Family trip Intinerary feedback

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

bakchr
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Family trip Intinerary feedback

Post by bakchr »

We are planning a trip in mid-July. I have read lots of good information in the posts here, thank you all. I appreciate the effort you all make to share your experiences. My wife and 3 daughters will be going along and have never backpacked before and I have done Isle Royale before, but about 25 years ago. I am about ready to book the tickets, but I thought I would post what we have come up with for any feedback people may have. I have Jim DuFresne's Isle Royale book and the NG Trails Illustrated map. We are planning to leave from Grand Portage take the boat to McCargoe Cove as our starting point, 8 nights on the Isle and planned pickup at Chippewa Harbor. There was some thought of extending this to 10 nights with basically the same route, extra rest days at Todd Harbor and Chippewa Harbor, but I think I have been out-voted. Some people think that the family bonding might start to unravel after 8 nights :) I was also giving some thought to getting a food drop mid-way through the trip. It would work out for the Voyageur II to drop at Daisy Farm in this itinerary, rate is $1/lb. I figure that might save us from lugging around about 20 extra pounds between the 5 of us for the first half of the trip. Any thoughts appreciate, particularly on the trails and campsites. It doesn't seem overly ambitious to me, but I have only vague memories of the island.

Trip B - Nights mi.

Grand Portage 0.00
McCargoe Cove 0.00
Todd Harbor 6.60
Hatchet Lake 3.90
Chickenbone W 7.90
Daisy Farm 7.90
Moskey Basin 3.90
Moskey Basin 0.00
Chippewa Harbor 6.20
Home 0.00
bakchr
NewbieCake

Re: Family trip Intinerary feedback

Post by bakchr »

Bumping this for any feedback - we are heading out soon, but this whole trip is based on theory. I would be especially interested if anyone has had experience with being dropped off and picked up at the alternate locations (McCargoe and Chippewa Harbor) or getting a mid-trip resupply (Daisy Farm). I made all of these plans based on reading here and on other resources, but would like some validation before we leave that it seems workable. We have never been to any of these areas, so it is all new to us.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

All but 1 of my trips have involved at least 1 drop-off/pick-up somewhere other than R.H. or Windigo. Getting dropped off is real easy--just have your "carry-on" stuff ready. The crew will pass your packs off the boat to you, so don't all head off immediately (sounds weird, but I've seen it happen). McCargoe Cove is about 2 miles long and a no wake zone, so you have plenty of warning. As far as the pick up--don't be late :shock: , early is good, and have your gear on the dock ready to load on the boat. I tend to get a little antsy waiting, but there's plenty of reasons why it may be late (or early)--weather, number of stops, waiting on other folks, etc. If the weather is bad, it's late, and you're wondering if it's coming or not, make sure you keep your gear at the dock, someone watches, and everyone stays within earshot, even if it's all day. This doesn't happen often, but it can. I once left R.H. at about 1pm instead of 7am because of the weather. The rangers had been able to alert the folks we picked up at C.H., but you can't count on it. All that being said, overall it's been remarkably on schedule for me.

Can't speak to the food drop--never done that.

I've done much more paddling than backpacking, but I do know the hike from Todd to Hatchet is easy--so that's almost like a layover day. And bring plenty of water--2 liters each was not enough for us between Hatchet and CBW. Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

The distance traveled on the Voyager from Windigo/McCargoe and Chippewa/Windigo is an treat with smooth waters. You get a good view of those section shorelines as boat travels as close to island as possible. I would suggest that your family have their rain jackets and pants on or available (for warmth) if you wish to gain a fresh air view from the bow seats - Lake Superior wind can get chilly.

Not sure when your Daisy Farm overnight is scheduled, but I believe Saturday Rolf/Candy Peterson give their moose/wolf presentation in the evening.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

I've been dropped off at McCargoe Cove and picked up at Chippewa Harbor. This is standard operating procedure for the Voyageur II and its crew. Note that the Voyageur II may not stop at any docks other than Windigo and Rock Harbor unless there are appropriate reservations. Be aware that delays, although rare, can happen on the outbound or inbound trips; bad weather and high winds can delay travel for short periods of time. Refer to my trip report --> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1502
bakchr
NewbieCake

Post by bakchr »

Thanks! It is reassuring to hear from others with experience. Months of excitement building to a boiling point!