First IR Trip – Itinerary

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Kevin K
NewbieCake

First IR Trip – Itinerary

Post by Kevin K »

Hoping I can get some feedback on what I am planning for this trip.
Two male mid 20’s. Experienced campers and avid outdoorsmen, I would conservatively estimate us at moderate hiking level and moderate backpacking expertise. Our physical fitness levels are above average and have been preparing for this adventure.
Below is our plan, please let me know what you think. Suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Trip date: 6-27-15 to 7-3-15 7 days on island
We will be arriving at RH via Isle Royale Queen IV Saturday.
Saturday Rock Harbor - Daisy Farm 7.1
Sunday Daisy Farm - Chippewa Harbor 9.7
Monday Chippewa Harbor - West Chickenbone 7.9
Tuesday West Chickenbone - Todd Harbor 9.3
WednesdayTodd Harbo - East Chickenbone 8.7
Thursday East Chickenbone - Lane Cove 10.9
Friday Lane Cove - Rock Harbor 6.9
60.5 miles total

we plan to carry all drypacked food.

thank you for your input in advance!

-Kevin
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: First IR Trip – Itinerary

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to Isle Royale!
I am sure you can handle this trip, but I would suggest scaling back. The trip should not be an endurance test. Leave time to explore and enjoy the island. A layover day along the way is usually a good idea, in the event of weather, tired feet, or just a desire to relax. Most people come back to the island more than once, so don't try to see everything at once.

Some other options for you--Moskey Basin (a great site) and McCargo Cove (another great site). Combining these may help you avoid the Chickenbone sites.
Kevin K
NewbieCake

Post by Kevin K »

Thank you for the quick reply Jerry,
Are the Chickenbone sites not desirable? We are planning to fish a bit, so perhaps shorter hikes would be good. In the research iv done i saw Chickenbone lake, and lake richie were decent fishing lakes on the East end of the island. This is why initially planned on visiting Chickenbone twice.

If i switch it up a little, is it achievable to reach lane cove on the first leg? Rock harbor to Lane cove, given the hike would not start until after 12 that afternoon from boat travel?

Rock Harbor - Lane Cove 6.9
Daisy Farm - 6.9
McCargoe Cove - 8.2
Monkey Basin - 8.4 stay for 2 nights (day hike to richie lake to fish)
Three Mile - 8.3 (read mixed reviews on threemile)
Rock Harbor - 2.7

Total 41.4
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

The Chickenbone sites tend to get bad reviews, but I do not know whether they are good for fishing. I am not a fisherman, so I hope someone else will weigh in with guidance for you. Otherwise, check out the fishing threads on the forum. Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy it.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

West chickenbone is not that bad of a site IMO, east chickenbone is a good bit of a hike to the water.

If your looking for fishing I'd recommend lake Ritchie.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Tightlines01 wrote:West chickenbone is not that bad of a site IMO, east chickenbone is a good bit of a hike to the water.

If your looking for fishing I'd recommend lake Ritchie.
Agree. We liked West Chickenbone. Haven't stayed at East, but it may rank last of all sites on IR. Since it's all relative, that doesn't mean it's bad, but it's one of the few that is not on water and apparently a good hike to get it. Richie has the rep as the best fishing lake (northern and perch), but Chickenbone has been productive, and has some walleye.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH