground.
The Tent Sites here are on the lake, are very nice with a good view, and have very good water access. Campsite #5 is the furthest away and 255' from the camp sign.
Tent #1 is private and can fit 2 tents tightly and has good seating. It has good water access, but not the best view.
Tent #2 is private, has good water access and a nice view. When I was there in fall, 2007, there was a pile of dirt there. I imagine that it was going to be used for new tent pads. In 2011, it was spread out and nice.
Tent #3 is private and has 2-3 tent sites. It has great seating, a great view and easy water access. It is however; open to the elements and the lake.
Tent #4 is protected and private, with good seating. It has 2 maybe 3 tent sites with a good view and great access to the lake.
Tent #5 is kind of spread out and far away. It would be best for a group. There are 2-3 great tent sites and you should be able to find another 1-2 more. It has great seating, view and water access. [Fall, 2011]
Attachments
camp_lanecove.jpg
Camp_ChippewaSign.JPG
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

This is a very aggressive hike. My group usually averages around 40-45 miles on a five-day hike, and we've been doing this for a while. That does a damn good job kicking our asses. Even if you guys are in good shape, the distance is great enough to allow for a lot of things to happen:

For one, without a resupply somewhere along the line, you are hauling a lot of food & water for great distances. Another thing is (depending on the shape you are in) you are aren't allowing for some muscle strains and pains. Yet another issue is that in the dead heat of July, you're really going to be pushing your body. You'll be sweaty, plagued by mosquitoes and black flies, and tire quickly. Lastly, your schedule doesn't have a spare day for padding or resting if need be. It's a personal preference to do that, but there's been times where we've needed an extra day to just rest.

Regardless, here's some of my input on your treks:
July 22: On Island to Daisy Farm 7.1 mi
A pretty easy hike, and good leg-stretcher to going. You can stop at 3 Mile for a snack on the dock and take a breather, knowing that you're half way to Daisy. The hike is right along the shore line and is pretty flat, save for some rocky sections.
July 23: Daisy Farm to McCargoe Cove 8 mi
I've only done this hike once, and don't recall it being too hard. The ascent out of Daisy is a little tiring, but once you get up the ridge, it's all downhill into McCargoe.
July 24: McCargoe Cove to Todd Harbor 6.6 mi
This is an aggressive hike. It's uphill for the first few miles, then gets into the Feldtmann ridge where there's a lot of ups-and-downs over craggy rock faces, including some non-technical rock climbing.
July 25: Todd Harbor to Lake Richie 12.9
This is very aggressive, especially if you are back-tracking through McCargoe to get to Richie. The trek from McCargoe to Richie is easy, save for one up-and-down outside of Chickenbone that's pretty vertical.
July 26: Lake Richie to Chippewa Harbor 4.3 mi
Hey! Probably the easiest hike you'll have on your trip.
July 27: Chippewa Harbor to Moskey Basin 6.2 mi
Another easy trek. It's a pain to hike out of Chippewa up the ridge, but once you're up there, it's easy. It's a really nice hike to Moskey, very pretty.
July 28: Moskey Basin to Lane Cove 11.1 mi
WOW, you are motivated. This is a hard hike. You'll not only end up hiking up the ridge outside of Daisy, you'll have to hike BACK DOWN into Lane Cove. We backcountried just around Angleworm Lake, and the hike just from there to Lane Cove almost killed all of us (that's without any hiking up a ridge). This hike I'd be very hesitant on.
July 29: Lane Cove to Rock Harbor 6.9 mi
This is an easy hike...once you get out of Lane Cove. The hike up the ridge out is a killer. Literally switch-backs 20-30 times along the way to get up the hills. You'll see what I mean when you are hiking *down* the ridge to Lane Cove, wishing for the sweet kiss of death.

I'm sure that since you are coming a great distance, you want to maximize your time on Isle Royale. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be doing my job to warn you that you are biting off a big chunk. But guaranteed, you are seeing some of the best sites on the island.
I was really hoping to hear some reviews/ insight on Chippewa Harbor and Lane Cove. I've never been to those two sites and put them in our itinerary to have a few new places to visit. Also, their out-and-back access means they could potentially be removed from our schedule in order to be flexible as you suggested. From what I've read and seen of these two places, I'm really excited to visit them.
You're in luck! Chippewa Harbor is gorgeous...one of my favorite places on the island. It will probably be busy there in July, because there is a boat dock there that's well-utilized by fishermen. But the views from the dock are gorgeous--a giant cliff sits directly across the harbor from you, where I always see eagles and hawks flying. There's usually quite a few loons that play in the Harbor here, too. One of the best hikes is directly behind Chippewa campground...follow the trail behind the biffs, then up a steep rocky hill to the very very top (when you think you are to the top, keep exploring and keep going up!). Up here, you can sit on a gorgeous cliff (un-viewable from the campground) that towers over the forest below and watch the gorgeous sunset over the island. Here's a few pictures (towards the bottom of the album): https://plus.google.com/photos/+Richard ... 2403370337

Lane Cove is also beautiful. Although a larger campground, it's very secluded. If I remember, there's no boat dock there, so there won't be any fishers around. The sunsets are equally gorgeous here. The campgrounds are right along the lake, although very close to each other. I've only been to Lane Cove once, but it was great to sit on the rocky beach and drink some scotch & read a book. Here's a picture: https://plus.google.com/photos/+Richard ... 0521772612

If you decide to trim down your trip, be sure to post back here, I'm sure myself & others will have some input for you. No matter what, you will have an amazing trip! Enjoy it!
3MTA3
NewbieCake

Post by 3MTA3 »

Wow! Thanks for the feedback! You guys are great!

Maybe instead of going McCargoe>Todd>Richie, we'll spend an extra day at McCargoe exploring the copper mines or make our way down to Richie from McCargoe and save that extra day for our trek to Lane Cove. I really wanted to go back to Todd (and Little Todd) because of the views looking north to Thunder Bay. I remember how amazing those were.

Great pictures, fonixmunkee! That waterfall looks amazing. I can't wait for July.
Redbad
Trailblazer

Post by Redbad »

One nice feature of the tent sites in Chippewa Harbor is the apple orchard (orchard might be an exaggeration) that is back there.

Keep in mind with Moskey Basin that EVERYBODY likes Moskey Basin and as such it is a very popular campground and the sites/shelters fill up fast.

You might think about Todd Harbor to W. Chickenbone via the Hatchet Lake crossover and the Greenstone and then W. Chickenbone to Chippewa Harbor (so you don't have to back track on the Minong).

As for your itinerary, it is difficult but doable.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Ok, I think I missed something.Where is the waterfall located? Chippewa Harbor?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I believe that is international falls in grand portage state park... I hope there is a prize in this contest lol
3MTA3
NewbieCake

Post by 3MTA3 »

Redbad wrote:One nice feature of the tent sites in Chippewa Harbor is the apple orchard (orchard might be an exaggeration) that is back there.

I'll check it out.
Redbad wrote:Keep in mind with Moskey Basin that EVERYBODY likes Moskey Basin and as such it is a very popular campground and the sites/shelters fill up fast.
I definitely remember this. That's why I planned going there after Chippewa Harbor. Short day to get a shelter quickly.
Redbad wrote:You might think about Todd Harbor to W. Chickenbone via the Hatchet Lake crossover and the Greenstone and then W. Chickenbone to Chippewa Harbor (so you don't have to back track on the Minong).
This was the route I was planning on taking. I want to avoid staying at a Chickenbone campsite. I'm not a big fan. Maybe we will to break up the mileage from Todd to Chippewa.
Redbad wrote:As for your itinerary, it is difficult but doable.
That's what I am going for, with being able to be flexible depending on how we feel and how our blisters are holding up. My friend and I went from Little Todd to Windigo in 2002, with a dinner stop at N. Desor and a siesta at a beaver dam. When we got to Washington Creek campground, we were exhausted but it was worth it to spend the next day at the ranger station. In other words, I love a challenge.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Lucky Chicken wrote:I believe that is international falls in grand portage state park... I hope there is a prize in this contest lol
1/2 point awarded for the park: Grand Portage State Park. (Which does not require a park sticker, since it is also a MN highway rest stop.... And a short hike in, to boot.)

The waterfall photo in Fonix's album is of Pigeon Falls, on the Pigeon River, which indeed is the international border. It's the highest waterfall in MN. International Falls is a city located about 200 miles west, and indeed has a waterfall, called Koochiching Falls.

All this being said, Isle Royale does have it's share of cascading water, just nothing this high.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

I'd have no fear doing this itinerary...especially knowing you can adjust on the fly as needed. But that's just me and maybe I'm a little demented... a lot of experienced folks on here caution against aggressive miles and I can appreciate that; it certainly is a beautiful island to go slow on, but at my level of backpacking and overall physical shape, I find myself getting to the next camp too early with too much time milling about; I get antsy, I guess. For my money, I want some aggressive days mixed with some easy ones.

Can't help you with Chip or Lane, because I haven't been to either yet. Hoping to make it to Lane this year if I can afford the extra cost of a water taxi to lookout lousie.

Very cool photos Fonixmunkee!