Another Lane Cove question

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Another Lane Cove question

Post by philranger »

I am planning on visiting Lane Cove this year and staying two night. Here's my question . . .

Should we hike there from Rock Harbor and use the layover day to hike to the Eastern end of the Greenstone and Lookout Louise OR

Should I take a water taxi to the Greenstone trailhead and hike to Lane Cove.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Another Lane Cove question

Post by Tightlines01 »

I'm choosing the water taxi. It's a long hike going there and back in the same day. I don't have my map in front of me right now but guessing it's about 17+ miles round trip.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Another Lane Cove question

Post by jerry »

I've camped at Lane Cove for two evenings and day hiked out to Lookout Louise. I did not go down to Tobin Harbor. The view from Lookout Louise is great! So I hiked somewhere between 14 and 15 miles that day. Left early to avoid the heat of late afternoon, but still had some from noon until somewhere between 1 and 2. The early morning hike was cool and beautiful. Still remember it fondly. There were lots of grasshoppers during the hike back.