First Time to the East Side

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

bratsch2
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

First Time to the East Side

Post by bratsch2 »

Hi Everyone -

A group of us (5) are heading to the Rock Harbor side of the island for the first time this next summer. I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to give me some feedback on the itinerary. (The trip is so far away, but I can't stop thinking about it!) I've been to I.R. twice and most in the group have been once. We do have one first-timer. Everyone is in decent (or better) shape for backpacking. Here is my tentative plan so far...

Day 1: Arrive at Rock Harbor - Hike to Moskey Basin (11 miles)
Day 2: Moskey Basin to Chippewa Harbor (6.2 miles)
Day 3: Chippewa Harbor to Daisy Farm (9.7 miles)
Day 4: Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor (7.1 miles) - Leave I.R. :(
Total: 29.6 miles

Another option I was considering is substituting McCargoe Cove or W. Chickenbone instead of Chippewa Harbor. Which campsite/hike is nicer? What would you all recommend? How does the itinerary sound, as a whole?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: First Time to the East Side

Post by Donk_67 »

How and what time are you planning to arrive at Rock Harbor? 11 miles with a late(ish) start on day 1 can make for a long day. the section between Daisy and Moskey has been hot and trying on both of my trips: interior with a lot of exposed stone soaking up the heat of the sun. You know what the terrain is like on IR, so that's a judgement call on your part, but from my own experience, 11 miles is ambitious.

I haven't made it to Chippewa Harbor yet, so can't really compare it vs McCargoe. However, McCargoe is nice but a bit on the crowded side and the hike from Moskey to McCargoe is, in my opinion, one of the easier hikes on the isle.

Another point to consider: your current itinerary appears to have quite a bit of backtracking. The East side of the island easily lends itself to circuitous trips as long as you're willing to hike a section of the Greenstone, which has on the East end, perhaps, a few more vistas than on the west end.

Enjoy your trip. My 3rd visit won't happen in 2015 :-( but, I'm targeting summer '16 as my next return.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I would rather spend the last night at Three Mile and hike back to Rock Harbor in the morning.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
bratsch2
NewbieCake

Post by bratsch2 »

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering, too, if 11 miles might be too much on the first day, considering we would be arriving that day and wouldn't have a full day to hike. I'd really like to stay at Moskey Basin one night since I've heard great things about it. Would it be too much to take our newbie to Lane Cove the first night? It's a shorter hike but I've heard there's a pretty steep portion of the trail. I'm thinking maybe Lane Cove--Moskey Basin--Three Mile?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Which boat are you taking? Arrival time to RH will limit what you can do. Sure, you can take a newbie to Lane Cove on the first day. Getting there can be no problem most of the summer, even if you arrive on the Voyageur II. It's the getting back out that everyone remembers. :wink:
I've hiked Lane Cove to Moskey, and it's not a hike I would readily plan to do again. It gets a bit long, and all the rocky surfaces tough on the legs. Fortunately, it was early May, but I would think mid summer would make it pretty rough if the sun was beating down.
Three nights is slightly going to limit what you can do on the East side without some sort of 'out and back' on some of the same trails. A fourth night can do wonders to add to the loop, but I know that's not always in the cards.
Fortunately, since you're not a group, you can keep the itinerary fluid, and see how the newbie does, as well. RH to Moskey isn't unheard of, and Moskey is a great camp. If you don't make it there, you can always stick to Daisy. Fortunately, the mid-point around McCargoe/Chickenbone/Ritchie/Chippewa/Moskey has some of the best camps on the Isle, IMHO.
bratsch2
NewbieCake

Post by bratsch2 »

The plan is to take the Queen from Copper Harbor, so it looks like we'll arrive about 11:15. We're hoping to make the trip in early August. I really wish we could add a 4th night, but this is all the vacation time we can gather this time around. Here's me trying to get creative - what about this idea?

Day 1: Arrive on the Queen at 11:15am. Hike Tobin Harbor to Mt. Franklin to Mt. Ojibway to Daisy Farm. (9.0 miles)
Day 2: Daisy Farm to Moskey Basin (3.9 miles- easy day) Or add another 2.3 miles to Lake Richie
Day 3: Moskey Basin to Three Mile (8.3 miles)
Day 4: Three Mile to Rock Harbor (2.7 miles) - Depart on the Queen at 2:45pm

Does this seem more manageable?

Thanks again!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

This plan seems very doable. Moskey Basin is stunning. Glad to see you guys aren't rushing back to Rock Harbor for the last night. Every time I've stayed at Three Mile, I've been rewarded with a moose sighting.

Are you the couple my wife and I talked to on the trail to Huginnin last year? I see you're from Lacrosse.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
bratsch2
NewbieCake

Post by bratsch2 »

Great- thanks for the feedback. I feel good about this route. Not as much backtracking and we get to see more of the island.

Yes, we're the ones you met on your way to Huginnin. We're excited to try the east side this time!

Oh- and I'll tell my moose-happy brother you promised him a sighting at Three Mile! :)

Thanks again!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I am sure you will have a great time as "East-Enders". In addition to the Moskey Basin campground, your revised itinerary offers an excellent opportunity for experiencing Greenstone Ridge vistas (weather permitting). A word of mild caution. Don't underestimate your "easy day" along the Moskey Basin trail. It follows an ancient shoreline. That section has some of the most rugged terrain on the Island. Not much elevation change but quite a bit of constant up and down with taller than normal step ups and step downs, sure to give your knees a work out. Be thankful you aren't scheduling that 4 miles at the end of a longer day.

I think you have a great schedule but just to keep you thinking... starting in Rock Harbor you will have access to the commercial water taxis that can be reserved ahead of time. It can "zip" you out on a one way trip to several campgrounds on Lake Superior. This allows for less backtracking and can extend your "reach" given a limited number of days. The water taxis is not cheap according to many budgets but the per person cost really starts dropping after 3 people. With a party of 5, a drop off at Chippewa Harbor or Moskey Basin is $44 and $42.4 per person respectively.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013