Old Trails

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Old Trails

Post by MikeT »

I am going to be posting some "old" trails I have found in my research here.

As I post these old trails, if anyone tries to find them or, does find them, I would appreciate information on what you find to include it in the book. You will be given full credit of course :D

This is what I am calling the Lake Halloran Trail (for obvious reasons). It was shown in a 1965 "official" park brochure. I have drawn the approximate location from the original map on a topo map. I would think this is a good candidate for following and would not be surprised if people do because of the short distance and what looks like easy walking.

It would be approximately 0.52 miles one way and approximately 3.63 miles from the Feldtmann Tower and 1.56 miles from the entrance to Siskiwit Bay campground.
Attachments
Lake Halloran Trail
Lake Halloran Trail
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Old Trails

Post by Tightlines01 »

Love seeing this. Can't wait to see the others.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Wow look at that. Very neat. Why don't you think the trail exists anymore? Do you think it was officially closed or not used frequently to where it did not stay exposed enough to see and navigate?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

From what i saw of that section of the Feldtmann ridge trail it would have been hard to identify a non maintained trail turn off. That section was very overgrown some places 7' high. We were lucky we could keep track of where the feldtmann trail was. Would be cool to find some of these old trails though!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I have to get there to see the isle when everything is grown up.We have only been there in the spring before leaf out......I hate bugs!....not that anyone loves them....

Can't help wait to see more of the old trail.....very cool stuff!
MikeT
IR Pro

Lake Halloran Spur Trail 1962 to 1984

Post by MikeT »

Further info on this trail...
I have documented its existence from 1962 (could be as early as 1955) to 1984 when it was listed as a "non-maintained trail". From 1985 and after, it does not show up on any maps and/or descriptions.

I have only found two descriptions of the trail.

From the 1972 Trail Guide:
"A little over halfway from the [fire] tower to Siskiwit Camp is a spur trail to Lake Halloran. One of the chief attractions of this side trip is a chance to see the rare showy Ladyslipper orchid. In early summer, this plant blooms in some abundance on the moist southwest margins of this secluded lake."

From DuFresne's First Edition:
"It [Feldtmann Ridge Trail] passes the unmaintained side trail to Lake Halloran. The trail - 1.7 miles west of Siskiwit Bay Campground - is no longer marked. But those with the time or who want to day hike out of Siskiwit Bay Campground can hunt for the trail and follow it 0.5 miles to the rectangular lake. Halloran is known for its fine northern-pike fishing and the orchids that grow along the shoreline."

Count me in! I am going to find it!

Fun stuff! There is MUCH more to come!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Nym90 »

Great info, Mike. Looking forward to learning more about these trails. I wonder if any of the rangers could provide info as to when/why these were abandoned.
MikeT
IR Pro

Post by MikeT »

I know this is an old post and I have not posted anything further on the subject, but I hope to. Been busy with some other things related to the island and website and hope to share more trail history. I am planning on searching for this trail this fall. Wish me luck. I will let you know what I find. I have since heard that the rangers know of this trail go there to fish. I will post what I find. I am also going to look for signs for the American Fur Company fishery that existed between Siskiwit Bay and Point Houghton on our way to a backcountry camp on Point Houghton (1846 was the last shown existence, but there may be a clearing or foundations). Details to follow, hopefully.
Mike T.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Up until the early 1990's, there was an "East" trail to Feldtman Lake that went further inland than the "west" current trail that follows closer to the shoreline between Fedtman Lake CG and Windigo. The trail was abandoned because it was too much maintenance over the swampy regions, but it is still clearly there although there are trees down, etc.

I have a 1958 park brochure that shows a number of short trails I think of as "fishermen" trails into different lakes that do not show on today's trail brochures. Halloran is only one of them. I'll see if I can scan it in to share.
conmcb25
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by conmcb25 »

Very cool effort. Ill be watching the thread closely.

I probably wont get to the Island again until 2018, but if this is ongoing, Ill look to search for one of these trails. My 21 yr old would love it. (He usually goes with me on treks.........)
MikeT
IR Pro

Post by MikeT »

Back from the island with a follow up on looking for this trail...

We searched for the Lake Halloran trail with no luck. I marked the 2 GPS points I had that were based on the only two maps I had. Neither one of these were topo maps so, they were only approximations. However, based on the terrain in the area (wetlands to the west and the ridge starting to the east) I do know where it should have been. Bushwhacking would have probably led us to the lake along the approximate course of the original trail (0.5 miles). However, we had bushwhacked the previous day to Senter Point and we were not up for it and, this would be a spring thing to do. Anyone interested in doing this, I will send them the exact coordinates of where I believe the trail started at.

I am hoping to do a backcountry camp at Lake Halloran at some point in my life.

On a side note confirming this: I talked to Ranger Valerie in Windigo on the way back and she said the trail did not exist anymore and she would know.

It was a lot of fun looking for the trail and it reinforced the power of nature and moose. There are game trails everywhere you look. As most of you know, the moose make trails everywhere on the island. They just go.
Mike T.