Short trip Isle Royale 6-29-14; need help from past visitors

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Short trip Isle Royale 6-29-14; need help from past visi

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Brewerbob wrote:there's only one boss to answer to and me and him get along great.
nice! Sometimes me and that boss make really big plans that kick our butts... but neither of us complain... weird ;)

Sounds like a nerve-racking trip! Glad it turned out ok (minus the gear)
Brewerbob
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Brewerbob »

Lucky Chicken wrote:
Brewerbob wrote:there's only one boss to answer to and me and him get along great.
nice! Sometimes me and that boss make really big plans that kick our butts... but neither of us complain... weird ;)

Sounds like a nerve-racking trip! Glad it turned out ok (minus the gear)
Oh that boss does some serious complaining on Day 2 or 3 especially when standing at the bottom of a steep climb. He usually gets told to quit whining and to suck it up. Every once in awhile, he manages to get at least a lunch break out of it. I think he's getting soft in his old age.

There were a lot of should've ofs, could've ofs, and would've ofs that day. I guess the funny/ironic part was, just before we split up we came across a group of hikers that was looking for a stray. Turns out they were about 1/2 an hour apart from each other. The solo guy that was the stray was doing things right tho. He was staying put at a location for a good while, then left a note of what/where he was going, left behind a shirt and a note at a trail junction, etc. I managed to get him sorted out at least. Little did I know the same was about to happen to me only without the kid doing the right stuff.
Brewerbob
NewbieCake

Post by Brewerbob »

Seaplane booked. See whomever is there on Sonday!! :D Also booked the M.S. Chi-Cheemaun ferry from South Baymouth to Tobermory. Going to Fathom Five National Marine Park as well.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Brewerbob wrote:Seaplane booked. See whomever is there on Sonday!! :D Also booked the M.S. Chi-Cheemaun ferry from South Baymouth to Tobermory. Going to Fathom Five National Marine Park as well.
Nice! I'm jealous--would like to get back to the Bruce Peninsula myself.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Brewerbob
NewbieCake

Post by Brewerbob »

Ingo wrote:Nice! I'm jealous--would like to get back to the Bruce Peninsula myself.
The trunk will he fairly empty if you want to stowaway.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I'm heading for the island myself in a week :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Brewerbob
NewbieCake

Post by Brewerbob »

Back from my 3 day 2 night trip. Pics...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobrogers ... 063402070/
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Hello Brewer bob, hope your adventure was what you had anticipated it to be. I wanted to tell you I have also hiked the island and the smokies. I hiked up over mt. Leconte all the way thru to Grienbrier in 6 days. Loved it, but in a way I find them both to be comparable. There are trails on the island that can push you to your limit depending on the weather, bug population and pack weight. Come back again and explore more. Its everything to love.