Building a Boardwalk

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Building a Boardwalk

Post by hooky »

I always wondered what it would be like to build some of the boardwalks on the island. I stumbled across this on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 757&type=1
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Building a Boardwalk

Post by philranger »

How long is that boardwalk on the Minong between N. Desor and Windigo? That one ran on forever. Plus it was over some pretty sketchy water.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I've not been on that one, but the one on the way to Malone is fairly long and high up at some points. That would have been a bear to build.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

hooky wrote:I always wondered what it would be like to build some of the boardwalks on the island. I stumbled across this on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 757&type=1

The FB link does not work for me. States the content is currently unavailable. Must be me.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Here's the link to the group page, Ed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/55417353756/

Hopefully that works for you and you can get to the album.

Looks like fun, huh?
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

I believe you have to be a member of Facebook to view the links above. Alas, I am not a member.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

IncaRoads wrote:I believe you have to be a member of Facebook to view the links above. Alas, I am not a member.
And Facebook is not very friendly in letting you know that. The second link made it clear I needed to log in while the first one simply stated "Content currently not available. Link may have expired".

Inca, do you know why I now get emails saying there is a new post here but none exists? I am subscribed to all the forums. It use to work just fine. Maybe with the lack of posts the forum is getting lonely and simply wants me to check in? :? :roll:
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

hooky wrote:Hopefully that works for you and you can get to the album.

Looks like fun, huh?
As soon as I logged in, the link worked. I don't have an account so I used my deceased wife's account. I just need to be careful I don't "LIKE" stuff, lest I shock some of her friends, LOL.

I always wondered (and still do), if they import all the timber and lumber. I find it difficult to believe they cut down any live trees locally.

With the labor cost of construction materials being so high, it must be difficult to make engineering decisions on the fly. Every decision or change in plans that calls for more material, I'm sure gets a second and third and fourth re-calculation and re-thought.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Midwest Ed wrote: Inca, do you know why I now get emails saying there is a new post here but none exists? I am subscribed to all the forums. It use to work just fine. Maybe with the lack of posts the forum is getting lonely and simply wants me to check in?
We have been getting a fair amount of spam posts on the forums as of late, and not much else. Those posts would send you an email regarding their presence, and furthermore, I send them to the bit bucket as soon as I detect them. By the time you log into the forums they are gone.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Midwest Ed wrote:
hooky wrote:Hopefully that works for you and you can get to the album.

Looks like fun, huh?
As soon as I logged in, the link worked. I don't have an account so I used my deceased wife's account. I just need to be careful I don't "LIKE" stuff, lest I shock some of her friends, LOL.

I always wondered (and still do), if they import all the timber and lumber. I find it difficult to believe they cut down any live trees locally.

With the labor cost of construction materials being so high, it must be difficult to make engineering decisions on the fly. Every decision or change in plans that calls for more material, I'm sure gets a second and third and fourth re-calculation and re-thought.
After looking at the pictures, I don't think there's a whole lot of forethought and planning that goes into it. The labor is essentially treated as a fixed cost and there are lots of decisions made based on the hours of available daylight and what you know will work vs. what won't. It reminds me of being a kid and building fences with/for my Grandpa and Dad. I was certainly a fixed labor cost and there was always tomorrow if I got something wrong. it didn't matter as long as I didn't ruin any of the material. :lol:
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

hooky wrote:I was certainly a fixed labor cost and there was always tomorrow if I got something wrong. it didn't matter as long as I didn't ruin any of the material. :lol:
My perspective more about handling exeptional situations. If it looks like I'm running out of material and I might need to hoof it, 10 miles back to the dock, to get one more 80 pound timber, I am going to be taking a second look at the engineering in play in order stretch out the materials on hand (without sacrificing structural integrity of course). It's just a slightly different mindset when you can't jump on the tractor and head to the barn for another trailer load of lumber. :D
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Good point.

:)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Boy am I glad to hear that they fixed up that boardwalk.I am no small boy and with a pack on my back that board walk made me sweat in a few places :) . That is deffinately a nice piece of cargo on that pack!!.....air drop please. I am sure the air national gaurd would love a little practice in the off season ;)
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

A little story in the 2016 Greenstone about maintaining boardwalks. Yes, they do use helicopters (to my surprise) to drop in planks http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... nstone.pdf. Wonder if this is new, or how long it's been going on.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH