Favorite scenic view, spot, lookout

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MikeTokarz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Favorite scenic view, spot, lookout

Post by MikeTokarz »

I know the entire island is amazingly beautiful, but what are your favorite places? Anywhere on the island and surrounding islands. What are places you've come across on the trail or on the water where you just have to stop and take in the view? I am working on a personal photographic assignment for next summer that could see me on the island for up to three weeks, so anywhere at the park can be suggested.

Great views I'm already familiar with from my last trip include the "cliff" next to the Moskey dock, Otter Lake, and the viewpoint spur trail on the Greenstone between Mt Ojibway and East Chickenbone.

Like I said, anything that stopped you in your tracks or left you in awe of your surroundings. Photos are welcome too! Fire away!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Favorite scenic view, spot, lookout

Post by hooky »

I certainly haven't seen all the sites on the island but my favorite views to date are sunrise at Moskey and then sunset at rainbow cove. The view from the Ojibway fire tower is nice too.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Belle Isle. Especially sunrise.
1935542_1187420119596_4302135_n.jpg
Last edited by Ingo on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I enjoyed hiking east toward Lookout Louise on the Greenstone as the sun was coming up.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Mount Franklin will always be a favorite of mine. Also the reflective views off of Tobin Harbor and Lake Ritchie are very nice when the wind is gone and no ripples on the lake (usually first and last sun).
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

There is an overlook between Windigo and Feldtmann Lake that was exceptional beautiful. There is a high cliff on the trail from Feldtmann Lake to Siskiwit. There is also the view from Huginnin Cove, Little Todd and Todd Harbor. Heck, I even like the view from the porch outside the Windigo store.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

philranger wrote:There is an overlook between Windigo and Feldtmann Lake that was exceptional beautiful.
This one?

It's a huge view that little point and shoot camera couldn't get in all at once.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

philranger wrote:There is an overlook between Windigo and Feldtmann Lake that was exceptional beautiful.
Agreed, Grace Overlook, as it's known, is pretty rewarding. However, it does get it's share of being fogged in, and I do think it looks much better with lush greens than muted browns.
The 'reverse' view of Feldtman lake (from the cliff noted) is a bit harder to frame up, IMHO, but there is a great brook/waterfall in a stand of trees to the east of there that provides for some great shots.

What time of year? Primary landscapes? That might impact my choices; however for general "summer foliage" times, Otter Lake, as noted, is spectacular during the golden hour. The same is true as the Wood Lake campground; either directly from the bluffs at camp over the lake, or up the ridge to the SW.

Like you said, many great places to get photos.
"The amazing view from the Ishpeming Tower" would not be on my list... :wink:
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Sunsets from Mount Ojibway, although the walk "home" in the dark can be a little rough.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Year’s back, we kayak-camped at McCargoe Cove. The Mining Ridge trail starts/ends there. After finding a shelter and setting up camp, we took a walk west on the Minong toward Pine Mountain. Probably 1/4 - 1/2 mile west of the campground, you come upon a 40 - 50 foot rock ridge running immediately adjacent to the trail along the north side. Being curious, we climbed the ridge. Once on top, we were greeted to a spectacular vista of the NE part of the Island, Lake Superior, and the Sleeping Giant. Just incredible. And because it’s off-trail, nobody ever goes there. Every evening, after dinner, we walked to the top of that ridge just to take in the view. If you ever camp at McCargoe, try and find this ridge. Climb it. You won’t be disappointed.
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

Agreed, Grace Overlook, as it's known, is pretty rewarding. However, it does get it's share of being fogged in, and I do think it looks much better with lush greens than muted browns.
The 'reverse' view of Feldtman lake (from the cliff noted) is a bit harder to frame up, IMHO, but there is a great brook/waterfall in a stand of trees to the east of there that provides for some great shots.
Thanks a ton for the info, Tom. I'm going to assume Grace Overlook is the name of the one between Windigo and Feldtmann? I've seen some other really cool shots of the birch or aspen trees along the Feldtmann Loop in the past.
What time of year? Primary landscapes? That might impact my choices; however for general "summer foliage" times, Otter Lake, as noted, is spectacular during the golden hour. The same is true as the Wood Lake campground; either directly from the bluffs at camp over the lake, or up the ridge to the SW.
My desirable time to go would be May or June because of the mild temps and lack of bugs when we went last year. I'll be shooting almost exclusively landscapes and nightscapes as well as my general experiences on the island. I hope to finish with a "Mile Mile & a Half" type video with a 4K time-lapse to go with it. Obviously all the camera equipment will be a lot to handle, but from last year's experience a 60lb pack is worth the photos that come from lugging it around. I'm applying for the artist in residence program which, if I'm accepted, would make the project much easier to accomplish. so I'm really hoping for that. Here's a short time lapse I shot this past summer over 8 days on the island: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_O0N0-u2NE
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

Sunsets from Mount Ojibway, although the walk "home" in the dark can be a little rough.
Anyone have experiences watching the sunrise from Ojibway? I was thinking of leaving Daisy around 4am and getting some Milky Way and sunrise shots from there too.
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

Probably 1/4 - 1/2 mile west of the campground, you come upon a 40 - 50 foot rock ridge running immediately adjacent to the trail along the north side.
I'm not sure I remember that ridge. Was it before or after the mines? We were moving pretty quick on the way back from Otter Lake so I'm not surprised I missed it. How far off the trail? These are the kind of spots I'd especially love to capture since they're seen so little.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

MikeTokarz wrote:I'm going to assume Grace Overlook is the name of the one between Windigo and Feldtmann?
Correct. It's about 2.5-3 mi outside of Windigo on the Feldtmann trail. The segment between there and Windigo also provides for some pretty awesome "mist between the spruce and birch" shots of the footpath, too. Especially it seems in May and June.
MikeTokarz wrote:I'm not sure I remember that ridge. Was it before or after the mines?
I think Treeplanter and I have visited the same ridge; it's not quite half way between the mine and the camp, if memory serves. You'll somewhat get to a clearing/opening and see the Minong is following along the lower portion of the ridge. You can climb up. I'm pretty sure you can also get to this same ridge by veering NE from the mine marker sign, following the ridge line. However, I think there are a couple of places where it's a bit up and down and hauling gear might be a pain.

As far as sunrise from Mt. Ojibway, I'm not sure the sunrise would be very photogenic in May or June. For one, the view down the NE spine isn't THAT amazing, and the sun would be rising that time of year around the 55 degree mark, so somewhat down the spine. Even if it were more easterly, I just don't recall much in the line of anything to frame the shot, other than "sun over water." However, to be perfectly honest, maybe a great shot could be had... I just haven't explored it much.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't compare to Moskey :) , or Senter Point. (Which, btw, has one of perhaps the best sand beaches to capture "wolf/moose/hiker prints on sand" with a low sun angle.)

For nightscapes/astrophotography, I really like Chippewa. Some neat images using the harbor or hillside in the frame can be accomplished, both right from the shelters or the dock. Siskiwit Bay and Malone (Siskiwit lake side) are also good locations to capture the "ridge" in the frame for night shots, as well.
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

I think Treeplanter and I have visited the same ridge; it's not quite half way between the mine and the camp, if memory serves. You'll somewhat get to a clearing/opening and see the Minong is following along the lower portion of the ridge. You can climb up. I'm pretty sure you can also get to this same ridge by veering NE from the mine marker sign, following the ridge line. However, I think there are a couple of places where it's a bit up and down and hauling gear might be a pain.

As far as sunrise from Mt. Ojibway, I'm not sure the sunrise would be very photogenic in May or June. For one, the view down the NE spine isn't THAT amazing, and the sun would be rising that time of year around the 55 degree mark, so somewhat down the spine. Even if it were more easterly, I just don't recall much in the line of anything to frame the shot, other than "sun over water." However, to be perfectly honest, maybe a great shot could be had... I just haven't explored it much.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't compare to Moskey :) , or Senter Point. (Which, btw, has one of perhaps the best sand beaches to capture "wolf/moose/hiker prints on sand" with a low sun angle.)

For nightscapes/astrophotography, I really like Chippewa. Some neat images using the harbor or hillside in the frame can be accomplished, both right from the shelters or the dock. Siskiwit Bay and Malone (Siskiwit lake side) are also good locations to capture the "ridge" in the frame for night shots, as well.
Awesome. Thanks a lot for the tips, Tom!