East Feldtman Lake Trail

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

East Feldtman Lake Trail

Post by johnhens »

I ordered a custom topo of the West end of IR. In the past some have inquired about the former East Feldtman trail. The topo came with the East Feldtman trail on it.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: East Feldtman Lake Trail

Post by Tightlines01 »

Very interesting. Pictures?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

John, Have ever checked out this online mapping resource? It offers up a whole bunch of different options of topo and satellite overlays, and has a user interface similar to Google maps.

This link shows an East Feldtman Trail.

Is it the the same one?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I had not, nice map and site. Thanks for putting the map up, looks just like the one I got. It is the same map. Like the ability to locate lat/long points.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

It's great how it covers the much of the world, allows you to switch from one mapping resource to another and automatically switches map resolution based on zoom factor. Somebody other than Google spent a lot of time on that. I can't remember how I found it.

Mapping Support

His Home Page
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

That looks like it would be some wet, sloppy bushwhacking coming off the ridge as you went north.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Today it would be wet. Back in the day there were very long boardwalks. I'm guessing their maintenance was most of the reason the trail was moved.
jemerick
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by jemerick »

This topo also shows an alternate route for the west trail, skipping the overlook and crossing Grace Creek above the open pond. Interesting that where the paths would diverge, coming up from Washington Harbor and then over close to Middle Point, seemed to have no obvious options when you're out there. Makes you wonder how long it takes an old trail to disappear.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

jemerick wrote:.......Makes you wonder how long it takes an old trail to disappear.
If moose, and other wildlife, continue to use them, parts of a closed trail may stay visible for a long time.

Many years back, they moved the campground on Lake Whittlesey from the eastern side of the lake about a mile to the west. 10+ years after the move, you could still see the old campsite, if you knew where to look.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Midwest Ed wrote:Today it would be wet. Back in the day there were very long boardwalks. I'm guessing their maintenance was most of the reason the trail was moved.
Makes total sense to me, Ed. Given that they talk about keeping Malone Bay geared more towards paddlers, I wonder if they'll eventually decide not to repair all that boardwalk between Ishpeming and Siskiwit. That's gotta be a real treat to haul all of that lumber in from the dock on Malone.
jemerick
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by jemerick »

hooky wrote:...wonder if they'll eventually decide not to repair all that boardwalk between Ishpeming and Siskiwit. That's gotta be a real treat to haul all of that lumber in from the dock on Malone.
Speaking of, was surprised to see how good of shape that boardwalk was this year. Hiked it the first part of September and a large section of the trail on that western inlet, the bridge and swamp around it, was all brand new. Brush was pushed back, side-by-side boards, etc. Easily the nicest 'walk I found on the whole island. Also, there were stacks of boards and posts nearby, as if they are going to upgrade more sections in the coming months. Seems weird, given the remote nature of that site and long hiking haul and focus on boaters, but maybe they want to keep that trail in good condition as an alternate starting point for some hikers.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

That must be from this year then. I don't remember seeing any of the boards or posts stacked last fall.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Here is a photo of the stack at the SW corner of Siskiwit in late July. There was also a pretty good cache of boards at the portage/camp on the Siskiwit side. I can imagine hauling these things... We wondered if they used a canoe or another boat for at least the couple miles down the lake. I'd say there is a strong commitment to this trail section for a while. :wink:
IMG_8206.jpg
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Strong Commitment = Strong Backs
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

I found my circa 1987 Isle Royale Topo map from my first trip to the island. Here is a snap of the East Feldtman Lake trail:
East Feldtman Lake Trail.jpg