Feedback for AUG 2015 1st IR Trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MavTech77
NewbieCake

Feedback for AUG 2015 1st IR Trip

Post by MavTech77 »

I am planning a 2-3 man trip to IR from Grand Portage, MN. We are still flexible on length of trip, but are thinking 4-6 days, (4-5 full with 1/2 days on arrival and departure.) But we are still planning.

I need help determining the best routes as this is peak time and our first visit.

Day 1: My first thought is to be dropped off at McCargoe Cove at 1pm by the Voyager II. It will cost more but they list it as a drop site.
Then finish at Windigo. I don't know how many days to plan and still make it a great experience.
We are ok with mile range around 10/day but fewer/day would make it more enjoyable.
"Camp at Little Todd Harbor, Lake Desor, and Hugginin Cove. Plan a layover day at Lake Desor to wade into the chilly waters on a sandy spit, then lounge on sun-warmed slabs" - quote from Backpacker: http://www.backpacker.com/trips/minneso ... dI3ux.dpuf

Your feedback is much appreciated. Other drop site suggestion are welcome too. Thank you!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Feedback for AUG 2015 1st IR Trip

Post by JerryB »

Take a look at the many trip reports. You seem to be planning on hiking the Minong Ridge, and skipping Todd harbor (I presume you would camp at McCargo). Minong is the most difficult trail on the island. While you could skip Todd Harbor, I do not recommend it and definitely not if you are not staying the night at McCargo. Given this is your first trip to the island, I would suggest something other than the Monong. Here are three options you may want to consider:
1. Feldtman Loop out of Windigo
2. McCargo-Todd H-Hatchett Lake (or skip this site)-S. Lake Desor-Island Mine-Windigo
3. McCargo-Moskey-Chippewa (pick up by Ferry)

The first and third options are what I would recommend. There are countless variations. For example, add in Todd Harbor and West Chickenbone afte McCargo inthe third option. Again, there is loads of information on the forum and in the trip reports. Good luck and enjoy
MavTech77
NewbieCake

Post by MavTech77 »

thank you JerryB
MavTech77
NewbieCake

Post by MavTech77 »

2nd question: How often would we run into fellow hikers in early to mid August? I ask because we are debating inviting a 3rd person to our 2 person group just for safety in case of an emergency. But if you see other people daily that would be less of a concern for us. Thoughts?
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Depends on the route you take. In August, you will likely see someone even on the Minong. Last summer, in June, I saw no one for three solid days on the Minong. (I posted a trip report on that outing.) But it is certainly possible that you will see no one, even during busy times, on the trail on some days. In August, I suspect someone else will be at each campsite. I have done trips to I.R. with two people and I would not be overly concerned.

One final point I forgot to mention. In planning your trip from Grand Portage, you can get to Windigo on any day, but only the Voyager II goes around the island (McCargo, etc.), so you need to be aware of its schedule for drop offs and pick ups.
MavTech77
NewbieCake

Post by MavTech77 »

JerryB. you will be happy to know we went with your #2 suggestion:
McCargo-Todd H-Hatchett Lake (or skip this site)-S. Lake Desor-Island Mine-Windigo
Night 1 MC, N2-TH, N3-HL, N4-SLD, N5-IM,then take the boat to the main land.

We are so excited. Saturday August15-Thursday the 20th on the island. This will be a dream come true for me. A wilderness i heard of years ago and just now the plans are coming together.

Thank you to all the many contributors on this forum. The love and passion for this national treasure drips like honey from the posts i've read. That is some good honey. In summary thank you and keep doing what you do. it works and it helped a Newbie like me realize the dream. I can't wait to give a trip report on August 21st from home :)

Jeremy
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

That North side of the island is something I haven't seen firsthand yet. Looking forward to your trip report in 5 or 6 months.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

MavTech,

McCargoe to Windigo is a fun hike. If you take the Minong Ridge trail, you will be putting in some very hard miles, however. As the Backpacker article links to, staying at Huginin also adds on about six extra miles in total. You can go right from Desor to Washington Harbor, then have some "home" luxuries (we stash some beers in the lockers at the Windigo store). Here's a helpful search that has some trip reports that will tell you what you're in for: http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/search. ... mit=Search

If you wanted to start in McCargoe, you could do McCargoe to Todd, to Hatchet, then Desor, and end in Washington Creek/Windigo. This isn't as exciting as the Minong ridge, but it's much easier.

If you want a great intro to Isle Royale, the Feldtmann loop is a sure bet. You get a taste of everything, and you can do it in four nights. It's also a great trip if you want to fish. A quick Trip Report search is here: https://www.isleroyaleforums.com/search ... mit=Search

As far as the number of people going, you can be equally safe with two people or three people. We usually hike with three, which is kind of a logistical problem as we have to have two tents, and other gear is then paired unevenly--just like meals. However, three is company, and there really is a big difference to have that "group feel."

The only Feldtmann trip report I've done here, but I've probably done the trek at least four times: http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/viewtop ... =feldtmann