Minong Ridge Trail suggestion?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Plantaris
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Minong Ridge Trail suggestion?

Post by Plantaris »

Any suggestions on the direction to hike the Minong? Is it better to hike from McCargoe Cove to Windigo or Windigo to McCargoe Cove? Seems like lots of people go towards Windigo, but I would like to fit in some additional time on the Rock Harbor end of the island too so was thinking of starting in Windigo.

Last summer on my first time on the island I hiked Windigo - Feldtman - Siskiwit Bay - S. Lake Desor - Todd Harbor - McCargoe Cove - Daisy Farm - Rock Harbor. I want to come back and do more of the Minong. I was thinking of starting in Windigo, doing the Minong and then either heading over to Moskey Basin and Chippewa Harbor or ending up in Rock Harbor to catch the Voyageur back to Grand Portage.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Minong Ridge Trail suggestion?

Post by Midwest Ed »

Your previous trip mirrors my second one in 1975. I haven’t done the stretch of Minong from Little Todd to Windigo so my opinion is based on the collective opinion of reading and talking to others. I’m never comfortable giving differential advice (do this vs. do that). It always seems to depend so much on personal preferences and abilities. I think it is fair to say the lower sections of the Minong Trail are generally the hardest on the Island. I think a big reason is because it is the most primitive and least “improved”.

Which direction I think depends mostly on your preference for doing the hardest at the beginning or the end of your journey. Will you be in better, worse or the same shape after several days? Saving it till the end will mean your pack weight will be lower but what will be the condition of your feet?

I’m sure you will get several current opinions and this history recorded on this forum can provide so much more. I suggest searching for such terms as Minong and beaver dam, especially in the Trip Reports and Trail and Campsites sections. I say pick a direction then return to tackle it the opposite way and let us know what you think. If you have a good frame of mind you can’t go wrong.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hello.It kinda sounds to me that you have it figured out and are sitting on a good solid trip plan.We did the Minong from windigo around the Hugginin loop and up to Daisy farm last year. It was all good ;) .I agree with Midwest ed in the fact that direction is a point of view. Having done the Minong, I personally wouldn't sweat the beaver dams.I would recomend poles or a stick to keep balance and aid with keeping dry feet.Water up when you can, the ridges tend to be quite warm....except for when they are not...then they are wet and slippery :( .Moskey is beutiful ...a must see. Chippewa was nice, but I was an exit point for us .....that bummed me out. Anyway it sounds like a good time. Have fun planning, I know I am.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Plantaris,

The biggest thing to know is that the Minong is difficult. You're already aware of this, so you're set. Direction on the Mining is all personal preference.

Windigo to McCargoe front loads the difficulty, while McCargoe to Windigo let's you ease into the trek, ending with the hardest.

The Minong is a beautiful hike...isolated and rugged. You'll love it. Be prepared and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your hike!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

Taking the Minong from North Lake Desor to Windigo might be a bit easier only because you are generally going downhill (although it seems that you have to go uphill as much as downhill). You will have two beaver dams to negotiate, but they are fairly easy crossings. This stretch is the most difficult section on the trail.

The biggest issue is to bring plenty of water. There are not many places to resupply water apart from the beaver dam impoundments.

Either direction, I highly suggest stopping at Little Todd. It is a scenic wilderness campground that does not get a lot of traffic.