Itinerary for 1st Time?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

DogMom13
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Itinerary for 1st Time?

Post by DogMom13 »

I have been getting information from this forum for a long time while trying to plan my first trip to Isle Royale. Let me say "Thanks" to everyone that has given me valuable input without even knowing it.
A friend and I were suppose to go last Summer, but a medical emergency forced us to cancel our plans at the last minute. I re-planned our trip for this Summer from 8/4 to 8/10. Unfortunately we will be flying in late on the 4th. I am planning on staying at RH the first night because of that. So, here is what I have so far....

1- RH
2- Chippewa Harbor .....spend the day exploring and night relaxing.
3- Moskey Basin
4- Daisey Farm
5- Lane Cove .....I changed our itinerary recently to add this.
6- Threemile .....and hike back in the morning to catch our plane in the afternoon, or go all the way to RH.

If we are having any problems I thought I would drop Lane Cove and head to Threemile early by way of the Greenstone Ridge Trail.

Any info about these trails....or things we should look for....or best places to look for moose :D would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Itinerary for 1st Time?

Post by Rafiki »

How are you planning to get from Rock Harbor to Chippewa Harbor? That is a pretty ambitious hike and while I'd totally do it, I have a feeling many on here will advise against it. So ya, probably don't want to take my advice. I once got lost on the island and hiked 26 miles. The last 15 miles with very little water and the last 7 miles without any water at all.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
DogMom13
NewbieCake

Post by DogMom13 »

Sorry..........Water Taxi to Chippewa.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

As Rafiki said I'll caution against trying to hike Rock to Chip to most but the hardest core hikers (especially if it's your first trip). If your doing the water taxi your good to go.

As for hiking...
Should be pretty easy from Chip to Moskey, I'd recommend getting going early as this will be the "busy" time on the isle and Moskey is a very popular campground (for good reason it's my favorite). In past years during that time frame I've seen all sites filled for the day by 11:00 before!

Moskey to Daisy is a short hike but the toughest part of the Rock Harbor trail IMO. Certainly doable, but I always seem to underestimate that stretch. Plenty of places to stay at Daisy so no rush in the AM, just get going when ready and hike.

Daisy to Lane cove will be neat hike. Take the trail from Daisy that leads right to Ojibway Tower. Take a break at the tower when you get up onto the greenstone. Hike to Mt Franklin and take a break there to take in the scenery. The descent into Lane Cove is .3 miles past Franklin. The switchbacks are really cool to go through

Start early on the hike from Lane to 3 mile. As you'll want a break after climbing back up the greenstone. The descent to 3 mile is easy but you can take your time. Personally I think 3 mile gets a bit of a bad reputation and I like 3 mile. I've seen some of my best sunrises ever there. I really like the western most 2 shelters (10 and 11 if I remember the numbers right). Nice rock ledge to climb out on with the camp stove, water and coffee packets for the sunrise.

When hiking back to Rock take the Tobin harbor trail. Much easier IMO, no longer and some really nice views of Tobin. If it's calm you'll get great reflection shots of the islands reflecting into the bay.

Enjoy your trip.

Andy
kentcart
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by kentcart »

You are going to love that trip! Water taxi to Chip Harbor is the way to go. We've seen moose on Lake Ritchie, usually on the north shore. While at Chip Harbor, take time to find the old cabin that resides there. My kids spent hours exploring around that area, plus there are fruit trees and bushs all over the place, as I recall. I know we ate a bunch of apples there one year.

Moskey Basin is another fav. Depending on the day, you might have a ton of people there, or just a few. One year in early August we had empty shelters there all day. Same time, following year everything was full and people were sleeping on the docks! We're pretty sure its tied to folks getting to/from their ride on the Ranger. It seems like folks hit MB the day after or the day before the Ranger is due, as MB is a comfortable 2 day hike from RH.

Daisy Farm always seems to me like it is the doorway into/out of the backcountry. I actually like the campground, as I think it is well spaced out and a perfect distance from several excellent hiking locations. If you time it right, you can get a Ranger or Peterson program, which my kids thought was ultra cool when we pulled that off.

DF to Lane cove is a cool hike. I would recommend going up to the Greenstone via the tower. Yes, its a hump up to the ridge top, but the views are spectacular. Up until this point, you won't have been high enough yet to really get some of the breathtaking views, so plan to spend some time snapping pictures. Once on the ridge, the trail is excellent. The descent off the ridge towards Lane cove is exciting, especially if its wet. I always feeling like I'm descending into the "Land of the Lost" or some Jurassic Park-like place! Have your bug dope handy, as this will be where you will find them. One of my diary entries from 2008 or 09 (it was a June trip) went something like, "we've entered the mosquito divebombing training area for the Michigan Mosquito Army. They attack in ranks, and I swear I see their sergeants dressing the lines before the next wave". Other years we've been there and not seen any bugs. Anyway, the campground is cool and it is well worth the trip.

I've kind of given up on 3-mile, even though it is a cool campground and we've seen moose the few times we've stopped. The problem is we never stop when outbound, as it is too close and everyone is motivated to get to Daisy Farm. When inbound, whenever we've stopped in 3-Mile, we've always ended up making the day hike into RH for "pop (regular and barley) and burgers". I prefer to cut out the middleman and just camp at RH, where I get the ambiance of living in a shelter, without the extra 6 mile round trip hike I have to make so my kids can get their burgers and pop.

If you don't see moose by trips end, try Stoll Trail in RH the morning before you head out. The groups I've been with are batting 90%+- on moose when walking the trail. Plus the trail itself is just plain cool. If its hot, consider bringing your swim stuff, as there are some really neat and deep pools around the half-way point. Of course, its Lake Superior and by early August the water temps MIGHT hit the mid-40's this year. YIKES!

Have fun. You have a great itinerary.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

This seems to be a very reasonable plan and a good trip. I like the add of Lane Cove. It is an in and out, but worth experiencing. Also like the Three-Mile stay vs. going to RH, a good move in my opinion. I'd advise taking the Tobin Harbor trail back to RH vs. RH trail, but I think you already know this based on the homework you have done. Seems like you have done your homework. Have a GREAT trip and send us a report if you can.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
DogMom13
NewbieCake

Post by DogMom13 »

Thank you ALL for the advice, it is very much appreciated!! I am adding everything to my notes. I may have some detailed questions when I get everything together. I know I have some gear questions. I will ask them in the proper section though. And you will definitely get a trip report!!