Itinerary August 1-6

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Re: Itinerary August 1-6

Post by tree rattt »

MidwestEd Ed that sounds like the pack that I carried out to open the cabin up for hunting season. :) Rifle in one hand dutch oven in the other.....glad it wasnt very far!

How long ago was that? It sounds like lightweight gear from the Mid 70's ;)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Here are some details of my first trips to the Island, starting in 1975

http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1166

Apologies to Matt for hijacking his thread.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Maybe a little hijack......there are a lot of good nuggets in that report though.....very cool :)
MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by MattC »

Final Itinerary:
Hasn't changed much. We've been preparing nearly every minute we haven't been working including multiple shakedown trips to Camp Ely in Allegan, Michigan. A great primitive campground with lots of trails. Nothing compared to IR trails from what I hear but none the less, we've had shoes with pack on the ground. Even going for one last time tomorrow before we leave Chicago and head to up Houghton Thursday morning.
We've been pleasantly surprised on how light our packs have been. I guess being anal about the weight of the gear has really paid off. Mine feels slightly below 30lbs. I'll guesstimate 28-30 while my wifes felt around 18-20. Not too bad I'd say after reading a trip report from last year and the guy said he had a 65lb pack!! :? Yikes! Sounds miserable.
I'm going to attach the word document I drew up so we could send to our families so they have an idea of where we are at during the course of the trip.
The time is near! Honestly, never felt so excited for a trip. Already planning next years - going to do the Moosewatch Program.
Attachments
IRitinerary.docx
(11.39 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Gotta love those shake down trips! Those pack weights sound real friendly! :)
Bet ya can cut the anticipation with a knife! Hope you both have a real great time and that the bugs aren't too bad.We just returned from 3 days in Sylvania near Watersmeet Mich ......the Mosquitos were unbelievably horrible!....I hope ya don't seen any :)
MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by MattC »

Thanks Rat,
We're getting very excited. I'm dreading work these next fews days. All I want to do is head north right now!