Trail Choice

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Camp 42
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Trail Choice

Post by Camp 42 »

Hello, I have a trip dilemma and l am looking for advice. I have been reading this forum for years now and turn to the pros for advice. Minong ridge trail (McCargoe to Washington Creek) or Feldtmann Loop. Also, should the Feldtmann loop be done clockwise or counterclockwise? One more thing, how is Island mine campground and the water situation there? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks :D
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Trail Choice

Post by Tightlines01 »

Hi camp42,
Most all of your questions are really personal preference questions.

When are you going? That may greatly affect the water at Island Mine. It's water is via a small stream running through camp. The only time I went through island mine was when I did the feltdman countr clockwise (minus the section back to Windigo) and then across to Rock Harbor. It was early Sept and there was a very small trickle of water. I've heard reports of the stream drying up in the dead of summer but never witnessed it myself.

As for Minong vs Feldtman. Both are great trails. Minong in my mind is great as each leg seems to be a different taste of the island terrain each day. If you go don't skip Little Todd. It's a great campsite.

I did the Feldtman counter clockwise and the climb from siskiwit to island mine was one of the toughest on the Isle IMO.

Bottom line GREAT trails you can't go wrong on either IMO.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Welcome to the forum, Camp 42!

Like Tightlines01 indicates, it's somewhat personal preference, and whether or not you've been to the Isle before, backpacking experience, etc.
To a newbie hiker, the Minong could be a little rough. To someone with some time with a pack, it's certainly doable. Awesome trail, and the views are earned.

You can't go wrong with Feldtmann for all hikers; it's a great loop trail. Personally I like hiking it counter-clockwise, and I would recommend doing so if hiking with folks new to IR. Mainly, because the clockwise hike first day is generally an uphill, through the woods hike to an inland campground. Kinda ho-hum. The other direction will put you to Grace Overlook in a couple miles, and then at an awesome camp with often good moose watching opportunities, and really set the tone of the trip. So, I just think it makes for a better start.
As far as a camp goes, Island Mine is a top 3 campsite.... For about two weeks in September. The rest of the time it's often placed near the bottom of folk's favorite camps. It's not that it's necessarily bad, it's just that the others are so good. :wink:
At the moment (Fonix just got back) the report is that the island is pretty wet - So, I would guess Island Mine is flowing just fine. This can change, and it really depends on time of year and recent moisture.
WindChill
NewbieCake

Post by WindChill »

Im doing a combo route in about a month: starting at McCargo Cove we'll take Mingong to Hatchet Lake trail to Greenstone Ridge to Island Mine then the Feldtmann Loop going clockwise to end at Windigo. Overnights are at Todd Harbor, S. Lake Desor, Siskiwit Bay and Feldtmann Lake.
Camp 42
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Camp 42 »

Thanks for the input. We will be getting to the Island on Sept 9 and leave on the 13th. There are three of us and on our 1st trip to the Island, we hiked the Mingong Trail from McCargo to Washington Creek. I guess my real concern was if there would be any water at Island mine that time of year or do we have to carry it from Sisiwit bay? Thanks and keep the comments coming!!!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Sounds like a great trip. My guess is there will be water. I once had to "dam up" a bit of the stream to collect the water. Worse case: There is no water and you skip the site. It would not take long to reach Siskiwit or Windigo if you had to do so.

My own preference on Feldtman (a great route) is clockwise. I did that once because I was concerned the trail was going to be very muddy and climbing up to Island Mine from Siskiwitt could have been bad. I posted my trip report from that trip and raised this exact question. People weighed in on both sides. Bottom line--personal preference.

As for F. Loop or Minong, both are great. Minong is certainly more difficult, both physically and following the trail.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

We have been to Island Mine in the spring and fall and had no problem with water either time.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info