Strangest thing you've seen on a IR trail or at a campsite?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Strangest thing you've seen on a IR trail or at a campsite?

Post by Midwest Ed »

OK, After the XMAS lights story, I have to ask. What's the strangest thing you've seen on an IR trail or at a n IRcampsite?

#1 for me was the couple I met at McCargoe Cove Campground. They were having dinner on a full size foot locker, sitting on wooden chairs. They had a red and white checkered table cloth, a full bottle of wine and long stemmed crystal wine goblets.

OK, not so weird you might say for a Lake Superior campground? Except they had just portaged it all from Chippewa Harbor.

Edited to clarify I meant on Isle Royale.
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Strangest thing you've seen on a trail or at a campsite?

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Christmas lights probably takes the top so far... a close second is the large radio the guys in the next shelter had backpacked in.
honouredamongfoxes
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by honouredamongfoxes »

I've got two:

May 16, 2003: Buddies asleep in tent at McCargoe, I took off on a moose encounter-filled walk westward on the Minong. The full moon guided me under perfect skies. As I headed toward Todd Harbor, the predicted full lunar eclipse began. It was beautiful; it was eerie. I was in sight of Todd Harbor, up on the bluffs above those small lakes, when full dark overcame. I was grunted into momentary terror by an unseen bull in the birches, the remnant lunar disk blood-orange colored. Back at my 1-man, I sure slept good as the moon made its reappearance.

Sept 13, 2007: Buddy asleep [I must be part owl?] in shelter, I walked up to the rocky flats above Daisy Farm on the Mt Oj. trail for a good view of the sky, as there was a modest chance of aurora. Appearing rapidly in the west were a pair of very bright satellites, one appearing to be chasing the other, moving toward, then over me, then disappearing at the eastern orbital sundown. It was Japan's just-launched Kaguya moon-probe, in its 1st orbit, having just separated from its launch shell before later powering on to the moon. Very bright, and quite a surprise. Only learned what it was after getting off island the next week and googling.

Fred Dale
Brewerbob
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Brewerbob »

Unicyclist. Anyone can mountain bike but it isn't every day you see someone out on a unicycle. Much else riding along a trail on a unicycle.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Not on the island, but 2 guys in their early 20's walking along a trail, each on one end of a 60 qt cooler. We were about 5 miles from the trail head and they were on there way to the truck after a 2 days at a camp site in the Hoosier Nat'l Forest.