August 10 to 15, 2014 - Lake Richie

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

LarryEngel
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

August 10 to 15, 2014 - Lake Richie

Post by LarryEngel »

My 2 gransons, age 16 (2nd trip) and 12 (1st trip), my son in law and I will be going to Chippewa Harbor by water taxi, then to Lake Richie for 2 nights, then Moskee Basin for a night, then water taxi back to Rock Harbor for a night.

I am wondering what the camground and camping at Lake Richie is like?
I can find a fair amount of information about most campgrounds, but not Lake Richie.
I have read the trip logs but the few thing I find are just problems with bugs and water at Lake Richie.
Is it just a bad place to camp at or just not one of the best places to go so no one talks it up?

I like being in a wilderness and away from the crowds and my hope is to give my grandsons a view of what wilderness camping can be like.
On our one full day at Lake Ricie we plan on a day hike to Chickenbone Lake and back.
Some of that is just to check out canoe portages from Lake Ricke to Chickenbone Lake.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: August 10 to 15, 2014 - Lake Richie

Post by Tightlines01 »

I kind of like Lake Richie personally. Lake Richie is a tent only campground as there are no shelters there. There are 4 regular camp sites and 2 or 3 group camp sites. As your party is smaller than 7 people you'll. red to use one of the 4 main campsites not the group sites.

It can have people coming down the trail last the sites some as the campground is right off the main trail from the greenstone ridge down to Moskey and Chippewa Harbor. Many people will use that part of the tra as the loop back to Rock Harbor. With that said, I wouldn't let that stop you from camping there. The sites are set slightly up a granite slope and you might see people coming down the trail, but it's certainly not like they are coming through your camp.

Lake Ritchie is a beautiful camp site with amazing reflection views off of the lake. The lake has pretty good Pike fishing also and is popular for that. As your milages are pretty small each day your hiking, consider packing a bit heavy and pack fishing gear and a couple of shore lunches of pike.

The bugs can be heavy that time of year depending on the weather. Bring some bug dope and if you don't need it great. I'd start somewhat early leaving Chippewa to hike over to Richie so you can pick your spot.
LarryEngel
NewbieCake

Post by LarryEngel »

Thanks for your reply.
The tent camping only is about all I knew for Lake Ritchie. And I like the fact that it is.
Thanks for the fishing comment. We have been wondering what shore fishing had to offer. A pike or two would be great.
I have read about the bugs, and I hoped they dropped off a bit in August. But we will bring something along.
The pictures I have found, taken from the campground look amazing. My kind of place to hang out.

Hikers coming down the trail is not a problem. Last time we stayed at Daisy Farm and had some boaters in some shelters that got a it loud. The ranger helped, but he could only do so much. It was actually quieter at Rock Harbor our last night than it was at Daisy Farm.
But I expect hikers coming through from Moskee like a high speed train just slowing down enough to grab a 10 second view.

Our hiking miles are low because of my age. I did mention a 16 year old grandson. My son in law is my heavy lifter so I get the 2nd heaviest pack.
I am why we are water taxing in and out. But it is only a 4 mile pack in and 2 mile out and the rest is just a slow enjoyable day hike.

But again, thanks for your reply and what you told me makes me think it will be all I had hope for.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

My dad an I both thought it was a gorgeous place....it made me wish that I had fishing gear along.I thought the campsites were set back a little, just enough to give a little personal space from the trail.If there is one lake I could get in and kayak, so far it would be lake Ritchie.We found it to be a beautiful spot......worthy of a cup of soup and a sandwhich! I hope to get back and give this portion of the island its due .....someday.For now there are new places to explore....but it sounds like a good trip! Good luck.
smokey brown
NewbieCake

Post by smokey brown »

It is a nice site and bugs usually are gone by mid August (except last August and then only noticeable after dusk). Just head on the trail a little west of the campsites and there is a large rock outcrop above the lake. This is a great picture site and we never fail to catch some big northerns from there. Stand at the edge and cast out as far as you can at a little to the left (when directly facing the lake).
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

My information on the campground and the layout is below. I like Lake Richie and find it to be very relaxing and usually quiet. The rock surface on the east side of where the group sites are is a great place to sit in the sun and relax.

The Campground sits on the north shore of the lake. The lake is serene and peaceful. It is a good place to hear loons and moose, due to the quiet. It is a good sunrise viewing place in the fall, and sunset viewing in the spring. Around July and August, it is excellent for either. Water is available close to any of the campsites. From the east to west campground posts, it is 0.14 miles.

The Tent Sites are on the western end of the campground.
Tent #1 sits back the furthest from the lake, around 200'. It has 3 tent pads and good sitting in 2010.
Tent #2 is about 40' from the lake, and has 2 maybe 3 tent pads. It has a nice view of the lake.
Tent #3 is about 60' from the lake, and has 3 tent pads. It has very little rain and wind protection.
Tent #4 has 1 to 2 tent pads, but sits away from the lake about 60', and has poor lake access. It does not have a good view of the lake, except in spring, and no rocks for sitting, but had some logs for sitting, in 2010. However, it does offer privacy.

The Group Sites are on the eastern end of the campground.
Group #1 has 4-5 tent pads and all of them are good. The seating is pretty good relative to this campground. The view of the lake is very nice.
Group #2 has 5-6 tent pads and is a nice spot. It is a bit away from the lake though.
Camp_Lake_Richie_Fall_2010_386.JPG
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
LarryEngel
NewbieCake

Post by LarryEngel »

Mike
Thanks for your reply.
The opportunity to able to hear Loons and Moose is a big plus for this group.
Your description of the sites and what Lake Richie can be like make me glad we plan on 2 nights there.
Thank you for the detailed information.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Larry, If you havent noticed the link on the bottom of Mike T's posts check it out. That is where his descriptions are from... its a great read and an even better resource for planning any trip to the island!

End plug for Mike's book ;)

Enjoy your trip!
LarryEngel
NewbieCake

Post by LarryEngel »

Thanks, I will check it out more.
I have seen some of Mikes work from his book.
As soon as he posted to me, I knew who he was because.
My Isle Royale days are almost over. Two more trips.
But I might buy his book for my son in law and grandsons.