Rock Harbor to Windigo the Long Way

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Stile
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Rock Harbor to Windigo the Long Way

Post by Stile »

I brought this over from the trip report forum thinking this would be more appropriate. Original post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2679&start=15#p19079
Midwest Ed wrote:Hello Stile and welcome,
What a great trip. I've done almost the exact route but in reverse. I would suggest you consider on day 3 continuing to Chickenbone West, skipping CB East. The east campground is probably at the bottom of the favorites list, primarily due to the fact that it's a decent downhill hike for water. The 2nd suggestion would be to route on day 4 from Chickenbone West to Todd Harbor via MaCargoe Cove. That section of the Minong Ridge is the easiest of all the Minong, quite easy overall. But maybe you're planning on extra fishing at Chickbone. You'll almost certainly catch some Northerns.
Thank you for the welcome. I think I like your suggestions.

This is my second time to the island. The first was a pretty much straight run down the Greenstone two years ago. This trip is a bit more wandering around the island. I wanted to get to McCargoe and the Minong mine so that's where the Chickenbone -> Chickebone thing came from. I guess I was stuck on the idea that we weren't doing the Minong this trip. I totally missed the Todd Harbor option. It's not really any real want to spend 2 nights on that lake.

Bottom line, thank you for the suggestion. I think we will take it.
irhikers
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 25

Re: Rock Harbor to Windigo the Long Way

Post by irhikers »

Stile:
My neighbor and I did a trip very close to what you described in July and it was very enjoyable where we got to hike and see the island from end-to-end and side to side (I said we were criss-crossing down the island) and also had time to relax along the way. We varied from your itinerary in that we went to McCargoe instead of West Chickenbone (which would give you the afternoon to explore the mine) and then we combined the leg from Todd to Lake Desor south into one day so we could fit the trip into the 8 nights we had to spend on the island. We came from Grand Portage so we left from Windigo. Our itinerary included:
Rock Harbor to Lane Cove 6.9mi
Lane Cove to Daisy Farm 7.2mi
Daisy Farm to McCargoe 8.0mi
McCargoe to Todd Harbor 6.6mi
Todd Harbor to Lake Desor South 11.6 mi
Lake Desor south to Siskiwit Bay 10mi
Siskiwit Bay to Feldtmann Lake 10.2mi
Feldtmann Lake to Washington Creek 8.8mi.
Stile
NewbieCake

Post by Stile »

OK, I'm beginning to see a lack of love for Chickenbone here. :-)

Seriously, McCargoe makes for an interesting addition as well. My last trip was 3-mile->Moskey Basin->Chickenbone West->Hatchet->Desor South->Island Mine->Washington Creek. We saw McCargoe from the Voyager II on the way back. A night there would let us explore the mine and we get a night in a place we have not been. It evens out the mileage as well.

We have the time so a night at Hatchet gives a little time to do whatever and take it easy for a day.

I think we need to stop for lunch at Chickenbone east. I need to see it for myself. I'm stubborn like that. While we were in Moskey Basin on our last trip people were talking bad about Chickenbone West. There was mention of leeches and terrible water. None of us got leeches from the rocky bottom and I have had more tannin in a glass of red wine.

Thank you for the suggestions.....I thought I had a plan in place before I started posting here. :-)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Stile wrote:Thank you for the suggestions.....I thought I had a plan in place before I started posting here. :-)
Is that a BAD thing or a GOOD thing?

Fortunately, whatever you end up deciding on for that section of the island will be adaptable...the area around McCargoe/Chickenbone isn't too tough to hike so even if you mis-plan some, you'll be OK to get to another destination in time. I think a lot of the suggestions you've received are just to optimize your time on the island to hit all the undeniably beautiful spots.

Personally, McCargoe is up top for me. It gets busy, yes...but the wildlife, fishing, oft-viewable Northern Lights, and the location to the mine and ridge make it a great spot. I also love Chickenbone, as it was my first "remote camping experience" on Isle Royale with my now-wife back in The Day. Yes, there's lots of bugs and leeches in the lake, but the serene beauty, incredible fishing and wildlife (noticing a theme here?) give it a special place in my heart.

Chickenbone East and Hatchet Lake live up to their "meh" status that everyone gives them on the forums. Hatchet has a death slog up or down a huge hill (depending on what way you go to it) to access it. And once you get up or down that hill, you still have another .5 miles to hike on a dead-ended spur trail to the camp. The camp is equivalent to a State Park campground. There's no fish in Hatchet Lake, also. Nor have I ever seen wildlife there (except squirrels). Chickenbone East is a scratch of dirt along the trail that is completely unremarkable. I've never stayed there, but have hiked through it a few times to ensure I wasn't missing something. I was not.

Again, you'll love your trip regardless of where you go on IR in that section of the island. Please come back and share a trip report so I can live vicariously through you!
Stile
NewbieCake

Post by Stile »

fonixmunkee wrote:Is that a BAD thing or a GOOD thing?
It's a GOOD thing. I do appreciate the suggestions.

I remember that hike into / out of Hatchet. It definitely got the blood pumping on the way out in the morning.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Spending one night or or even several nights at only Chickenbone East campground would be HIGHLY preferable to spending that time anywhere not on The Island within that 464.15 mile radius of my house.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Stile
NewbieCake

Post by Stile »

Midwest Ed wrote:Spending one night or or even several nights at only Chickenbone East campground would be HIGHLY preferable to spending that time anywhere not on The Island within that 464.15 mile radius of my house.
Agreed. I spend my life buried in technology. My wife and I like to find places that remove us from that. Cell phone coverage on vacation is a definite black mark. Our idea of a good vacation is a state/national forest with maybe an outhouse and/or hand pump for amenities.

Two years ago my Father, Brother and I spent 9 days on The Island hiking the Greenstone. Mind you, my Dad was 76 at the time. This was a trip that we had talked about for years. It got to the point that if we didn't do it we wouldn't be able to. We had a great time.

My wife, on the other hand, was not happy she was not going. This year's trip is to appease her. If I have my way this will not be the last trip.