General Campsite question

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

hermsker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

General Campsite question

Post by hermsker »

I pulled this from the backcountry zones thread....If you stay on-trail during your visit, the registered itinerary on your backcountry permit lists the campsites you plan to visit. Keep in mind that this is a tentative plan upon which you are free to improvise, sometimes by necessity as dictated by the weather, fitness level, or minor injury. For example, if you decide to go around a loop trail in the other direction, or bypass campsites on your itinerary, or stay an extra day at one because of weather, etc., it's no big deal....

I have already paid for my park user fees online. Is this "permit" something different than this? If so, how do I go about getting one and getting them my itinerary for campsites? Thanks in advance.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: General Campsite question

Post by IncaRoads »

The daily user fees are collected to fund backlogged park maintenance projects, such as docks and trails. The free backcountry permit lists your planned itinerary and is obtained when you arrive on the island at Rock Harbor or Windigo. They are two separate items.

Link to the Isle Royale National Park web page on permits --> http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/permits.htm
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: General Campsite question

Post by Ingo »

The permit simply helps the park service keep track of where people are, or went. When you arrive on the island a ranger will do an orientation on the dock and then you'll go into the rangers station were they'll fill out your permit and you'll list your itinerary. There's no more money involved :). However, if you're taking the Ranger III (park service boat out of Houghton), then you'll do this on the trip across, saving you a little time. When camping you hang the permit on your tent or the shelter door. If you change your itinerary they ask that you write it on the permit, and then turn it in at the end.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH