Your 2cents on these plans

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ffinmich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Your 2cents on these plans

Post by ffinmich »

Planning a trip around labor day.
Day 1 fly into Windigo
Day 2 hike to South Desor
Day 3 hike to Hatchet
Day 4 hike to West Chickenbone
Day 5 hike to Moskey
Day 6 hike to Daisy
Day 7 hike to Rock Harbor
Day 8 Fly out
My main concern is the first hike to S.Desor, looks long and steep. I have hiked from Lake Rithce to Rock Harbor before
with out any problems but not sure how this compares to Windigo to S.Desor. I also figure if I am delayed along the
way I can skip Moskey and go from Chickenbone to Daisy to make up a day, I have also did that hike before. So
what do you all think.
Thanks
Donk_67
Trailblazer

Re: Your 2cents on these plans

Post by Donk_67 »

I'm not really qualified to reply; haven't been to that side of the isle yet...but I'll add .02 cents here. Windigo to S. Desor is a long day. Last year, I had a nice chat with a man at Daisy Farm who had hiked that route with Boy Scouts...not sure of his conditioning, he seemed a bit out of shape to me; his feet were pretty beat up. He was happy to accept the Advil I offered. My biggest concern would be water sources...I'm under the impression you'll have to carry enough water to see you through a long day. Also you're at your heaviest weight (food) starting out from Windigo.
IslandBirdFan
NewbieCake

Post by IslandBirdFan »

That will be nice hike for you. Your first day will be the longest, but you will have fresh legs and the hardest hike will be behind you at the end of your first day on the trail. The Greenstone is a smooth trail and the climb up to Desor is a gentle slope. I would suggest an early start out of Windigo. Up at first light, breakfast, pack, on the trail before the other hikers are out of their sleeping bags. Hatch is a nice lake with roomy campsites. There is a stone stairway leading down to the lake that was built by the CCC. W. Chickenbone is a place to stay but you will love Moskey. Your trip plan is completely within reason. Enjoy!

Blue Skies...
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

My daughter and I did the Feldtmann loop clockwise, so we hiked from Windigo to the juncture where it turns off towards Island Mine. S. Desor is another 4.5 miles past that. The hike up onto the Greenstone wasn't that bad, but when you factor in the weather and as Donk mentioned, your pack will be at it's heaviest. It could be a long day.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Simple solution.....condition and pack as light as is comfortable for your skill level......@ 65 pounds even a level trail is a challenge :) the lighter you go the easier the trail....pretty common sense, I know. This is a simple concept that evades many people. IMO if you are over 40 pounds go through your pack and repack :) just my opinion. Have fun!:)
ffinmich
NewbieCake

Post by ffinmich »

Thanks for the info. My pack will be 30 lbs
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I'll go the other way here... and say I don't think it would be too bad going from Windigo to S Desor. In June we did Windigo to Siskiwit with a couple that we met on arrival (hiked with them to make sure they would make it). That was ~12 miles going at a snails pase (i would have liked to go a bit quicker on the level sections) and still made it in 6 hours. I would think if you are reasonably conditioned and with a reasonably light pack (30 is light... I would be happy with that starting weight) 10.5 mile on the island is very doable!

Everyone goes at their own pase and distances, so judge your trip based on your experiences/ group activity level, but most of all have fun! Sounds like a good trip.
ffinmich
NewbieCake

Post by ffinmich »

Thanks for the reply's, now I off for a 10 mile training hike.