Lane Cove

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Lane Cove

Post by trailgoat_70 »

Heading to the island July 12. This time I'm spending my first night at Lane Cove. I've always gone the Three Mile route for my first night...staying at Three Mile or Daisy. I'm pretty excited to spend a night at this campground. I've only hiked about 2/3 way down the Lane Cove Trail and then turned around and hiked back up. Staying here the first night will really set up the trip. I will have to use my tent (I've only had to use a tent twice during previous trips--snagged shelters) and it seems to be a fairly remote campground. Pictures I've seen on this site and others are beautiful. I know I'll be kicking myself for having not stayed there previously. My second day will be a hike to Daisy. I'm taking the Voyageur out the next morning to Malone Bay.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of those of you who have stayed at Lane Cove. I would also expect there to be fewer hikers from my ferry heading that way. It always seems to be a mad dash for Three Mile? Just looking for some insight and a story or two. Thanks!
"I am a happy camper so I guess I’m doing something right."

- Henry David Thoreau
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Lane Cove

Post by Tom »

So, you hiked 2/3 down the hill, and then went back up?!? You did all the work but enjoyed none of the benefit! :P

My fondest Lane Cove memory was about 5-6 years ago. We took the first boat, and dropped off at an empty, abandoned Rock Harbor. (Which is eerie in itself.)
My brother-in-law and I hiked down the Tobin and then up the Mt. Franklin trail. We were the only pair going this way, the only other two hikers were going to Three Mile. I recall hiking down the north face of the Greenstone Ridge, thinking, "I am not looking forward to this in the morning..."
It was early May, and given we didn't get into Rock until 3pm or later, we were starting to lose sunlight fast when we made it to camp. We did, however, have the opportunity to watch sunset.
There was no wind that night, and daytime temps were already only in the low 40s. That night we dropped to sub freezing. I recall waking around 2am to the sound of... nothing. No waves lapping the shore, no bugs buzzing, no frogs croaking. It was dead silent. One of those dead silents that makes you snap your fingers just to confirm you haven't gone deaf. Amazing, and a memory I'll always keep.
There is something about a morning and fresh legs that doesn't make the climb back out seem quite as bad, and we hiked on to have lunch at Daisy and the next night at Moskey... It was a great start to a trip! You'll enjoy!

I'll agree, I tend to think the "dead-end" camps get less traffic than those on a thru trail, and perhaps that just make sense. Even Chippewa and Malone tend to see more traffic only on Voyageur days, from what I've seen...
trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat_70 »

Ha! That hike was more of a scenic one-off as I was heading to Daisy Farm that day. You're right--no pay off! :)

I can only imagine what Rock Harbor feels like with no activity, just thawing-out from the winter. Eerie sounds like a good description. So few on the island also adds to the solitude. A silent, still Lane Cove sounds like just what the doctor ordered! Thanks for the reply!

This will be my 3rd time to Malone. I was the only hiker during my first two stays. It's such a beautiful area--I pretty much use it as a zero day. Read, cook, lounge. Maybe a day hike. The next day is certainly a long haul for me, as I'm heading to Todd Harbor. Great hike, though.

- Henry David Thoreau
cjhiker
NewbieCake

Post by cjhiker »

Lane Cove is definitely worth the work. Loon serenades and the most beautiful sunsets ever.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

Lane Cove is still one of my very favorite campsites, absolutely worth the hike down and back up! Sunsets are gorgeous!!!
We also were at Rock Harbor once and were the only two there. Eerie is a perfect description.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Lane Cove is just 1 of 5 campgrounds on Lake Superior with no shelters. I haven't been back to Lane Cove since the campground was moved many many years ago. The old one was on The Lake's shoreline but under heavy canopy so it was quite dark, even in bright sunlight.

I would be looking forward to Todd Harbor. It's just that Todd Harbor is my favorite campground. My best trip to TH also began in Malone Bay. I was so tempted to stop at Hatchet Lake because I was out of water but had no filter at the time and was going to have to boil, so I pressed on. What a great reward.

Regarding starting a trip at Lane Cove, I've sometimes thought it would be interesting to arrive in Rock Harbor on a Monday or Wednesday, then take the Hidden Lake/Lookout Louise tour the following morning, but instead of returning by boat, continue to Lane Cove.
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Tue May 19, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Midwest Ed wrote: Regarding starting a trip at Lane Cove, I've sometimes thought it would be interesting to arrive in Rock Harbor on a Monday or Wednesday, then take the Hidden Lake/Lookout Louise tour the following morning, but instead of returning by boat, continue to Lane Cove.
Pretty much what we're doing this time. Into Rock. Relax and do the Stoll Trail. 1st night in Rock and then get up early for the water taxi first thing next day to start at hidden lake and up to Lane Cove for the night. This will be my 2nd trip into Lane Cove.
trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat_70 »

Midwest Ed wrote:Lane Cove is just 1 of 5 campgrounds on Lake Superior with no shelters.
That makes it even more unique, in my opinion. Great factoid, Ed.
Midwest Ed wrote:I would be looking forward to Todd Harbor. It's just that Todd Harbor is my favorite campground. My best trip to TH also began in Malone Bay. I was so tempted to stop at Hatchet Lake but I was out of water and had no filter at the time so I pressed on. What a great reward.
I love Todd Harbor, too. I was also going to stop at Hatchet Lake the first time I hiked out of Malone Bay. At the time, I found Hatchet to be pretty underwhelming and decided to tough it out to Todd Harbor. I was glad I did, because it is one of my favorite campgrounds on IR.

- Henry David Thoreau
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

trailgoat_70 wrote:
Midwest Ed wrote:Lane Cove is just 1 of 5 campgrounds on Lake Superior with no shelters.
That makes it even more unique, in my opinion. Great factoid, Ed.
And only 2 of those 5 shelter-less campgrounds on the Big Lake have no dock (Lane Cove and Hugginin Cove), thus making them even less visited.
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Midwest Ed wrote:Lane Cove is just 1 of 5 campgrounds on Lake Superior with no shelters. I haven't been back to Lane Cove since the campground was moved many many years ago. The old one was on The Lake's shoreline but under heavy canopy so it was quite dark, even in bright sunlight.
It has been over 20 years since my last visit to Lane Cove Campground (1993). I did not know that they had moved the site. When did they move it?
I do remember that our group was the only occupants of the campground on that evening and I would assume we selected the best site available.
The camp was under tree canopy.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

I will echo what the others have said about Lane Cove. It was well worth the trip, down and and back up to the Greenstone, to camp there. I remember soaking in the shallow area of the bay and walking the shoreline to and through the portage. At the end of the portage it seemed like a nice, quiet bay. I can't wait to paddle those back bays!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

head2north wrote:It has been over 20 years since my last visit to Lane Cove Campground (1993). I did not know that they had moved the site. When did they move it?
I do remember that our group was the only occupants of the campground on that evening and I would assume we selected the best site available.
The camp was under tree canopy.
It has been over 35 years since I was there. Here's a map of the approximate location of the old campground. Probably all overgrown by now. Even if not overgrown it is too close to the Lake to be used as a bushwhacking campsite.

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Midwest Ed wrote: And only 2 of those 5 shelter-less campgrounds on the Big Lake have no dock (Lane Cove and Hugginin Cove), thus making them even less visited.
Don't forget Little Todd!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Tom wrote:
Midwest Ed wrote: And only 2 of those 5 shelter-less campgrounds on the Big Lake have no dock (Lane Cove and Hugginin Cove), thus making them even less visited.
Don't forget Little Todd!
Thanks Tom. How could I have overlooked LT? I am surprised Hay Bay has no shelter.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Haybay does not have a shelter but it gets overlooked a lot of times because it doesn't have an official hiking trail. Only one camp site