Help with a short trip - Isle Royale Newbie

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

bau68
NewbieCake

Help with a short trip - Isle Royale Newbie

Post by bau68 »

Hello, we are new to Isle Royale and looking for some advice, this forum looks like the best place to get it. I'm a scoutmaster bringing a small group of 5 to the Isle, the scouts are all older and capable of some good hikes, we have two options and don't know what trip is the best for some older scouts eager to learn, see some cool sites and scenery. We have the option to land in Rock Harbor or Windigo and do a 4 day, 3 night trip. We also have the option to land in Rock Harbor and do a 5 day, 4 night trip. Please send me some advice on some routes that we can look at and some cool sites that you'd recommend. Curious if you had the chance to choose which end of the Isle to land on which one you'd favor for some young men to learn and see the sites. THANKS to anyone for their advice! daren.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Help with a short trip - Isle Royale Newbie

Post by philranger »

Welcome to the forums. There is a lot of info here, but I would start with some research using the Park newsletter "The Greenstone". In this publication, you'll find tons of info to help you plan a trip. I too am a Scout leader and one of the biggest complaints I hear from others regarding Scouts coming to Isle Royale is they are too noisy. Isle Royale is about solitude and beauty, so keep these things in mind as you plan your trek. With your proposed dates, you could come in from Minnesota and use the Voyageur or the Sea Hunter to get to the island. From there, you could get off at McCargoe Cove and hike to W. Chickenbone, then proceed down the Greenstone with stays at Hatchet Lake and S. Desor before returning to Windigo. If you come to the island via Michigan, you could go to Lane Cove or Three Mile, then to Daisy Farm or McCargoe. Then to Moskey Basin and head back to Rock Harbor. These are just a few possible treks.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
bau68
NewbieCake

Post by bau68 »

Thanks for your input, I did check out the Greenstone and it did help. With the days we are coming in we can't get to McCargoe. Do you recommend the Feldtmann ridge to Island Mine loop or is that not a very scenic route? is the Feldtmann to Island mine to Windigo a good trail to take some eager young men for a taste of the island?
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

the Feltdmann loop is very scenic, there are some sections that are deep in the woods and or swamps, but there are also many times where it opens up! We just did that loop the other way this last June. We saw all kinds of moose in Feldtmann lake, we even saw 2 wolves (I wouldn't expect that), the fishing there was also great if anyone in your group likes to fish.

Pictures from our trip if you are intrested... http://www.simslifephotography.com/gall ... oyale2014/
bau68
NewbieCake

Post by bau68 »

Thanks for the quick reply. Would you recommend the route in the direction you chose or doesn't it matter much? Absolutely LOVED your pictures, you are truly talented in that area, I actually saw them while searching last late last night and couldn't stop until I went thru them all.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Either way is good, I would recommend going to Feldtmann first with new hikers you will hit great views sooner. Going the other way it is more a walk in the woods for the first day. Still nice I really enjoyed it but apparently people like vistas ;)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

A counter clockwise loop seems to be the preferred direction as the last leg from Island Mine to Washington Creek would then be mostly a gentle down hill walk.

I didn't look up boat schedules to coordinate exact number of days/nights but some variation on this would work.
Night 1 - Feldtmann Lake
Night 2 - Siskiwit Bay
Night 3 - Island Mine or Washington Creek
Night 4 - Washington Creek or Huginnin Cove (or day hike around Huginnin Cove loop)
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
bau68
NewbieCake

Post by bau68 »

Thanks of that info as well. We only have 3 nights, can we make that loop in the 3 nights?
Also any other 3 night loops that anyone would suggest over on the eastern edge? We have interest in Daisy Farm area and the boat schedule may work a little better for us on the east out of Copper Harbor. Any "must see" items over there?
Daren
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

3 nights can easily be done. night one at Feldtmann, night two at Siskiwit, night three at island mine or Windigo. It is a 6 mile walk from Island mine to Windigo but as Ed pointed out it is all down hill and very easy. It would be very easy to get there before the 1pm departure of either the sea hunter or the Voyager.
bau68
NewbieCake

Post by bau68 »

Thanks for the quick reply again. All your help is much appreciated.