Trip ideas...

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

riverine17
NewbieCake

Trip ideas...

Post by riverine17 »

Newcomer to Isle Royale, will be backpacking with a group of 4 experienced guys in mid-July. Looking to make a 5 day trip taking the ferry into Rock Harbor in the AM.

Having never been to Isle Royale, we're looking for some trip ideas from some of the more experienced folk (you). We're all in shape and can handle a good trek but not looking to kill ourselves either. We're just looking for a great hike with some beautiful scenery along the way. We would love to camp at some picturesque campsites if you know of any.

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Trip ideas...

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Welcome to the forum...

Might need some more information: how long of a day is "not looking to kill ourselves"? Anything you want to see (fishing, high points, isolated places, fishing history, mine history, ect...)?

There are lots of options on that end of the Island and campsites are fairly close toghether. If you are looking to get out a little farther or go longer days you could cross the whole island in that time and catch the ferry back to Rock at the end.
riverine17
NewbieCake

Post by riverine17 »

I'd say nothing over 10 miles would be preferable. High points and just beautiful scenery in general... not that there's a shortage of that! But if any specific "can't miss" spots along the way, we'd like to check it out.
BadgerFan
NewbieCake

Post by BadgerFan »

10 miles on most trails translates to fewer in the island.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ryanpett
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ryanpett »

This is a quick reference for a first-timer... might help:

http://www.isleroyale.com/sg_userfiles/ ... s-2011.pdf
ryanpett
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ryanpett »

I'm heading back in a week for my second trip... a full thru-hike - Windigo to Rock Harbor... but our first trip included Lane Cove, which was awesome - great sunset - we could see the moon rising and the sun setting together (that was in mid-August). It's a steep hike coming back from Lane Cove though - so factor that into your mileage on the way out. Moskey Basin seemed to have a lot of wildlife activity - including wolves - when we were there last time. Obviously that's unpredictable and the wolf population is about 25% of what it was during our last trip - but the moose population is way up, but we'll be staying there on our second to last night. No matter what you plan, you won't be disappointed (unless you hate trees or something). Good luck with the plans and enjoy! I'll be posting a trip review in early July when we return, so keep an eye out for that!
riverine17
NewbieCake

Post by riverine17 »

"This is a quick reference for a first-timer... might help:

http://www.isleroyale.com/sg_userfiles/ ... s-2011.pdf"

This was very helpful, thank you
louisville502
NewbieCake

Post by louisville502 »

Planning a trip for late July and got our ferry reservations. Any comments on the route?
rock-lane,lane-daisy,daisy-mccargoe,mccargoe-moskey, moskey-rock.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Welcome, Loisville502, probably could use a little more info about you, your group and skill level....and you will get good info :)