June 16-20, 2014

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

gwpruitt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

June 16-20, 2014

Post by gwpruitt »

Well last year was my first trip to IR...and as you all know it pulls one back again and again.
So heading back in a couple of weeks. Cant wait!

Last year my family and I (wife, son, daughter) did a bit over 30 miles. While we saw a lot of the island - in hindsight we wished we had cut down on the miles and really took the time to enjoy our surroundings a bit more...so this trip is the same number of days but fewer miles...and without my daughter

We were there the first week of July last year - and highs were in the 80s...made for hot hiking esp on Greenstone!

Here is this years itinerary:

June 16 - CH to RH, Hike to Lane Cove (missed this one last time and really want to see it)
June 17 - Lane to Daisy
June 18 - Daisy to 3 Mile (we loved 3 mile last year) - PM hike to Mt. Franklin
June 19 - 3Mile to RH (via RH Trail, did Tobin last year), one night at lodge to keep the wife happy!
June 20 - Hike to Scoville Point, Queen back to CH

So while I am looking forward to easier days...I also have a draw to see more.
1. Is it worth staying 2 nights at Lane and doing the hike out to Lookout Louise? Yes, I know Lane has no shelters.
2. One of our main draws is to see Moose...we were skunked last year! Ideas?

If anyone has other thoughts or suggestions please chime in!

Best,
gwpruitt
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: June 16-20, 2014

Post by Ingo »

It's been years since I've been up to Lookout Louise (well decades), but I don't think the view is appreciably different than Mt Franklin. Although there's no good reason not to go :).

I haven't had much luck seeing moose the last couple of trips myself. But the population is up.

Bring headnets :( and hope you don't need them :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I spent two nights at Lane Cove years ago. I decided to hike out to Lookout Louise and back in one day. Its over 14 miles round trip, a long day on the trail. I left just before sunrise to get back to Lane as early as possible (it felt like 80+ on the trip back). The view from Lookout Louise is slightly different then from Mt. Franklin. When I was at Lookout Louise some eagles were flying overhead. I thought I was in wilderness country until a jet flew overhead on it's way to Thunder Bay. I did see several boats down in the 5 finger area (north of the ridge). While you are there you could take the trail down to Tobin Harbor. This however would add another 2 miles to your trip. The sunsets at Lane Cove are really nice. Enjoy. jerry
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

You said you wanted to cut the miles down some but the first two days are your hardest by far (not undoable it just beware). I tend to do my best hiking after a few "warm up" days, then my body and legs get going stronger.

You mentioned a day hike to MT Franklin from 3 mile. I love mt franklin, but keep in mind your passing it going to Daisy from Lane anyway if your taking the greenstone. If your going to Daisy from Lane via 3 mile your still only .3 miles from Mt Franklin before your descent.

Perhaps another option is spend the first day in Rock and do your day hiking to scoville, take a water taxi across to lookout Louise and down to Lane. Then past MT franklin to Mt Ojibwe and Daisy cans back to 3 mile and out. Just an alternative thought I had.

Enjoy your trip (FYI I had a bull moose walk down the trail last year when we were resting 1/2 way up to MT franklin from Tobin Harbor trail. Don't be afraid of a nice quite break part way up.