Advice on short hikes?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

tripplelindy
NewbieCake

Advice on short hikes?

Post by tripplelindy »

Hi Gang...I've been boating & fishing many times at I.R..never been past Chippewa or Finlander...My wife and I are planning a 7 day trip to go around the island...catch a few fish each day..and see some sights...take a few short hikes..looking for some advice..Can i dock at the Edisen fishery dock and hike to the lighthouse and Rolf Petersons cabin?...also...whats on the "don't miss" list for the Rock Harbor area? Scoville Point hike? Can I get from the Merritt Lane dock to Lookout Louise? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...Paul... To clarify...we will be aboard a 25 ft power boat..
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Advice on short hikes?

Post by 3MTA3 »

You can get from the dock to Lookout Louise. Just go to the northern side of Tobin Harbor and keep an eye out for the trail. As far as I remember, you can't miss it (or it's very difficult to). I went to Scoville Point for the first time this summer and it was amazing. Both places will require a camera and some snacks because you're going to want to stay a while! Make sure it is a clear, sunny day when you go to Lookout Louise. It was when I was up there and we could see to the other end of the island. I'd say those are the two "don't miss" places for the Rock Harbor area, in my opinion.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

It sounds like you are boating. If not then most of the following still applies. I'm not familiar with Finlander with respect to IR. The dock at the Edison Fishery is one of many public docks you may use but you cannot overnight. There is usually a volunteer or volunteer couple at Edison to help answer questions. The lighthouse and Petersons are both nearby via short trails. If you're lucky Rolf and/or Candy will be home. They are both exceptional hosts. Lookout Louise is accessible via a dock at Hidden Lake in Tobin Harbor. The trail head to Lookout Louise starts right at the dock. Getting to LL from Merritt Lane campground would be quite a difficult bushwack. There are other public docks without a campground you may use to access the area of interest during the day. At several of them there are appointed days and hours when you must make sure to give way to the 40 foot Lodge tour boat, The MV Sandy. Similarly, boats must give way at many campground docks during designated days and times to the larger passenger ferry Voyageur II. The best resource for boating and dock details is a park brochure simply called The Isle Royale Boating Guide.

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... 2013-2.pdf

There are other short day hikes or half day hikes available in many places. Beside the aforementioned Lookout Louise and Scoville Point, there is a trip up to the Greenstone Ridge from either Daisy Farm or Three Mile that should not be missed. Wait or hope for a sunny or at least a clear day as the vistas towards Canada are fantastic. The Daisy Farm choice offers a longer second option in the form of a triangular loop and the Ojibway Fire Tower. From Moskey Basin there is a 4 mile round trip but very easy on the feet and not very hilly, walk out and back to Lake Ritchie. Good fishing for Northern and a nice bluff for lunch. Not to mention that Moskey Basin is a top favorite for many. On the north east side of the Island there are many nooks and crannies to explore from the water. Further west at McCargoe Cove you have access to the Minong Mine ruins and Chickenbone Lake fishing is close by. Todd Harbor is my personal favorite for campgrounds but the docking can be a bit shallow. If you're at Windigo, the Hugginin Cove Loop is nice.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

Midwest Ed wrote:It sounds like you are boating. If not then most of the following still applies. I'm not familiar with Finlander with respect to IR. The dock at the Edison Fishery is one of many public docks you may use but you cannot overnight. There is usually a volunteer or volunteer couple at Edison to help answer questions. The lighthouse and Petersons are both nearby via short trails. If you're lucky Rolf and/or Candy will be home. They are both exceptional hosts. Lookout Louise is accessible via a dock at Hidden Lake in Tobin Harbor. The trail head to Lookout Louise starts right at the dock. Getting to LL from Merritt Lane campground would be quite a difficult bushwack. There are other public docks without a campground you may use to access the area of interest during the day. At several of them there are appointed days and hours when you must make sure to give way to the 40 foot Lodge tour boat, The MV Sandy. Similarly, boats must give way at many campground docks during designated days and times to the larger passenger ferry Voyageur II. The best resource for boating and dock details is a park brochure simply called The Isle Royale Boating Guide.

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... 2013-2.pdf

There are other short day hikes or half day hikes available in many places. Beside the aforementioned Lookout Louise and Scoville Point,
there is a trip up to the Greenstone Ridge from either Daisy Farm or Three Mile that should not be missed. Wait or hope for a sunny or at least a clear day as the vistas towards Canada are fantastic. The Daisy Farm choice offers a longer second option in the form of a triangular loop and the Ojibway Fire Tower. From Moskey Basin there is a 4 mile round trip but very easy on the feet and not very hilly, walk out and back to Lake Ritchie. Good fishing for Northern and a nice bluff for lunch. Not to mention that Moskey Basin is a top favorite for many. On the north east side of the Island there are many nooks and crannies to explore from the water. Further west at McCargoe Cove you have access to the Minong Mine ruins and Chickenbone Lake fishing is close by. Todd Harbor is my personal favorite for campgrounds but the docking can be a bit shallow. If you're at Windigo, the Hugginin Cove Loop is nice.
Yes, that it an amazing walk. Difficult in sections but well worth it. Go towards McCargo from Daisy & you'll see some amazing views! A great trip would be to go to this outlook & then make the triangle hike mentioned here.

These were from July 2014:

Scoville Point

On the way to McCargo from Daisy
tripplelindy
NewbieCake

Post by tripplelindy »

Midwest Ed...Thanks for the info ...somehow the dock at Hidden lake was totally off of my radar! am I correct to say that the Lookout Louise trail goes past Monument Rock? my Nat Geo Trails map is currently in the boat!...and yes..I'm aware of thr Boating Guide and passenger boat ptiorities at the docks..3MTA3...great pics! Thanks to both of you for the info!! fyi Finlander is a reef that is a few miles up the north side from the north gap..I dont plan on fishing ON the Island..
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

The trail from Hidden Lake to Lookout Louise goes right past Monument Rock, at least within a couple of hundred feet if memory serves.

There is a picture of Monument Rock, I took from the trail, in this report from 2013. Edison Fishery dock is also shown:

http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2316
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013