3 or 4 night trip suggestions

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

KyleS
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

3 or 4 night trip suggestions

Post by KyleS »

greetings. I am trying to plan my second trip to Isle Royale. Last time we were there my son (he was 6) and I got dropped off at McCargo Cove and hiked to Chippewa Harbor. I am trying to plan a 3 or 4 night trip for him, my wife and myself this summer. Likely to be 3 nights. I realize longer would be better, but such is life.

I am looking for trip suggestions from Rock Harbor. I am willing to incorporate a water taxi into our plans if that will make the trip better. Any thoughts?

If we decide to go out of Grand Portage, we will likely do the Feldtmann Lake Loop. Seems doable in the counterclockwise direction in three nights. Ferry schedule doesn't work as well though.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: 3 or 4 night trip suggestions

Post by Lucky Chicken »

From grand portage you could always go out on one boat and come back on another to help with the schedule.

I haven't experienced the RH side, but the Feldtmann loop is great! Don't forget your fishing pole Feldtmann lake has some great pike fishing from shore.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

KyleS, From Rock Harbor there are nice places like Daisy Farm, Moskey Basin and Lane Cove that are not too far off. At Rock Harbor you could hike east to the point, or rent a canoe and go to Lookout Louise.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Highly recomend Daisey farm.My daughter loved meeting Candy and Rolph, it was one of her trip highlights! They have that program they put on about the wolf moose study ....great for the youngsters to learn! Sorry I don't remember what days that is though,I am sure someone on here does though. Plus it has a great beach for the youngster to play on.

I also have not been past Daisey farm so I cant help toward Rock harbor.

The feldtman loop is a great trail, hard to beat it for sure. Just a thought,but if I did that trip with my 6 year old I may consider it in reverse.That is however a matter of personal preference. There are a few spots I would rather go down than up.It all comes out in the wash though. Reverse in my mind would be to Island mine then down to siskiwit.We went the other way.

Hope this helps :)