Proper Use of Group Campsites

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Proper Use of Group Campsites

Post by JerryB »

I have a plea to make: Please only use a group campsite if you are part of a registered group assigned to one (barring an unusual situation of lack of space at other non-group sites). Our Scout group just got back from the island and had an issue with a solo hiker (maybe there were two of them--I did not get all the details) using the group site. He refused to move because, he said, the trees at the group site worked for his hammock. He was also drinking pretty heavily. Fortunately, matters did not turn ugly and he did move on.

I suspect most users of the forum, typically fairly experienced, follow the rules. For those unfamiliar with the rules, groups of seven to ten are required to use group sites and are not allowed to deviate from their itinerary.

Venting over! Thanks.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Re: Proper Use of Group Campsites

Post by Ingo »

JerryB wrote: For those unfamiliar with the rules, groups of seven to ten are required to use group sites and are not allowed to deviate from their itinerary.
And non-groups (6 or less) and not allowed to use group sites--for that reason.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
WindChill
NewbieCake

Post by WindChill »

I had the same problem on one night of our trip at the end of June. It was our first night and two of the three group sites were occupied by a single tent. Fortunately the third site was open, and we didnt encounter this on any of the remaining nights.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I have always understood Group Sites to be group sites meaning that they are available until all tent pads have been taken. The corollary is that a solo can't expect to occupy an entire group site. Then again I have never had an issue sharing a site or a group site.

This understanding would not assist in the situation described where you have a solo under the influence and a group of Boy Scouts.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Redbad wrote:I have always understood Group Sites to be group sites meaning that they are available until all tent pads have been taken. The corollary is that a solo can't expect to occupy an entire group site. Then again I have never had an issue sharing a site or a group site.
Just to clarify, http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/camping.htm is pretty clear:
"6 people or less" will camp at "Individual Campsites, First Come First Serve". On Isle Royale a "Group" has the very specific meaning of a party of 7-10 people, and the "Group Sites" are reserved for them. They are not only required to stick to their itinerary, but also must pay a fee, which smaller parties don't.

We once camped at a group site at Todd Harbor with 3 people, but only because we were in search of medical help, the only open individual site was the farthest from the dock, and the group sites did not fill up. When the rangers showed up in the morning they made it clear that in any other situation it would be unacceptable. As with most things on I.R., a little common sense and courtesy typically carries the day.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

So, where does a solo camp if all the shelters are taken at Malone Bay?
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

jrwiesz wrote:So, where does a solo camp if all the shelters are taken at Malone Bay?
I am not sure there is a specific rule, but common sense says that you would ask someone in a shelter or at a group site if you can share. My real gripe is with people who go to the group sites out of preference, rather than need. Also, I would hope we would all understand that with Scout groups, at least, adults have been given responsibility for the safety of someone else's kids. Having a stranger camp with a bunch of kids could be awkward or alarming, depending on the sensitivity of the kids or their parents.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I am not sure right now where I got this from, but I recall Malone sites listed as "Group / Individual Sites". Also, I have never seen a group at Malone.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
statsman4
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by statsman4 »

Last year we took an early May trip and checked with the ranger to find out if the group sites were reserved during the days we would be in camp. In this case, they were not so we stayed at one of the group sites in McCargo. Not sure if this is a well received approach but one way to minimize confusion. On the other hand, I have taken a scout crew to the island and I would have been very uncomfortable sharing a group site we reserved with someone we did not know.
Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Nym90 »

Also, what if a solo camper or group of 6 or fewer would prefer to tent rather than use a shelter at Malone Bay? Some may wish to choose the rustic nature of sleeping in a tent even if a shelter is available, and pitching a tent outside a shelter is prohibited per the NPS. It would make sense that at least in the case of Malone Bay an exception would be made to the standard rules, given the lack of individual sites.

I think statsman's approach is the best one. Communicate your intention to the Rangers, and get clearance to use the group sites.