Backpacking with kids

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

seldred73
NewbieCake

Backpacking with kids

Post by seldred73 »

Hi all,
So glad to have found this resource! We are planning a trip for early August with our family ranging in age from 7 to 70. We are thinking of taking the boat from Grand Portage, and our ideal daily mileage would be around 4-6, for 2-3 days.
Any suggestions for a low-mileage trip?
Thanks!
Sheila
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Backpacking with kids

Post by Lucky Chicken »

It's not that short of mileage but the Feldtmann loop is a nice 3-4 day, or the Hugginin loop will keep you busy for a day or two the west side is a bit more effort, but it does have less miles.
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Consider continuing from Windigo to McCargo Cove on the Voyager. The middle lake region offers a rather short bisect of the island to Chippewa Harbor. From
Chippewa Harbor you can board the Voyager back to Windigo and return to Grand Portage.

You will have McCargo Cove, West Chickenbone, Lake Richie, Moskey Basin, and Chippewa Harbor campgrounds to choose from on your hike.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

With just 2-3 days I think the Huginnin Cove loop is your best bet. It's a beautiful site, and within your mileage. I did a relaxing 3 night solo trip--Washington Creek, Huginnin, Washington Creek--that was great. But you can also make Huginnin from Windigo the same day you get off the boat, and/or coming home. If you have 3-4 nights, I like head2north's across the island suggestion, too. All nice sites--Chippewa Harbor is one of my favorites.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH