HELP! Upcoming Trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

mcmaho37
NewbieCake

HELP! Upcoming Trip

Post by mcmaho37 »

Hello All,

I was just wondering if anyone has a good idea of a plan of attack my wife and I should take. We are arriving at Rock Harbor on Labor Day and will be returning on Friday. We're taking the Isle Royale Queen out of Copper Harbor. I have done lots of research and have looked over Capt. Ben's route map. I just thought maybe some of the experts on here may have some good ideas! We're both in our early 30s and in pretty good shape, runners and cyclers. I admit this is my first backpacking trip. I definitely want to see as much as possible but also understand that we need to take it all in too. If anyone has some pointers on some routes we should take, please let me know.

Thanks

Jim
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: HELP! Upcoming Trip

Post by Lucky Chicken »

my tip... pack light, and when you think you have packed light enough take half your stuff and leave it home. The most common mistake for new backpackers is bringing too much junk. I also recommend going on a training trip or two even if it is your back yard. If you dont use it there you dont need it. (exceptions for rain gear and first aid)

Otherwise plan reasonable miles 8 or less for new packers, and allow for schedule changes if you are feeling good and want to go more or want to stop and rest.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

The famous hiker, Colin Fletcher, wrote wisely. . . . "Count the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves."
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

The Queen will get you into Rock Harbor earlier in the day. Daisy Farm is 7 miles from Rock Harbor and could be a good Day 1 objective; Moskey Basin is 10 miles or so from RH and could be an alternate objective if you are feeling really good. McCargoe Cove or Todd Harbor could be Day 2 objectives. Depending on how far you get by day 2, Hatchet Lake, W. Chickenbone or Lake Ritchie could all be in play for Day 3. Day 4 could be Daisy Farm or 3 mile. Day 5 would be back to RH.

You have less daylight to work with in September, so this should be a consideration for planning purposes.

Weather will be an issue: the ferries will not run if waves are above 10 feet or so and you may not be able to get to the island or from the island. Weather could also influence your plans on the island -- if there is a lot of rain, you may consider hitting campgrounds with shelters (3 mile, Daisy Farm, Moskey Basin, McCargoe Cove, Todd Harbor) over campgrounds without shelters (Hatchet Lake, Lake Ritchie, W. Chickenbone, E. Chickenbone, Lane Cove...). After Labor Day you should not have a problem with getting a shelter. You can always change your plans once you are on the trail.

I don't know how long the Restaurant/bar at the lodge is open after Labor day -- I think a week or so???? -- but that could be a factor in your planning as there is nothing like coming out of the back country and getting a cold beer and pizza...

Take the Tobin Harbor trail as this will save you time getting to Daisy Farm or points further out.
mcmaho37
NewbieCake

Post by mcmaho37 »

Thanks Redbad!