Itinerary August 1-6

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Itinerary August 1-6

Post by MattC »

Here's the itinerary for the 1st trip to IR my wife and I are taking.
August 1st-6th

CH to RH via Queen

RH to Lane Cove for first night.
Lane Cover to Daisy Farm
Daisy farm to Lake Richie
Lake Richie to Moskey Basin
Moskey Basin to Three Mile
Three Mile to RH for departure back to mainland.

Wanted to keep our mileage down for the wife. She's new to this. Only big stretch will be Moskey to Three Mile. Not to too bad at 8.3 miles. Rest are 6 and some change.
Does this seem too ambitious for a first trip?
gwpruitt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Itinerary August 1-6

Post by gwpruitt »

Matt - We (family of 4) did a somewhat similar trip last July (early) as our first trip to the island. In hindsight I wish we had done less miles and spent more time enjoying the island. I think you will find the hiking on IR to be harder than a lot of other places. Trails are usually rocks and roots - and thus hard to get a good hiking pace going.

So if you wife is new to this I would consider cutting back on the mileage. Good news is that the campgrounds are located in a way to give you a variety of options.

I am sure others will propose some alternative routes.

Have a great trip. :D
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

Good thing this is a preliminary itinerary :lol:
Will definitely take rock and ruts into consideration with the mileage. Initial thought is "we got this" as we can and do walk very long distances through the city. But that's the city! :P
I think you have a great point though to pace ourselves. It's not like it will be our last trip either!
I guess planning a first go at the Isle, I felt the need to cram so much in the time frame we have. Think i'll scale back some.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

best town training I've found... is put on your backpack and go to the local high school stadium. go up and down the stairs for a few hours... if its easy you are good to go.
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

Thats very close to what we'll be doing. Walking the trail on Lake Michigan's waterfront with loaded bags. Up and down of the break-water stairs. Through sand as well. We will really be feeling the hammy's burnin' then!
Doing that trip 4 miles south back to our apt. 8 mile round trip.
I actually made a training list for us to complete before departure. Gonna make my wife learn how to assemble and tear down a tent!!!....which she has to complete 5 times. She gave me that crazy eye look when I broke that news to her. HAHA! :lol:
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

The trail from Rock Harbor to Moskey Basin pretty much follows an ancient shoreline. There is very little overall change in elevation but it is a lot of up and down and up and down over rocks and roots. It is appreciably more difficult walking than say the Greenstone Ridge trail (especially when wet). The section between Daisy Farm and Moskey Basin is probably the hardest. So you know, there is a second trail in and out of Rock Harbor campground to Three Mile called the Tobin Harbor trail instead of the Rock Harbor trail. The Tobin Harbor trail is quite a bit easier on the legs and footing.

After a day or two on the trail and you (i.e. your wife) end up rethinking your goals, there are plenty of choices and you can alter your intinerary. I am partial to the panoramic views from the Greenstone Ridge so I hope any secondary itinerary still includes that section.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

We'll be taking the Tobin up to Lane Cove. My first trip itinerary was to go down the greenstone. But a lack of water made me hesitant. I'll save that for another trip when I become more familiar with the isle.
I want to make it easy pee-zee for now and not break the wife.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

If you want to make the island an enjoyable trip.......keep the weight low. It is only a few days don't bring the kitchen sink.I believe in a minimalist style, I know it isnt for everybody ;) . Just a thought :)
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

One or two (not all) creature comforts will go a long way for wives in general. You could be a real hero and sneak them into your pack and break them out when on the isle. I agree and have been trying to cut my weight where I can, but always pack some form of comfort food. A ziplock bag of your favorite M&MS is one of my regular comforts. They have a high flash/melt point and generally stay fine inside a pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

Yes, I am diligently working to make sure our packs are as light as can be. Every ounce is being accounted for. My hope is to keep hers in the 20-25lb range and mine no more than 32lbs. M&M's are a great idea and what our friends refer us to! (Matt&Marissa)
Rest of our gear arrives tomorrow so we will start packing the pack and get more accurate weights.
Planning this trip has truly been a fun experience.
Can't wait to get on the isle.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hats off to all of you that can get your wives to go along!When I mention backpacking all I get is THE look! ;) Matt C sounds like you have a great handle on things weight wise.I think your right planning is so much fun! We sat in Daisey Farm and planned out our next trip....a yak tour from McCargo to Malone bay. :( it' s an addiction :)
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

It is an addiction... I have our next 10 trips planned... and I get the look too!

32lbs... wow... I wouldnt know what to do with the extra energy. My pack is 10lbs less than last year but still a starting weight with food and water of 45. I think that is pretty good concidering I added fishing gear and the DSLR to it. No food and water and I am where you are... envious!! eventually I may get there...
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Lucky Chicken, all you have to do is leave out the cast iron cookware,china plates & coffee cup.....and if you really want to drop weight get rid off the 2 burner coleman stove....... ;) ......sorry I couldn' t resist :)
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

ha... and the 4lbs of DSLR and 2lbs of fishing gear wouldnt hurt either ;)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

You guys are joking around but my first trip to IR was also my first backpacking experience. Have you seen those flashlights that use the 6 volt lantern battery? My 2 pound flashlight was ultra lightweight compared to the 12 inch cast iron fry pan I brought. Those things and about 80 more pounds went with me on the first day from Daisy Farm to Moskey Basin. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013