Isle Royale Canoe Route for Our First Visit

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Naplespap
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Isle Royale Canoe Route for Our First Visit

Post by Naplespap »

A friend and I are making our first visit to Isle Royale next week and this is the route we came up with after going through all the posts. Please let us know if you have any concerns or recommendations.

Day 1 (Sat): Arrive Saturday at Rock Harbor and camp
Day 2 (Sun): Canoe to Moskey Basin and camp there for the night
Day 3 (Mon): Portage to lake Richie, then to Intermediate and Siskiwit, stay the night at Wood Lake
Day 4 (Tues): Portage to Chickenbone west and camp
Day 5 (Wed): Canoe to Belle isle and camp there
Day 6 (Thurs): Canoe to Dunkin Bay and camp
Day 7 (Fri): Back to Rock Harbor

Day 8 (Sat): extra day in case of weather
Day 9 (Sun): extra day in case of weather but need to be at Rock Harbor by 2pm

Go Packers!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Isle Royale Canoe Route for Our First Visit

Post by Ingo »

Most of it sounds pretty reasonable if you're experienced and in good shape.

The only thing I personally would change is to stay at Lake Richie instead of Wood Lake. Day 3 sounds brutal to me, starting off with the 2+ mile portage--I consider that a good day's work by itself. Day 4 would also be a long day, at least for me. The Richie canoe campground is very nice, and you probably won't see much better northern fishing (you will be fishing, right? :)) If you do forego Wood Lake, then I'd go on to McCargoe instead of Chickenbone--I like Chickenbone, but McCargoe more. And definitely fish Chickenbone along the way.

You've probably already read this, but do be extra cautious on the stretch from Birch Island to Pickeral Cove. There's no shelter from the big lake for about a 2 mile stretch. Layover at Birch Island if it's at all questionable.

Have a great trip! I'm jealous, having missed an I.R. trip this year.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Naplespap
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Naplespap »

Thank you! Good suggestions, we will stay at Lake Richie and McCargoe instead. And yes, we are planning on fishing. Any suggestions on the fishing? I'm assuming cast along the shores or any weedy areas for the northern.
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

With the target lakes you have noted, another option is available. Because of your open water route on the North side, I am assuming you have proper respect
for the Big Lake in regards to canoeing......so......

Day 1 (Sat): Arrive Saturday at Rock Harbor and get outta dodge to Caribou Island or distance to Chippewa Harbor
Day 2 (Sun): Portage to Whittlesey Lake and camp there for the night (Walleye/Northern fishing)
Day 3 (Mon): Portage to Wood Lake/Siskiwit and then to Intermediate and then to Richie and camp (Northern fishing)
Day 4 (Tues): Portage to Chickenbone west and camp (Walleye/Northern fishing)
Day 5 (Wed): Canoe to Belle isle and camp there (Lake Trout Superior waters - Michigan license required)
Day 6 (Thurs): Canoe to Dunkin Bay and camp (Lake Trout Superior waters - Michigan license required)
Day 7 (Fri): Merritt Lane

Day 8 (Sat): Back to Rock Harbor or extra day in case of weather
Day 9 (Sun): extra day in case of weather but need to be at Rock Harbor by 2pm

Either way, fun trip. You will see more water on this route, trade off is no Moskey Lake, but less portaging.