First IR Trip - solo itinerary help

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

BryanM419
NewbieCake

First IR Trip - solo itinerary help

Post by BryanM419 »

Background info: mid 40's outdoors type with a few extra pounds, serious nature photographer by hobby.
8/25 - 8/30
My plan:
Day #1 Arrive RH > Daisy Farm
Day #2 Daisy Farm > Moskey Basin
Day #3 Moskey Basin > Lake Richie
Day #4 Lake Richie > 3 Mile or (b) RH
Day #5 catch VIII from RH to Houghton

From everthing I've read here over extending seems to be a common thread for first timers so I tried to plan light.
Also, I wanted to have some down time at most locations to explore/shoot. Any locations I'm missing that might be better for wildlife or stargazing/aurora? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Bryan
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: First IR Trip - solo itinerary help

Post by Ingo »

Photography wise: the hike to Scoville Pt has great shoreline, about 4 miles round trip out of R.H. but you'd probably need to get back to RH the day before. Also need to get up on the ridge for vistas, either Mt Franklin or Mt Ojibway. Get up for sunrises at Daisy Farm, Moskey Basin, and 3 Mile--sunsets will be behind the island, but sunrises can be spectacular on that side. I would probably skip Richie, or just hike there from Moskey, to give you more time to explore and photograph.
Have a great trip!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Agree with Ingo on L Richie. I'd either stay an extra night (and an extra sunrise) at Moskey or do one night at Moskey, then stay at Daisy with a day hike to the ojib fire tower. That would let you get into RH a day early and do Scoville point in the afternoon.
BryanM419
NewbieCake

Post by BryanM419 »

I appreciate you vets that have been there. Nothing beats experience! Still considering options. Scolville sounds like a must add as well as a ridge day hike. What 1 back side site should I looks at for sunsets? McCargoe? And is it worth reworking my 5 days to fit in or wait til next year? :)
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

BryanM419 wrote:I appreciate you vets that have been there. Nothing beats experience! Still considering options. Scolville sounds like a must add as well as a ridge day hike. What 1 back side site should I looks at for sunsets? McCargoe? And is it worth reworking my 5 days to fit in or wait til next year? :)
McCargo doesn't have any view to the west--just straight up the cove. Lane Cove would be the best for a sunset on the NE end--but not sure how open the view is. I'm of the less is more mindset and would save it for the next trip, but you certainly could work it in--it's another favorite of many.
BryanM419
NewbieCake

Post by BryanM419 »

With extra advice I have revised my plan. Tell me what you think, please.

Day #1 RH > Lane Cove
Day #2 Lane > Daisy (via Mt. Franklin and the fire tower)
Day #3 Daisy > Moskey
Day #4 Moskey > 3 mile or RH
Day #5 RH > Houghton

Thank you all for your help!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Since you are looking for photos I recommend getting up early on day 2 so you can get to the tower early... the light will be better for pictures. Mid day at a high point makes everything look flat in pictures.