Spring Trip 2015 - Late May/Early June

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

NorthernJ
NewbieCake

Post by NorthernJ »

Hi everyone,

First thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. After going through virtually every thread, this place has been a wealth of information.

I'm planning my first visit to the island this Spring. Was trying to go up last Spring, but ending up being short on time and decided on a Pictured Rocks trip instead. I had no idea of the beauty that Lake Superior has to offer and since then have been Jonesing for trip to Isle Royale even more!

This will be my first solo backpacking trip so want to be fully prepared. I'm planning on going up the last weekend this month or early June. Since I'm going solo I have the advantage of being somewhat flexible on the weekend. First question, do the boats fill up this early in the season? Should I be reserving a spot now or can I get away with a few days out? Wanted to take the risk of bad weather/work responsibilities out to a certain extent... Planning on the ferry out of Copper Harbor, Friday departure with a Monday return.

My trip itinerary is as follows - Lane Cove > Moskey Basin > Three Mile. Is there a more sequential trip out of Rock Harbor where I see Moskey and Lane that I should consider? Basically open for suggestions on a different option than the last night at 3 Mile.

I am usually tent camping in the back country, so I'm intrigued by the shelters at Moskey. I was wondering the likelihood I would be able to secure one on a Saturday this time of year? I would probably arrive in camp(Moskey) around 3-4pm I presume...

Also are there good sources of water from Lane to Moskey? Might be a silly question with the amount of lakes on the island, just want to eliminate some variables.

Thanks for any input!
NorthernJ
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Spring Trip 2015 - Late May/Early June

Post by Tightlines01 »

I doubt boat will fill up for first trip.

3 mile would be my suggestion for camping last day on a 3 night loop if your wanting both lane and Moskey also.

Bring a warmer bag than you think you'll need the shelters at Moskey and 3 mile will be cold (colder than tenting).

I'd think you'd get a shelter but no gauruntee at Moskey

Very little water on the way until you get to Daisy Farm. Id drink a quart before you start out (prehydrate) and stock up to get to Daisy. Stop by the fire tower and mt Franklin. Drop down to Daisy Farm from fire tower on Ojibway and over to Moskey. Easy water resupply at Daisy if needed.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Enjoy your trip! BTW, 3 mile gets a bum rep IMO. I've had some of my best sunrises there. Try shelter 10 or 11 and hang out with your coffee on the Boulder ridge by the water while the sun come up.
NorthernJ
NewbieCake

Post by NorthernJ »

Thanks Tightlines!

I will take your advice hydrate before I'm on the way to Moskey.

Unfortunately I have a bag that is rated +15* F, but usually won't keep me warm if it's colder than 30* F. Don't think I will splurge on a new bag however since I recently purchased a new water filter... I'll hopefully get lucky with decent weather and maybe set up a tent within the shelter if needed..

Right on with the suggestion of coffee and a sunrise at 3 mile. It does seem like a nice site, along with it being an easy out the last day.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

A couple of tricks I've learned to extend the rating of sleeping bags if you need it...

1. Take one of the tow/hand warmers and throw in bottom of your sleeping bag (This will wear off, but is nice to climb into a toasty bag ahead of time)

2. Make a warm water bottle. Boil (or near boil) water in your pot, pour back into your water bottle (I use a 750 ml stainless steel bottle for this). Place inside wool sock. Place warm water bottle next to Femeral artery in you leg while you sleep. It warms the blood and body temp slowly. If it cools off and you wake up, keep your stove close to reheat and repeat (usually only have to reheat it one time)

3. Wear a hat to bed.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I will add to tightlines01's suggestion for upping a cold bag.I saw this on a utube channel....it really helps.I have been playing with a dollar store reflective sunshade for a car windsheild.I sleep on a neoair and reaized that I was getting cold from underneath me.We do a bit of. winter camping and in northern wisconsin winters, every little bit counts ;) It weighs like 3 or 4 oz and seems to add about 15° of warmth.....putting my bag at its true rating of 20° .Use it between you mat and bag...boosts foam mats too :)

Use jacket as a spare blanket...rain gear etc.

Not sure if this would apply ...but.My Dad uses an extra layer between rain fly and tent, he uses a space blanket .

I always get cold ....it just sucks!!! :cry:

Good luck....maybe we will see ya on the trail :grin:
NorthernJ
NewbieCake

Post by NorthernJ »

Appreciate the suggestion Tree Ratt. My setup is a Big Agnes bag with the slot for the sleeping pad underneath. There is zero insulation when it doesn't have the pad put in. I've been using it for about 5 years now, and it's let me down a few times. Not the best, but going to stay with it for a little while longer.

Willing to endure some colder temps at night in exchange for less bugs and crowds.

Hope to see you out there too Tree Ratt
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

HI Welcome to the island. I myself will be traversing Isle Royale first week of June. From past experience, since I always go at this time is to over prepare for cold. Nights will be very very cold.
I take a sleeping bag liner with a zero degree mummy bag. If you sleep in too much you will sweat and then you will be colder when you get up. I use a simple fleece zip up and actually put it around my pad and bag and zip it up on th eoutside. I know it sounds silly, but it works great!!! and if you get warm, you still have the option of the fleece to use on top of the rest. $ under 20.
Moskey is wonderful, and 3 mile is totally under rated. I loved it there so much we changed our plans last year and hit it twice. You shouldnt have trouble with a shelter this time of year. there are people who just dont want to stay in them. keep your ears open to the sounds of the island, and you will be amazed at what it shows you. Have a safe trip.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

NorthernJ, welcome to the forum. To answer your questions, from my point of view:

- The likelihood of the boats filling up out of the Upper Peninsula this early in the season is slim, but I'd encourage you to call the booking lines from time-to-time and ask about the space available.

- You've got a good optimal route for this loop, given the time frame. The distance from Rock to Lane Cove is 7 miles and is a lot of uphill, then steep downhill. Two years ago when I made the hike into Lane Cove, it was almost impassable due to the downfall from the winter. The trail maintenance crews are short-handed and can't clean up the trails as fast as they normally would. Keep this in mind for your hikes in and out of Lane Cove.

The distance from Lane Cove to Moskey Basin is 11 miles. This hike is a tad easier once you get out of Lane Cove onto the Greenstone. So you're not seeing the same terrain over, I'd hike the Greenstone to Mount Ojibway, then hike down into Daisy Farm, and finally over to Moskey. The only leg of this hike that is tough is coming out of Lane Cove up to the Greenstone. After that, the Greenstone is wide and easy to hike, downhill into Daisy Farm, and a gradual up-down-up-down into Moskey.

For your final leg, from Moskey to Three Mile, you're looking at eight miles. This is the exact same hike as your last leg into Moskey the day before. The shore line hike from Daisy to Three Mile can be interesting, as you're hiking the jagged rock formations the Lake/harbor formed. From there, it's a three mile (aptly named) jaunt back to Rock for your boat ride out.

- If you're OK with an early-up on the day of your departure, I'd recommend staying in Three Mile. Rock Harbor gets busy the night before a boat arrives or departs, and the only time I've stayed in Rock, I was forced to stay in a group campsite because the shelters and campground was full. Staying at Three Mile will almost ensure you get a place to stay (maybe even a shelter), and you'll "beat the Rock Harbor crowd."

- The likelihood of you getting a shelter in Moskey at this time of year is HIGH. Two years ago when we stayed in Moskey, we got a shelter no problem. Fun fact: the last week of May when we were there, we were the ONLY people in Moskey. I recommend shelter #8, but it may get chilly, as it faces the lake and is on a relatively unsheltered point (with an amazing 270 degree view).

- Water is scarce when you are on the Greenstone, so make sure you have plenty of water when you come out of Lane Cove. Once you're over the Greenstone and back to lake level, water is more plentiful. You'll be able to find streams to refill your water containers.

All of these statements are contingent upon a number of factors that are too enumerable to list. Most of my opinions expressed above are on a similar trip I took two years ago, that you can read about here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2200&p=14618#p14618

Regarding staying warm, a 15+ Big Agnes bag that isn't warm enough in 30-degree weather? Time for a new bag, or at least an email to Big Agnes to ask "WTF." I use a 15+ bag as well, and sleep with a thin fleece hat, fleece shirt, and some next-to-skin baselayer on my legs. It's more than warm enough (I sometimes sweat), but I don't want to have to mess around with putting all that on when I have the inevitable midnight pee. Wear some clothes to sleep to keep you warm, wear a hat to bed, and stuff the bottom of your sleeping bag with laundry to keep your toes warm and reduce the amount of space in your bag your body has to generate heat to keep warm.

Regarding the cold while in a shelter at Moskey or Three Mile: if your tent has a foot print, some people hang it on the bottom-half of the shelter in front of where they sleep to block the wind. This could also assist. There's a nice railing to store stuff and hang a tent foot print with something heavy.

Enjoy your trip. You're in for an amazing time. There's a reason why this will be my 12th trip out to Isle Royale...you'll fall in love. Also, it appears we'll be out there at the same time, but on different ends of the island. When you finalize your itinerary, be sure to add it to our Isle Royale Trip Calendar, located here: app.php/calendar
NorthernJ
NewbieCake

Post by NorthernJ »

I like the idea of adding a sleeping bag liner Zims. That seems the most cost effective solution. Thanks. And very much looking forward to the sounds of the island. Especially since I'm traveling solo and won't hear the chitter chatter/singing of my hiking members. Going to add a different dimension to the hike that I think I'll enjoy.

Fonixmunkee, thank you for the description of what I'm going to encounter. And your trip report was very insightful. It sounds like the last leg into Cove could potentially present a problem. Hopefully the trail is evident enough this Spring where I don't lose track of it - one of my biggest fears.

I now am officially excited to stay at 3 mile! Looking forward to an easy hike out on the last day. The ferry doesn't depart until 2:45, so I'll have time to tool around and enjoy the morning. Maybe a plunge into Lake Superior followed by a hot shower at the visitor center.

Getting more and more pumped for this trip!! Looking forward to the mental challenge of completing a short solo and perhaps running into some people from here. The next few weeks are going to go by very slowly.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I have a silk liner I use with my 35 deg bag--makes it usable into the 30s if I also sleep with a base layer. While not the warmest liner you can get, definitely makes a difference (at least 5 maybe 10 degs for me) and only weighs a couple ounces. However, what you have under you for insulation is the biggest factor.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH