Itinerary for June 13-19, 2014

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

refuge
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Itinerary for June 13-19, 2014

Post by refuge »

I am hoping the water taxi will be available- I just realized there is nobody at the Rock Harbor lodge to answer my email inquiry since the lake may still be iced over!

Day 1- Arrive IRNP via Queen, water taxi to Chippewa Harbor, Lake Ritchie (4.3)
Day 2- Hatchet Lake (11.1)
Day 3- Todd Harbor (3.9)
Day 4- West Chickenbone (9.3)
Day 5- Moskey Basin (5.9)
Day 6- Three Mile or Lane Cove (8.3 or 11.something)
Day 7- Hike out and board Queen at 2:45pm

Is Lane Cove worth the trouble? I've heard it can be buggy. This is my third time to the island but haven't been since 1999. Have never overnighted at Ritchie, Hatchet, W. Chickenbone, or Lane Cove. My husband is eager to see as many "new" places as possible. I think it's been so long I'll enjoy the whole thing regardless!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Itinerary for June 13-19, 2014

Post by Lucky Chicken »

The lodge responds to email year around. From what I understand their office is in Mamoth Cave NP in the off season. They have a winter number you can call them at.

The ice is out and the park service has been making trips to open up the island for the last week or so.
refuge
NewbieCake

Post by refuge »

That's bad news... I emailed them about 2-3 weeks ago to ask about a water taxi, and haven't heard back. I called the Mammoth Cave number last night and left a phone message. Hope to hear back soon.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

No email response for that long is surprising. But they are presumably busy moving and opening things up--maybe sitting in Houghton waiting to get out. Hopefully you'll hear back soon. If not, keep trying :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Isle-Royale-Fan
NewbieCake

Post by Isle-Royale-Fan »

I stayed at Lane Cove once. It was very "busy" with people in the middle of August, although there is enough space to find solitude. I think it is definitely worth a look. It has a gorgeous view of sunsets over the lake and a pretty marshy area behind the beach. If I remember correctly there is a fairly steep hike down to it. I'd say "Go for it"! I have been to every campsite on the Island and some backcountry. You can go to the same place more than once and it will still be different each time. Have fun! :D
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

As of today 5/27 the water taxi was not yet in the water. I think the boats used for taxi service need to be shipped up on the Ranger III, which has no deck crane right now to load and unload them. If this is in fact the case, it's going to be a while before the taxi runs.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

drobarge wrote:As of today 5/27 the water taxi was not yet in the water. I think the boats used for taxi service need to be shipped up on the Ranger III, which has no deck crane right now to load and unload them. If this is in fact the case, it's going to be a while before the taxi runs.
Hmmm, hadn't thought of the crane issue. Those boats are certainly capable of making the crossing with decent weather, but there's still ice floes on Superior that could be a problem for a boat that size. In any case, the logistics must be more complicated than usual this year.

Refuge, have you heard anything?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
refuge
NewbieCake

Post by refuge »

I have not heard anything yet, and am now worried that I might need to look at changing our itinerary. Do people think the taxi will be in the water by 6/13? At the very least I'd think that I would have heard back by now. I'm wondering if they are waiting to respond because they're not sure if they will be up and operating by then.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

refuge wrote:I have not heard anything yet, and am now worried that I might need to look at changing our itinerary. Do people think the taxi will be in the water by 6/13? At the very least I'd think that I would have heard back by now. I'm wondering if they are waiting to respond because they're not sure if they will be up and operating by then.
I think about all anyone can say is they'll be there as soon as they can be--but I would bet a little money anyway that you'll be OK by then. Two good things to remember: (1) worst case is you have to change your itinerary when you get there, and (2) whereever you end up, any place on the island is better than anyplace else :)!
refuge
NewbieCake

Post by refuge »

True!! :-)
TyroneousMonk
NewbieCake

Post by TyroneousMonk »

I had a similar problem with trying to contact the people in Kentucky via email, you have to call until you get someone? So instead of getting a taxi on the 16th of June I had to get it on the 17th which shaved a day off the island plan. We are grounded at R. Harbor on the 16th for an AM taxi. in the AM but the way I see it we can save on fuel and take in the high life, water and bathrooms!
refuge
NewbieCake

Post by refuge »

Just an update for others worried about the taxi: I called the ranger station earlier this week and they told me the Rock Harbor Lodge folks were still in the process of opening up for the season and probably didn't have their phones hooked up yet. She encouraged me to keep trying. Today I called the number and got through!

So, I was able to make the water taxi reservation for Friday, June 13th. The person I spoke with told me that the island is about 3 weeks behind on leaf out and other spring plant activity due to the cold winter.