Newbies first trip to IR

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

terry.dunn
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Newbies first trip to IR

Post by terry.dunn »

Good morning everyone,

I have spent weeks on this site reading everything I can, I have enjoyed it immensely. This Aug 2016 I plan on my first trip to IR. So far I will be alone. I plan on going for 4 days on the island. I have NO backpacking experience other than when I was 16 years old. Im now 60, in good health. I walk 3 to 4 miles a day for simple exercise. I will take a few weekend trips this year to get used to the equipment. I have read many times that most people over estimate what they can do. I understand that. So my question, What is a good little trip route for 4 days, not over doing it for a newbie?

I plan on leaving out of Copper Harbor since it will get me to the island earlier than from Houghton. Thanks everyone!
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Newbies first trip to IR

Post by 3MTA3 »

I'd suggest taking a water taxi to Moskey and making your way back.

If that doesn't work out, then I'd suggest going to 3 mile, Daisy, and back to Rock Harbor. You can make a loop & not backtrack. While in Rock Harbor, a day hike to Scoville Point &/or renting a canoe to get to the Lookout Louise trail from Tobin Harbor would be wonderful.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

If you can swing the seaplane or drive to Grand Portage, another "good little" 4 day/3 night trip I did was Windigo/Washington Creek and Huginnin Cove. It was pretty laid back, but Huginnin Cove is a beautiful place to hang out, and there's lots a waterfowl and maybe a moose to watch at Washington Creek CG (the shelters are strung out along the creek facing it). Grace Creek Overlook down the Feldtmann Lake trail is a nice little hike I would be sure to get in. You'd have two 5 mile backpacking days and time to day hike or explore--unless you wanted to throw in an up and back to Island Mine.

And if you're settled on R.H. I'll second the previous suggestions!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I'll second 3MTA3's suggestions for Rock/Three Mile/Daisy. Any way you can slice it. It's just challenging enough.

I'll also second Ingo's suggestion...if you can get to the West side of the island, you'll have more of a "remote" feel on the Island...and have lots more options for three- to four-day trips.

Keep us posted on what you decide, and welcome to the forums.
terry.dunn
NewbieCake

Post by terry.dunn »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look at the maps and let you know what I decide.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I think your testing and experience you achieve this Spring as you take some trips at home will help shape your goals and expectations. A west end loop (typically called the Feldtmann loop) can be a very nice 4 day trip if your confidence and strength are good. Its popularity comes in part from the fact that there is no back tracking but the individual segments can be longer at 6, 8 and 10 miles.I think this would be a big undertaking given your self description. Staying close to Windigo by doing the Huginnin Loop, as suggested by others above would be a better choice for the west end.

I suggest you consider a variation of an east end trip. The water taxi to Moskey Basin is presently listed at $166 for one person. Maybe that's not an issue but if you plan your arrival from Copper Harbor correctly you can utilize a regularly scheduled tour to hitch a ride to Daisy Farm for a fraction of the cost, I think in the $40 range. The tour makes 3 trips a week to the Edison Fishery/Rock Harbor Lighthouse and the Peterson's summer wolf/moose study headquarters home which are all very nice to visit and usually missed by people strictly hiking. On their way back you can have the tour boat (MV Sandy) drop you off at Daisy Farm in the late afternoon. Take the Copper Harbor ferry on a Tuesday or Thursday and arrive around 11:30 to noon. Tuesdays and Thursdays the Edison tour leaves Rock Harbor at 2pm. If you take the Copper Harbor ferry on a Friday you could do the Stoll trail loop to Scoville Point Friday afternoon and then take the Edison tour at 9am Saturday morning.

Once at Daisy Farm there is a relatively easy triangle loop to the Greenstone Ridge and back totally less than 6 miles or you can just go up to Mt. Ojibway and back at 1.7 miles each way. A trip to the Greenstone Ridge is always worth the effort, especially if the weather is clear. From Daisy you can head straight back to Rock Harbor at 7 miles or if you're feeling your Wheaties take the longer way back via the Greenstone Ridge and then over to Mt. Franklin before heading down to 3 Mile.

I guess my major point is it's relatively easy to get to Daisy Farm and once there you have several choices, yet you haven't really ventured too far from your ride home (Rock Harbor).
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I personally would try and find a friend to come with you. Not only will you have a great experience together, it's just safer.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

Midwest Ed wrote:I think your testing and experience you achieve this Spring as you take some trips at home will help shape your goals and expectations. A west end loop (typically called the Feldtmann loop) can be a very nice 4 day trip if your confidence and strength are good. Its popularity comes in part from the fact that there is no back tracking but the individual segments can be longer at 6, 8 and 10 miles.I think this would be a big undertaking given your self description. Staying close to Windigo by doing the Huginnin Loop, as suggested by others above would be a better choice for the west end.

I suggest you consider a variation of an east end trip. The water taxi to Moskey Basin is presently listed at $166 for one person. Maybe that's not an issue but if you plan your arrival from Copper Harbor correctly you can utilize a regularly scheduled tour to hitch a ride to Daisy Farm for a fraction of the cost, I think in the $40 range. The tour makes 3 trips a week to the Edison Fishery/Rock Harbor Lighthouse and the Peterson's summer wolf/moose study headquarters home which are all very nice to visit and usually missed by people strictly hiking. On their way back you can have the tour boat (MV Sandy) drop you off at Daisy Farm in the late afternoon. Take the Copper Harbor ferry on a Tuesday or Thursday and arrive around 11:30 to noon. Tuesdays and Thursdays the Edison tour leaves Rock Harbor at 2pm. If you take the Copper Harbor ferry on a Friday you could do the Stoll trail loop to Scoville Point Friday afternoon and then take the Edison tour at 9am Saturday morning.

Once at Daisy Farm there is a relatively easy triangle loop to the Greenstone Ridge and back totally less than 6 miles or you can just go up to Mt. Ojibway and back at 1.7 miles each way. A trip to the Greenstone Ridge is always worth the effort, especially if the weather is clear. From Daisy you can head straight back to Rock Harbor at 7 miles or if you're feeling your Wheaties take the longer way back via the Greenstone Ridge and then over to Mt. Franklin before heading down to 3 Mile.

I guess my major point is it's relatively easy to get to Daisy Farm and once there you have several choices, yet you haven't really ventured too far from your ride home (Rock Harbor).
This!
philranger wrote:I personally would try and find a friend to come with you. Not only will you have a great experience together, it's just safer.
I hope the OP can go with someone else. My friend & I are states apart & went in 2002, but often revisit our trip together in conversations & emails. I long for us to go together again sometime.
terry.dunn
NewbieCake

Post by terry.dunn »

Again, thank you all for your input. As for taking someone, I have been asking around, I get a lot of yea that would be cool, but no one says anything after that. So I will still try but regardless Im going.
Stephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Stephen »

I went solo last august because I got the same response from people I know. I am in my 60's also. I am going back in May for 10 days solo and the few people that said they would like to do this are not going because of reasons unknown. The point is going solo is better than procrastinating and waiting for others to come along.
terry.dunn
NewbieCake

Post by terry.dunn »

Stephen,

My thoughts exactly. I was asking for the last 8 years and could be asking for the next 8 years. Done, booked it and ready to roll. I might even go for longer. Thanks to everyone on this site it will be a reality.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

You'll be fine solo. At that time of the year, you'll see plenty of other people. I've never met an unfriendly or unhelpful person on the island.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

terry.dunn wrote:. . . . regardless Im going.
Good for you. Going alone is never a problem as long as you are aware of your capabilities and limitations. After you do your trial runs you will have a better handle on these things. On my most recent trip I knew my legs and joints could not withstand several miles with even ultralight gear containing all provisions. So I stayed at the Rock Harbor Lodge and made several local hikes and day trips, some partially by boat. They were all with just a day pack with a few survival/convenience items, lunch and water. I did the Scoville Point/Stoll Trail loop one afternoon. Another day, the scheduled boat trip to Hidden Lake with a group hike to Lookout Louise and back. And another boat trip to Rock Harbor Lighthouse which included a one mile hike to/from the Bangsund/Peterson Cabin. Canoe and small outboard power boat rentals are also available.

You've already made the most important step. You can venture out as far as you feel comfortable. Changing plans after your first day can be relatively simple, as long as you don't get too aggressive initially.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

terry.dunn wrote:Again, thank you all for your input. As for taking someone, I have been asking around, I get a lot of yea that would be cool, but no one says anything after that. So I will still try but regardless Im going.
When I started visiting Isle Royale, I had a hard time convincing people to go, as well. Many people are put off by the logistics of getting there (taking a boat, getting the permits, planning around, etc.). Once I figured everything out and BOUGHT the boat, planned the route, etc., other people jumped on it. For me, most people were afraid to take that first step. "If you build it, they will come."

So, plan a solo trip. It will be fun (and something I've wanted to do) and if it's planned out and purchased, maybe one of those "yeah maybe" friends will jump on board once its a reality.

No matter what...you're going to be on Isle Royale. My eyes well up a bit thinking about the amazing experience I have every time I'm there...
terry.dunn
NewbieCake

Post by terry.dunn »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. On another subject, I was reading through about the camp grounds. Is there a problem that there is none open? I mean it might seem like a stupid question...