Miles suggestions

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

slsail
NewbieCake

Miles suggestions

Post by slsail »

Taking my daughter in early June. both of us reasonably fit
Have 4 days on island
Is 7.5 miles a day reasonable around rock harbor and east half of island
Suggestions welcome
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Miles suggestions

Post by Tightlines01 »

How olds your daughter? 7.5 miles per day isn't too bad if your used to hiking. Reasonably fit doesn't always equate to hiking ready
slsail
NewbieCake

Post by slsail »

Daughter is 18
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

7.5 isn't too bad and you guys should be fine. Just make sure you have reasonable pack weights. Footing on the island is the hardest thing to get used too. Other than in Rock Harbor and Windigo there practically isn't a flat step on the island.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Like he said reasonable pack weights is key to enjoyment. All of those little comfort have to have items = misery.Those dog gone rocks can be a real deal breaker.7.5 mile days is a nice distance.

My personal favorite suggestion is a good training plan/program with your packs and hills included. Not just easy hills, find the nasty ones. We train on one of the local ski hills ....just to give you an idea.We also train with about 15 extra pounds of weight,It has never let us down.It sounds like you have been there before so you know what the hills are like.Better to pay your dues at home, then coast through your trip in style!!! ;)

I have no idea what your experience levels are. A good shake down run with your crew always helps. It gives everone a chance to test gear,break in boots and learn to mesh as a team.A little extra bonding time is always a great thing,no?I hope all of your planning goes well.