Windigo to Rock Harbor

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

mepi
NewbieCake

Windigo to Rock Harbor

Post by mepi »

I have a tripped planned next week to backpack Greenstone Ridge trail from Windigo to Rock Harbor for 5 days, 4 nights and we are taking plane over for transportation so we get there around 11 the first day and leave at 11 on our last day. Originally I was planning on:

Day 1 - Windigo to Island Mine
Day 2 - Island Mine to Hatchet Lake
Day 3 - Hatchet Lake to East Chickenbone
Day 4 - East Chickenbone to 3 Mile
Day 5 - 3 Mile to Rock Harbor

After researching campsites, it appears that Island Mine and East Chickenbone may not be the best campsites to stay. Does anybody have alternative suggestions for itinerary (we are experienced backpackers)? I would like to keep days to 10-12 miles at most if possible.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Windigo to Rock Harbor

Post by NancyT »

I absolutely LOVE Island Mine, one of my favorites. Instead of East Chickenbone, I'd go to West, much better water access and atmosphere.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I agree with Nancy. I would stay at West Chickenbone. I would also stay at Moskey or Daisy Farm and your last night at Three Mile. Skip the last night at Rock Harbor and hike back the day before you leave. You'll still have plenty of time to catch the boat home.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

The worst thing that can be said about Island Mine is that it doesn't have a lake view, and sometimes the water source isn't flowing to strongly. That wouldn't be much of a complaint anywhere except Isle Royale. I stayed there three weeks ago with my daughter and niece. It was their first time on Isle Royale and they didn't have any complaints about Island Mine for their very first night on the island. My niece enjoyed listening to all of the birds singing in the trees. We had an afternoon arrival on the float plane, that was the only place we could get to anyway, and not having negative thoughts about the place made it more enjoyable I think.

I'd take West Chickenbone over East Chickenbone any day. I hadn't been at that site since a stay in 1998 so I stopped for a look around on my last trip. As a campsite it's adequate, but it's not where I'd want to enjoy my afternoon and evening if I had other reasonable options.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I agree on W. Chickenbone over E. Chickenbone.

You could hike from Windigo to S. Lake Desor on your first day (once you are at the trail intersection that goes to Island Mine, the Greenstone is "fairly" level (for ISRO) to the intersection leading to SLD.

You would then have a lighter 2d day to Hatchette Lake, which would then allow for the possibility of including Moskey Basin on day 3.

Other than access to the Rock Harbor lodge, bar, and showers, the Rock Harbor Campground does not have any great scenic attractions and quiet that 3 mile has...

Good luck!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I like island mine, beautiful spot. Nice little stream .....campfire ring.For our group it was hard to beat. East chicken bone would be a place to sleep .....that is about it. The water access is something to be desired. We had to check it out for ourselves.....we found it, we checked it out, we kept on a going ;) .Hope you have a great trip!
mepi
NewbieCake

Post by mepi »

Thanks for the information everybody. It sounds like I can keep Island Mine in the itinerary and have the option go go to Lake Desor but rather keep the first day short if I can. I will cut out East Chickenbone since that seems to be the popular opinion. This will be my first trip there and I can't wait to go. Thanks again.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

FYI. Hatchet to Moskey is a serious pull. I LOVE Moskey but be prepared if you try it. Also not a good option if your trying to "do the Greenstone ridge trail". If you want to hike from Windigo to Rock I'd personally drop down to Moskey but not if your trying to hike the majority of the ridge.