Itinerary Question

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

gcloud
NewbieCake

Itinerary Question

Post by gcloud »

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide between two similar itineraries and thought some might have some advice. First one involves Washington Creek, second one involves Island Mine instead (only days 3 and 4 are different), with option to stay an extra day at H. Cove or instead hike to W. Creek for my last night. This trip is Sept 26 - Oct 1.
- Option #1 -
Day 1 - 8.8 miles - (arrive at Windigo) Windigo to Feldtman Lake
Day 2 - 10.3 miles - Feldtman Lake to Siskiwit Bay
Day 3 - 11 miles - Siskiwit Bay to Washington Creek
Day 4 - 5.1 miles - Washington Creek to Huginnin Cove
Day 5 - 0 miles - Rest Day, Hang out and explore around H. Cove (or just hike to Washington Creek if I preferred a shelter)
Day 6 - 4.3 miles - Huginnin Cove to Windigo, board Voyageur II at 12:15 pm central time to leave the Isle

-- or --
- Option #2 -
Day 1 - 8.8 miles - (arrive at Windigo) Windigo to Feldtman Lake
Day 2 - 10.3 miles - Feldtman Lake to Siskiwit Bay
Day 3 - 4.3 miles - Siskiwit Bay to Island Mine
Day 4 - 10.2 miles - Island Mine to Huginnin Cove
Day 5 - 0 miles - Rest Day, Hang out and explore around H. Cove (or just hike to Washington Creek if I preferred a shelter)
Day 6 - 4.3 miles - Huginnin Cove to Windigo, board Voyageur II at 12:15 pm central time to leave the Isle

Pros of option 1 - get the 3 longest hikes out of the way for a more relaxed end of the trip. Also Washington Creek has more amenities like a shelter, water, outhouse, conversation. Always camping near an inland lake or lake superior.

Pros of option 2 - get an easier hike on day 3 if I'm tired after the first two days. Island Mine campground allows fires and more isolation. I like the idea of staying deep in the woods for a different experience than coastal/water campsites. Also, since this will be late september the fall colors will be blossoming in these maple trees I hear.

Unrelated factoid: the night of Sunday, September 27th there will be a TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE totally visible on Isle Royal, weather permitting. This is on the night of a full moon as well. I didn't plan this in my trip but I'm so glad it's happening! Maybe some wolves will howl.

Unrelated question: should I bother with bug spray or a headnet this late in the year? Thanks everyone.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Itinerary Question

Post by Ingo »

I like option 2. Heck you can find shelter, water, outhouses, and conversation any day ;). But it doesn't really matter, since you can decide when you get there. Thinking a headnet would be overkill, but don't know if I'd ever go into the woods without at least a little DEET (or Picaridin as I've come to use more)--but doubt you'll need it.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
ME4E
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: Itinerary Question

Post by ME4E »

Here are my 2 cents. I was on most of your route mid August and the first 2 days you might be bushwhacking. The trails were so over grown between Windigo & Siskiwit - like over our 6' heads. We were so happy to get on the Greenstone. Trees were already changing color too! Both options are good, but conditions might make the choice for you. Due to weather we changed our route several times (12 day trip). Hope you enjoy your trip.