Itinerary Advice Please [Paddling]

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

senior packrafter
NewbieCake

Itinerary Advice Please [Paddling]

Post by senior packrafter »

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and changes for the following proposed itinerary for my 12 day packrafting/fishing trip:

May 15: 10 hour drive to Copper Harbor ( any suggestions for overnight accommodations?).
May 16: Queen Ferry to Rock Harbor; Tobin Harbor paddle (or Tobin Harbor Trail if wind-prohibitive); Mt. Franklin Trail south to Rock Harbor Trail to Daisy Farm CG.
May 17: Moskey Basin paddle (or Rock Harbor Trail if wind-prohibitive) to L. Richie Trail to L. Richie east side and south arm paddle to Indian Portage Trail to
Chippewa Harbor put-in and paddle to Chip Harbor CG.
May 18: Fish Chip Harbor, L. Mason, and bushwhack to L. Theresa; Chip Harbor CG.
May 19: Bushwhack to Blueberry Cove from western Chip Harbor; paddle or bushwhack to Greenstone Beach then easy bushwhack to L. Dustin and L. Whittlesey put-in
to L. Whittlesey CG.
May 20: L. Whittlesey paddle to Wood L. portage; paddle to Wood L. CG.
May 21: Siskiwit L./Wood L. fishing, Wood L. CG.
May 22: Siskiwit L. paddle to Intermediate L. portage; paddle Intermediate L. to Richie L. portage, paddle to Richie L. Canoe CG.
May 23: Paddle to L. LeSage portage; paddle L. LeSage to Indian Portage Trail to West Chickenbone CG.
May 24: Paddle Chickenbone L. to east end take-out to Greenstone Trail; bushwhack to Angleworm L.; paddle to east end then bushwhack to Benson L.; backcountry
camp between the two lakes.
May 25: Bushwhack back to Greenstone Trail then bushwhack to Sargent L. and backcountry camp.
May 26: Bushwhack back to Greenstone Trail to Mt. Franklin Trail to Three Mile CG.
May 27: Tobin Harbor paddle to Rock Harbor; Stoll Trail (if there is time); Ferry back to Copper Harbor.
Last edited by fonixmunkee on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated topic title for better search results
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Itinerary Advice Please

Post by fonixmunkee »

Wow, you're going all out. First of all, a 10-hour drive to Copper puts you at the top of the hard-core list.

I'm not a paddler, so can't comment on your paddle routes. I will tell you that I've rented a kayak and bombed around Tobin Harbor before, and its a lot of fun. You'll also really love Moskey Basin.

I love the fact that you're doing Whittlesey and Wood Lakes. You'll be all by yourself most of the time you're there, prepare to enjoy the solitude.

Hopefully some paddlers can provide some feedback on your route soon.
senior packrafter
NewbieCake

Re: Itinerary Advice Please [Paddling]

Would this reverse route be better than original itinerary?

May 15: 10 hour drive to Copper Harbor (any suggestions for overnight accommodations?)
May 16; Queen Ferry to Rock Harbor; Tobin Harbor paddle or Tobin Harbor Trail; Mt. Franklin Trail south to Rock Harbor Trail to Daisy Farm CG
May 17: Fish Moskey Basin in morning; Daisy Farm trail to Greenstone Trail west to bushwhack to Angleworm L. and Benson L. and camp in between lakes
May 18: Bushwhack to Sargent L. and camp
May 19: Bushwhack back to Greenstone Tr: paddle Angleworm L. west to end; Greenstone Tr. to Chickenbone L. paddle west to W. Chickenbone CG
May 20: Indian Portage Tr south to L. LeSage paddle to portage to L. Richie and paddle to L. Richie Canoe CG
May 21: Portage to Intermediate L.; paddle west to portage to Siskiwit L.; paddle south to Wood L. CG
May 22: Fish Wood L. and Siskiwit L.
May 23: Portage to L. Whittlesey; bushwhack to L. Dustin and south to Greenstone Beach; paddle or bushwhack east to Blueberry Cove; bushwhack to
Chippewa Harbor and paddle to Chippewa Harbor CG
May 24: Fish Chippewa Harbor and L. Mason; bushwhack to L. Theresa
May 25: Portage to L Richie; paddle north on L. Richie to L. Richie Trail east to Moskey Basin CG
May 26: Paddle Moskey Basin to Daisy Farm take-out; Rock Harbor Tr to Three Mile CG
May 27: Mt. Franklin Tr north to Tobin Harbor; paddle to Rock Harbor; Stoll Tr if there is time; Ferry back to Copper Harbor
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

The paddling sounds great to me. The bushwacking sounds rather aggressive--haven't done any myself, but from others' reports it's never as easy as thought. There's a lot a steep rock faces on the south shores of Whittlesey and Chippewa Harbor so finding good take out/put in spots there may be an issue, although I don't know it well enough for any specifics. But obviously you have the portages at the ends. And you could bushwack to Superior and find the sea state unsafe--it is almost impossible judge from the inland lakes. Just be flexible and willing to change plans if things are questionable.

Remember that your back country permit will specify a specific area on a specific night and unlike a campground itinerary, you're expected to stick to it.

Fort Wilkins St Pk in Copper Harbor is a nice campground and convenient. The Bella Vista and King Copper motels seem to be the most popular for folks heading out to I.R. I stayed at the Minnetonka once and it was fine for a room--small, dated, but clean.

Looking forward to your trip report. Sounds like an adventure!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Looks like an packrafting adventure that is a beast on its own. Hard to comment on such an itinerary without such packrafting experience.
Looking forward to post trip comments though
senior packrafter
NewbieCake

Thanks for the excellent advice Ingo. On my 1:12,500 scale mytopo.com maps it looks like north from Greenstone Beach around the west end of Dustin Lake then up to L. Whittlesey would be a good route. And the western end, south shore, of Chippewa Harbor out near a creek inlet then southwest to Blueberry Cove seems to be another potential bushwhack route. I've been on dozens of fly-in self-guided wilderness trips; hopefully this will be one of the best. "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing" - Helen Keller
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

senior packrafter wrote:I've been on dozens of fly-in self-guided wilderness trips.
Good to know, given your plans :)! (kinda assumed so)
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

I hope you post a detailed trip report with pictures after you're done. This sounds very interesting and fun.
kypaulfg
NewbieCake

Post by kypaulfg »

senior packrafter wrote:Would this reverse route be better than original itinerary?

May 15: 10 hour drive to Copper Harbor (any suggestions for overnight accommodations?)
May 16; Queen Ferry to Rock Harbor; Tobin Harbor paddle or Tobin Harbor Trail; Mt. Franklin Trail south to Rock Harbor Trail to Daisy Farm CG
May 17: Fish Moskey Basin in morning; Daisy Farm trail to Greenstone Trail west to bushwhack to Angleworm L. and Benson L. and camp in between lakes
May 18: Bushwhack to Sargent L. and camp
May 19: Bushwhack back to Greenstone Tr: paddle Angleworm L. west to end; Greenstone Tr. to Chickenbone L. paddle west to W. Chickenbone CG
May 20: Indian Portage Tr south to L. LeSage paddle to portage to L. Richie and paddle to L. Richie Canoe CG
May 21: Portage to Intermediate L.; paddle west to portage to Siskiwit L.; paddle south to Wood L. CG
May 22: Fish Wood L. and Siskiwit L.
May 23: Portage to L. Whittlesey; bushwhack to L. Dustin and south to Greenstone Beach; paddle or bushwhack east to Blueberry Cove; bushwhack to
Chippewa Harbor and paddle to Chippewa Harbor CG
May 24: Fish Chippewa Harbor and L. Mason; bushwhack to L. Theresa
May 25: Portage to L Richie; paddle north on L. Richie to L. Richie Trail east to Moskey Basin CG
May 26: Paddle Moskey Basin to Daisy Farm take-out; Rock Harbor Tr to Three Mile CG
May 27: Mt. Franklin Tr north to Tobin Harbor; paddle to Rock Harbor; Stoll Tr if there is time; Ferry back to Copper Harbor
CURIOUS: Did you make it into Sargent Lake? If so what was your approximate route to and from Sargent Lake?
It’s on my bucket list. This will be our 12th trip to the island.
Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

This is the most extreme trip I ever heard of. If it took place, it is a shame there is no trip report for it. Does you name happen to be Chuck Norris?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)