Itinerary Suggestions

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

DEHiker
NewbieCake

Itinerary Suggestions

Post by DEHiker »

This site has been a wealth of info and I've been scouring over as much as I can. Since there is so much experience and information found here, I was hoping for some suggestions on some good ideas for trips.

A little background. This trip is planned for next year just after Labor Day due to being a birthday celebration trip and due my work not allowing me to I get a prime summer vacation. The Rangers recommended arriving no later than the weekend after Labor Day due to everything closing for the season. I have limited backpacking experience, but have some current military survival training for the outdoors, so I am comfortable hiking and being isolated. I've been doing some more backpacking over the past year and acquiring proper gear (along with some good ideas from these forums for specific IR items). My hiking compadre (my BNL) has a vast "camping" experience, but also limited backpacking.

We will be traveling from the LP so it looks like Houghton will be the port we will be using. We have a solid week to make plans work and would like at least 5 days on the island. Since it is a celebration we did talk about taking the seaplane one way to make it special (I'm a pilot also, so I get that benefit as well!), but funds are not limitless.

What are some suggestions to get a good experience without doing a "death march" to get it all in? I think we both want to keep moving each day, so a different location each night would be preferable, but we are open to finding the best experience. The idea of 7 miles a day is doable. I'm still going over everything on this site, but I might overlook some good advice.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Post by Tightlines01 »

Options are plenty from Houghton....

Sea plane will drop you at either end of the island, but the west side trnds to have some days longer than 7 miles you mentioned. You could cross the island in 5 days or do a loop on either side (Windigo or Rock Harbor)....

Ranger III will take you to Rock Harbor, you'd need to do a loop hike to use Ranger III for transport. There are lots of options for loops starting and ending in Rock Harbor.

You also couldvdrive another hour to Copper Harbor and take the Queen IV. Same thing loop hike from Rock Harbor but the queen has more better times to sail.

It sounds like you'll have an adventure no matter which option you decide. Basically I'd start with deciding if you want to loop hike (and which side) vs trying to cross the island. That will help you start making decisions. After that you can decide on the where. You've got plenty of time to make reservations...

A couple things that may help you decide...
Purchase the trails illistrated map. You'll want it anyway. You can get it online. It'll show you the trails, mileages and topo lines....
Figure out what your definate max mileage you want is. When planning routes it will help you decide on which side.
I usually feel like that 33/100 people will be on the western side of the island and 67/100 will be on the east side at any one time. As I get past MCCargoe or Hatchet the people rise fall dramatically.

Enjoy your trip, you'll love it no matter what.
DEHiker
NewbieCake

Post by DEHiker »

Thank you for the reply! That is the kind of start and info I'm looking for. The problem I've been facing is that there are SO many options. I know this trip will be EPIC!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

There are many great campsites located on the East end of the island. 3-Mile, Daisy Farm, Lane Cove, Moskey Basin, Lake Ritchie, W. Chickenbone. All are within the Rock Harbor area without any death marches. If you take a plane, your options explode.

Like Tightlines mentioned, get the Trails Illustrated Map. I have used mine on all my trips and it's still in great condition. (it's plastic coated) They are available at REI. Keep exploring this website. There are lots of reports of camps and trails to help in your planning.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

It sounds like you have the right approach to your trip.

My preference is the west end of the island, usually coming from Grand Portage, MN. A lot of great options from there. Look at the map and trip reports about the Feldtman Loop and tack on Hugginin. You could also take the same ferry around the north side to McCargo and go to Todd Harbor, S. Desor and back to Windigo (maybe via the Feldtman, depending on your time). McCargo, Moskey and Chippewa (maybe adding Todd after McCargo) is a great trip. The same ferry (Voyager) could pick you up at Chippewa.

If you are going to the east end from Houghton, others on the forum know more than me, although I was just there at the same time as you are planning for next year. Consider the water taxi for starting out; it opens up some more options for you. I took it to Lookout Louise and then went to Lane Cove and back to Rock Harbor. If you go to the east end, leave a day at the end to do a day hike on the Stoll Trail. I was very impressed with that trail.

Enjoy your trip!
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

I'd suggest focusing on seeing as much as you can, even with covering some of the same trails twice. For example, I think the views from Todd/Little Todd are some of the best on the island. Who cares if you do an out-and-back from McCargoe? I'd find the sights that you want to see & go from there.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Hello DEHiker,

One suggestion of mine would be to purchase your map through this organization: http://irkpa.org/shop/maps-charts , if you have not already purchased one. The hiking/canoe package is a good deal, you get the map, book, and park checklist of birds, animals, etc. The book and map are great pre-trip planning tools. The IRKPA is a good, "friend of the park"; consider joining their ranks.

A forum member(Mike T) http://www.isleroyale.info/ has a web-site, and books, etc. That should be a great help in the planning, also.

A second consideration would be to spend your first night in Rock Harbor Camp; after your L-N-T session, and filing your decided upon itinerary, take a shelter and get acquainted with the area. Do an afternoon hike out Stoll trail with a light daypack to get your legs going. Most people want to get hiking and backpacking; many miss out on the wonders right before them. The same can be said of the west side main camp area, Windigo and Washington Creek Camp. There are many "day hike" opportunities in both areas. You get to hike everywhere, see everything, but don't go anywhere.

In my mind, base camping after Labor day offers the most hiking/viewing/exploring opportunities, unless you enjoy making and breaking camp.

The pre-planning can be fun, and you can have drawn up the best of intentions; just remember, on Isle Royale, the weather frequently determines your daily itinerary.

You have plenty of time, and all the possibilities might drive you batty; but the times I enjoyed/remember the best are those where I spent two or more days in one area exploring.

Isle Royale Rocks!
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
DEHiker
NewbieCake

Post by DEHiker »

Thanks for all the info. I've recieved the map and I can now see how useful it is. Now the real planning starts! I've been talking to the Rangers about ferry service post Labor Day along with Isle Royale Seaplanes (awesome company with great customer service!). The one common theme, everyone I've been in contact with has been extremely helpful and passionate about IR. I am starting to understand why it is so special to so many people.

I'll have more questions going forward, but I can't thank everyone enough that has contributed to this board with their information and insight. I can't wait to experience IR.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

One could spend an entire summer on The Island and still not “get it all in”. You are wise to recognize the perils of attempting to accomplish too much, too quickly. Early Autumn is, in my opinion, the absolute best time to visit. The days are mild almost never hot. The nights will be chilly and even sometimes a bit frosty but interestingly, the cold waters Lake Superior keep the nighttime air temperatures higher than expected. Take an extra warm sleeping bag or liner. The best part about the weather for me is. . . . no bugs, but I’d still carry a little bug dope just in case.

Another great benefit for travel after Labor Day is The Island can seem deserted. Visitation really thins out (although it’s never really high at its peak). The people that you’ll meet will be “extra serious” about enjoying their time and being respectful of yours. And since there are fewer of them, the nightly limitations of consecutive stays for all campgrounds is lifted. If your hiking mate gets in hike good condition and you both find the trekking easy going after the first day then keep after your reasonable goals, but know that you’ll be able to easily adjust your itinerary if you feel the need to slow down for whatever reason, be it smell the flowers or treat the blisters. There should still be plenty of the former and hopefully little of the latter (but take plenty of mole skin).

Since both the Ranger III out of Houghton and the Queen IV from Copper Harbor both only run twice a week after Labor Day, adding in the the Seaplane for just one leg will afford you your solid 5 days. I'd suggest you consider adding 2 more days to really open up some flexibility and range to an itinerary. As you're now aware, the concessions close shortly after Labor Day (typically the weekend after Monday but check with them). This means the stores and showers are closed and the water taxi is shutdown. Lastly whenever your scheduled return, don’t schedule any absolutely important attendance the day after your return. While unlikely, it’s not unheard of especially in the Fall, rough weather might keep you on The Island an extra day so pack an extra meal or two.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
DEHiker
NewbieCake

Post by DEHiker »

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I know it's been a little bit, but I've been following this site and rereading many older threads. I think we will be taking the seaplane both ways to accommodate the desire to hike from RH to Windigo. I've spoken to the Rangers (some of the most passionate and helpful I've ever encountered) about us arriving during the week after Labor Day. I know the island is pretty much closing up that weekend, but taking the seaplane we can't take fuel. Will the island still have fuel available, or do they deplete the stock towards the end? What are some options the make sure we have fuel? I have been considering a twig stove as a backup option, but didn't want to rely on it since I've never used one.

I may do a sanity check for an intinerary once we get it nailed down. We have a day that looks long, but we may need some practical advice on how doable it is. Thanks to everyone that keeps this site going. It has been extremely helpful.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

DeHiker,

The sea plane will pick-up/drop-off in Washington Harbor-Windigo(as well as Tobin Harbor), should you desire.

You can take the Ranger III initially to RH(with your fuel), and come back with fuel all used or given to other hiker/paddlers, before you fly into Houghton, as another option.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

In reference to fuel availability; when I went to the island via plane, I left my extra fuel canister with the ranger before flying back to the mainland. She explained they keep them for visitors who fly in after the store closes for the season. So check with the Rangers to verify this. Alternatively, you could arrange for the ferry to drop your fuel off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

DEHiker wrote:What are some options the make sure we have fuel?
Don't worry, there's a KwikTrip right in Rock Harbor...you can get fuel there. :lol: Haha, just kidding, of course. It was more of a not-funny joke at how many KwikTrip gas stations there are popping up in my hometown nowadays.

I'm sure if you talk to the sea plane operators, they have many suggestions on how to get fuel to/from the island. It isn't their first rodeo.

If you're taking the seaplane, you have a plethora of options for hiking. Like some other people, I have an affinity for the west side of the island...it's more remote and less-traveled. I hike in late spring, and I can go an entire five days without ever seeing ANYONE on the trail.

If you're doing five days on IR and want to take the seaplane to Windigo, the Feldtmann loop is a great first-timer hike. It's just challenging enough for beginner hikers to get the blood pumping, but there's nothing that will be over-the-top. You can start and stop in Windigo to catch the sea plane, and if you end up with extra time, there's lots of day trips or over-night options from Windigo before your plane arrives.

I've done the Feldtmann loop at least three times, and was in the area last spring doing some cross-country backpacking. The Rainbow Cove area and south shore are mesmerizing at sunset. Siskiwit Bay is one of the most peaceful campgrounds I've stayed in. And the fishing---from the shore!--at Lake Feldtmann is phenomenal. You'll see a moose here, too. I've never *not* seen a moose at Lake Feldtmann.

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do for your trip...half the fun on these forums is helping other plan an itinerary, and the other half is reading how amazing their trip was. We all look forward to your trip for you!