Dream Trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MikeTokarz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Dream Trip

Post by MikeTokarz »

I might get the chance to have three weeks off this summer to spend on the island. Three whole weeks! I figure if I'm going to spend that much time on the island it would make sense to see as much as possible, so here's my (ambitious) dream trip plan:
First Part - by land
1. Houghton to Rock Harbor, day trip to Scoville to get the legs working
2. Voyageur to Malone
3. Malone to Desor South
4. Desor South to Siskiwit bay
5. Siskiwit to Feldtmann
6. Feldtmann to Washington Creek, resupply at Windigo
7. Windigo to Desor North
8. Desor North to Little Todd
9. Little Todd to Todd
10. Todd to McCargoe or Chickenbone West - I like the community fire ring at McCargoe, had a great time meeting new people there last time, but I like the campgrounds at Chickenbone West more
11. McCargoe/Chickenbone to Moskey
12. Moskey to Daisy
13. Daisy to Rock Harbor - thinking about leaving Daisy in the middle of the night and headlamp up to Mt. Ojibway to see the Milky Way and the sunrise
14. Rest/shower/resupply/call home at Rock Harbor

Second part - by water
15. Rock Harbor to Merritt Lane
16. Merritt Lane to Duncan Bay - I know going around Blake Point can be dangerous, but if I get up early enough I should get calm waters and a short trip around it right?
17. Duncan Bay to Belle Isle
18. Belle Isle to Lane Cove
19. Lane Cove to Duncan Narrows or Portage to Tobin Harbor
20. To Rock Harbor if I'm not there yet
21. Wish I could stay a few more days

Ambitious? Yeah. Doable? Probably. It's around 10 miles per day by foot and I know I can manage that. My first trip was mostly leisurely at 4-6 miles per day but once my legs got adjusted I felt like I could cover much more. That was the thought process in doing the Feldtmann loop before starting the Minong.
I've never canoed in Lake Superior before so I'm a little iffy on that, but I have canoed the Sturgeon River in the Lower Peninsula without much issue so I don't imagine there will be much I can't handle. Most of the planned route is in relatively sheltered waters too. The portage from Tobin to Duncan Bay, is there a side to start on that's easier?

Any suggestions and critiques are more than welcome!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Dream Trip

Post by hooky »

I have no tips or feedback at this point. I'm just gob smacked at the prospect of 3 weeks straight on the island. When I come to and get my jaw back in place, I'll revisit and give you my free and likely off base opinions.

I'm green with envy.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'd probably go by water from Houghton to Rock Harbor, but if you can do it via land, more power to you. :roll:

Sounds like an envious trip. The land portion is doable; be sure to spend a night in Malone. While the boat will drop you off early enough in the day to easily make it up (or should I say UP) to Desor South, Malone has plenty to enjoy and deserves a night.
If it doesn't get cleared by a maintenance crew this year, the Feldtmann loop is getting a bit tight in places, but you'll be fine.

As for the water, to confirm, are you planning on bringing a canoe, and storing at RH? (I note this because I'm not sure the lodge rents canoes for anything more than a day-tour/don't leave the local harbors type thing.)

If the weather is right, you have a shot. I'd still put caution out there about Blake Point, though. Many bad things have happened when folks make presumptions about Lake Superior. A canoe, and solo, to boot, puts me on edge.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

16. Merritt Lane to Duncan Bay - I know going around Blake Point can be dangerous, but if I get up early enough I should get calm waters and a short trip around it right?
Um, it's conventional wisdom that winds will be calmer in the a.m., but it's nothing you can rely on. And remember that conditions can drastically change as you go around the point. Like Tom said make no assumptions, and be willing to wait it out or head for the portage. If you have a good weather window, skip Merritt Lane and go around the night before.
The portage from Tobin to Duncan Bay, is there a side to start on that's easier?
Not really IMO. It's significantly steeper on the Duncan side, but a lot shorter. I consider the ridge the 1/2 way point regardless of direction and take a break there. My method is to to make 2 trips and carry everything to the top, then 2 trips down.

Also, make sure you have a good long line on the canoe to tie it off, especially since you'll be alone. Loading/unloading a canoe on the Duncan Bay side is rocky and steep and a little challenging even with two.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

What a trip!

Curious about your resupply at Windigo for the upcoming seven backpacking nights. Purchase at Windigo store or Voyager Post?
Fishing Plans?
And I just want to twist your arm on going a little further west from Five Fingers as Pickerel Cover and Birch Island are also possibilities.
Ingo wrote:
Um, it's conventional wisdom that winds will be calmer in the a.m., but it's nothing you can rely on. And remember that conditions can drastically change as you go around the point. Like Tom said make no assumptions, and be willing to wait it out or head for the portage. If you have a good weather window, skip Merritt Lane and go around the night before.
Agree, the sooner around Blake Point the less nerves, but if Superior is cooperating Merritt Lane is a "Choice" site in my opinion. Maybe arrange schedule so Merritt Lane
is on return trip night before Rock Harbor.
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

I'm green with envy.
I know how you feel, Hooky. When I got news that this could possibly happen I became giddy with happiness. Been trying to find the best route to see everything for months.
I'd probably go by water from Houghton to Rock Harbor, but if you can do it via land, more power to you. :roll:
If I run fast enough I should be able to make it right?
As for the water, to confirm, are you planning on bringing a canoe, and storing at RH?
The plan was to rent a canoe. I was under the impression that you could rent for multiple days but now that I think about it I don't recall reading anything about the time limit. Looks like I'll need some clarification here. Might have to beg a family member to join me with a boat when I get to RH.
I'd still put caution out there about Blake Point, though. Many bad things have happened when folks make presumptions about Lake Superior. A canoe, and solo, to boot, puts me on edge.
Do you think the Siskiwit loop would be a better option? Caribou -> Ritchie -> Wood -> Chippewa -> Caribou -> Tookers? Is Chippewa to Caribou via Superior a safe option? Don't know much about that stretch.
Curious about your resupply at Windigo for the upcoming seven backpacking nights. Purchase at Windigo store or Voyager Post? Fishing Plans?
Food drop from the Voyageur. I haven't decided on fishing. Photography is going to be a big time consumer for me. I don't know if I'll have time for it.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Do you think the Siskiwit loop would be a better option? Caribou -> Ritchie -> Wood -> Chippewa -> Caribou -> Tookers? Is Chippewa to Caribou via Superior a safe option? Don't know much about that stretch.
I like the original plan, just be prepared to do the portage twice if you need to. Personally I'd do that rather than the Moskey/Richie portage. And I could probably live on Belle Isle :), love that area.

There's no way I'd consider solo canoeing from Caribou to Chippewa, simply because of the distance, time, and how quickly I know conditions can change. Although the shore is not cliffs like the Palisades around Blake, it's still very rocky and not many places to beach when any kind of wave action.

As for the canoe, when I worked there and rented boats and canoes, we would size up folks and the rules would be adjusted accordingly. Now that was a few years ago (ok, decades), but it doesn't seem like that has changed much. I have seen lodge canoes at Chippewa and on the Duncan Bay side more recently, but apparently others have been told no. Capt Don of the Voyageur II also rents canoes, so I'd talk to them too.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

Capt Don of the Voyageur II also rents canoes, so I'd talk to them too.
Just checked the Voyageur II website. Canoe rentals are $175 for a week so that's an option. http://www.grand-isle-royale.com/rates.asp
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

With 3 weeks available I would like to make a different type of suggestion for you to consider. You can use the Voyageur II to get you and your canoe positioned strategically, especially to get you safely around Blake Point with no arduous portage. From southern Michigan the car trip to Grand Portage and the Voyageur II home port is only an extra 5 hours or less.

This itinerary switches back and forth between hiking and paddling rather than having 2 distinct legs. Some of the hikes can be day hikes with a smaller day pack. It covers most all the trails you listed, missing South Desor, plus adds many more paddling ventures. All the portages are fairly easy with one exception being the Moskey/Ritchie one. It is still not difficult, just long at 2 miles.

The various sections can easily be shortened or lengthened and additional day hiking added but the Voyageur II schedule must be observed. All pick ups and drop offs must be prearranged with the Voyageur. They do not stop anywhere except Windigo and Rock Harbor without a reservation. And even if you do "catch" them there may not be room available, especially with a canoe. I think the schedule shown below works best if you begin on a Wednesday. It's just an example with the point of showing how adding the Voyageur can expand your possibilities. I think the additional cost is worth it to make a dream trip be realized.

I've found that on very clear nights with no clouds to the north, the light pollution from Thunder Bay can make southern sky viewing better from the southern side of the ridge.

# Camp Ground....................Via (notes)
0 Grand Portage...................Rent Canoe
1 McCargoe Cove..................Voyageur II (Mon-Wed-Sat) - stash canoe
1 West Chickenbone...............foot
2 Todd Harbor.....................foot
3 Birch Island/Pickerel Cove.....get canoe at McCargoe Cove, paddle
4 Lane Cove.......................paddle
5 Duncan Bay......................paddle - short day hike to Lookout Louise via portage trail
6 Duncan Narrows................paddle
7 Belle Isle........................paddle -
8 Rock Harbor....................Voyageur II (Mon-Wed-Sat) - resupply option
8 Tooker's Island/Caribou Island ...or stay at Rock Harbor one night
9 Daisy Farm......................stash canoe - day hike - Ojibway, Mt Franklin, 3 Mile loop
10 Moskey Basin....................paddle - side stop at Edison Fishery, Rock Harbor Lighthouse and Bangsund Cabin (Rolf and Candy Peterson's summer home and headquarters)
11 Lake Ritchie Canoe CG........portage/paddle
12 Wood Lake/Malone Bay........portage/paddle Intermediate Lake
13 Chippewa Harbor...............portage/paddle Wood Lake, Lake Whittlesey
14 Malone Bay......................Voyageur II (Tue-Thu-Sun) - return canoe, resupply option
15 Hatchet Lake...................foot
16 Little Todd Harbor.............foot
17 North Lake Desor...............foot
18 Washington Creek..............foot - resupply option
19 Feldtman Lake.................foot
20 Siskiwit Bat.....................foot
21 Washington Creek.............foot
22 Grand Portage.................Voyageur II/Sea Hunter (Any day but Monday during peek season)
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

Wow that sure does cover a ton of the island, Ed. That would definitely be a lot easier not having to carry so much food everywhere. Only thing that jumps out to me about it is that a lot of the trip depends on making it to specific points by a certain time, like meeting the voyageur at Belle Isle mid trip. Not a ton of leeway should the skies get stormy. Also, stashing the canoe on the Voyageur, is there an extra charge for each time they go around with the canoe or is it just renting the canoe and paying for the transportation once? that seems like it would add up really quick.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

MikeTokarz wrote:Only thing that jumps out to me about it is that a lot of the trip depends on making it to specific points by a certain time, like meeting the voyageur at Belle Isle mid trip. Not a ton of leeway should the skies get stormy.
The Voyageur II can be delayed but it does not happen often. When it does happen it is usually late in the season. If they are delayed the park rangers and staff do a pretty good job keeping people informed. but you will need to stay close by for when they do show up. So your schedule might get thrown off by a day or even two. This is why it's always good to build in a "zero" day or two. I think the one I laid out has quite bit of flexibility built in. The one thing you can always count on is that something will not go as planned.
MikeTokarz wrote:Also, stashing the canoe on the Voyageur, is there an extra charge for each time they go around with the canoe or is it just renting the canoe and paying for the transportation once? that seems like it would add up really quick.
I meant you would stash the canoe at the campground. You have zero worries someone will steal it. You could padlock it to a tree with a bicycle cable setup to discourage the potential of some younger people taking a "joy ride". You'd need to check with Captain Don about them doing something as I suggested where they drop you off at Malone but keep the canoe. Especially If you are renting from them I can't imagine it being a problem.

In my example itinerary there would be a second charge for them to pick you up at Chippewa Harbor and then drop you off at Malone Bay. The way the Voyageur II schedule is laid out is they leave Grand Portage, MN, stop at Windigo and then continue up the north side to Rock Harbor marina. They spend the night and then the next day they return to Grand Portage, travelling along the south side, always stopping at Windigo a second time on their way home. There are also campgrounds that can be scheduled for optional drop offs and pickups along both the north and south sides. Refer to their website for guaranteed details but these optional campgrounds have been McCargoe Cove, Belle Isle, Daisy Farm, Chippewa Harbor and Malone Bay.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013