End Of Season Trip to East Side

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

End Of Season Trip to East Side

Post by JerryB »

I am planning a solo trip at the end of the season (Labor Day to Friday). I have been all over the west side of the island (Minong, Feldtman, etc.) but this will be my first trip to the West side. Moskey, Chippewa and McCargo are as far west as I have gone.

I would appreciate anyone's reaction to this itinerary and camp sites, or suggestions for alterations:

Monday: 3 Mile or Daisey Farm (depending on how I feel and the weather)
Tuesday: Lane Cove
Wed. Lane Cove (day hike to Lookout Louise)
Thursday: Rock Harbor Lodge (just to treat myself)
Friday; Return home

I know the itinerary is easily doable, but is there a more interesting route or sites to see? Also, I am curious as to whether I can expect many others to be on the island--it is after Labor Day.

Thank, everyone!
JerryB
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: End Of Season Trip to East Side

Post by Tightlines01 »

Hey Jerry,

After labor day there will likely still be more people on the East side than your used to seeing on the west side.

Day 1 3 mile or Daisy,
Both are very doable. I prefer the Tobin Harbor trail (then down Mount Franklin to 3 mile) much more than the Rock Harbor trail to 3 mile. It's easier on the feet and has very nice views of Tobin Harbor. Personally I'd probably go for Daisy Farm unless you are tire or really not up to it. Daisy is the largest campground on the island and while there will be people around you should be able to seclude yourself some still due to the size of the campground (and you gotta visit it once right). Also this sets up day 2 to Lane cove nicely for two very different, but great views.

Day 2 Daisy to Lane
I'd get up and take the trail out of daisy (pack LOTS of water) to Mount Ojibway Fire tower. Maybe even get up before breakfast since you can leave easily from a shelter, and have your breakfast break at the Fire tower. You'll get some unbelievable distance views all around the island. Pretty cool experience to do at least once. Beware of your hat if there is much wind at all that day. The higher you climb the winds strength goes up exponentially. Continue on from there to Mt. Franklin (personally one of my favorite views on the island). Take a quick break or lunch here as your only about .3 miles from the turn/descent into Lane Cove. There is something very unique about Mt. Franklin view looking down 100+ feet at the tops of the trees. Enjoy the switchbacks (pretty soon on the descent) into Lane.

Day 3. Day hike to Lookout louise
This will be a long day hike, but lots do it. Bring LOTS of water, perhaps cache a bottle somewhere safe on the way out after getting back up onto the ridge so you don't have to carry it so far down to and back from lookout louise. I'd recommend getting up early as it'll be a full day hike.

Day 4. to Rock Harbor.
You could take either the Rock Harbor trail or the Tobin Harbor Trail depending on how you're feeling. Either way, very doable from Lane to Rock. Take your time and be careful.

Sounds like a nice quick trip. Enjoy!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Regarding water resupply on the trip out to Lookout Louise, I have used the Duncan Bay/Tobin Harbor portage trail to access Duncan Bay and filter some fresh water. It is a little bit of a climb down and back up but not too hard. If you have any reserve energy left at Lookout Louise (the halfway point) you also may consider hiking down to Hidden Lake (hiking down and back would add 2 miles to your day hike). At a minimum, follow the Hidden Lake Trail down a bit to get a good view of Monument Rock. Link for added information on Monument Rock ---> http://www.geo.mtu.edu/KeweenawGeoherit ... ouise.html
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thanks to you both. Very helpful. I was hoping the place would be pretty deserted, but I recognize even "crowded" in IR terminology is pretty good. One of my favorite memories of the island is over three days on Minong when I and my hiking partners saw no one and had three campgrounds to ourselves.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

Hello Jerry,

You probably won't remember me but we met several years back at Isle Royale. We ended up at the pizza joint in Grand Marais, having pizza and talking. I am from Minot, ND and my name is Brent. Anyway, if you have the time while in Rock Harbor, hike the Stoll Trail. It is even mentioned in this month's issue of Backpacker Magazine. On the way back to Rock Harbor be sure to take the Tobin Harbor trail. It is well worth the time and effort!
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thanks for the tip, Brent. I think you may have met "Jerry" as opposed to "JerryB", a source of some confusion of the Forum! Jerry is a regular contributor and hiker on the island. I remember him telling me that he likes Sven and Ollie's.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thanks for everyone's input. I reserved a water taxi for my arrival date, to take me to Hidden Lake. That way, I will see Lookout Louise and camp on night one at Lane Cove. I want to be at Rock Harbor on Night 4, so that presents a choice to me. I plan on Daisy Farm as my other camp. Does anyone see any other good option to: Lane--Daisy--Rock harbor? Moskey and Chickenbone seem a bit far. If not, recommendation on two nights at lane versus two nights at Daisy? Or staying one night at Three mile? Thanks!